INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows to Mac - / File Structure \  (Read 1368 times)

Chronic

• World Citizen
Windows to Mac - / File Structure \
« on: December 20, 2020, 11:33:29 am »

Hi there,

I recently switched to Mac and have just transferred all of my music and playlists across to JRiver. I've restored the library and updated the base path, then had to allow JRiver to automatically rename  in order to allow the tracks to play and show in the playlists. However when I import new songs (not from the Windows import) they have a \ file structure in JRiver, whereas the older Windows/base path changed have a / file structure, is this normal?

Edit: I just realized I'm on 26.0.107, I presumed I was on the latest as purchased MC for Mac recently apologies if the thread could be moved please.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Windows to Mac - / File Structure \
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 12:51:26 am »

Yes. macOS is Unix. Unix uses / as the directory separator in pathnames:
https://swcarpentry.github.io/shell-novice/02-filedir/index.html
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 04:48:43 am »

Ok thanks. The only issue I'm really having after everything is migrated and working is when I setup an autoimport it duplicates the files expontentially everytime I run the import.

To get rid of the duplicates I can delete all files from MC, setup the import and it imports ok and all playlists are good, but when I run autoimport again it duplicates all the files. Thanks for the help. :)

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 05:23:36 am »

+1
Hasn't happened before, but for a good while now, MC on Mac adds each song again and again each time import is run. Last time I tried is a couple of weeks ago.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 06:45:11 am »

+1
Hasn't happened before, but for a good while now, MC on Mac adds each song again and again each time import is run. Last time I tried is a couple of weeks ago.
Did you start with a library from Windows?

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 08:54:57 am »

Yes I have.
I have since deleted all content / media, re-imported manually and with auto import, still getting duplicates with each import.
The library is still based on a restore from a Windows back-up, I want to keep all the settings like views and custom fields.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 08:30:31 am »

I tested this again. When starting with a new library on Mac, all works as designed.
Only when working with a library that is a restore of a library that had been created on Windows, duplicate library entries are created with each import.
A fix would be highly appreciated!
Thanks

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 03:40:40 am »

Has there been any update with this?

I found I can actually run an import fine, it's only setting up an auto import that seems to cause the issue of duplicates.

There are still some duplicates in my library but not so many that making a smart playlist to find them and then a bit of sorting can't fix.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 05:10:42 am »

You need to edit your Platform.jmd file:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117593.msg861056.html#msg861056
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,127935.msg887585.html#msg887585

Just replace "[Platform]=Windows" with "[Platform]=Linux" and save the file.

You may need to change existing paths to use / instead of \ as well.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 03:17:34 am »

You need to edit your Platform.jmd file:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117593.msg861056.html#msg861056
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,127935.msg887585.html#msg887585

You may need to change existing paths to use / instead of \ as well.

Thanks for the reply, is the same for Mac as I can't seem to find this platform.jmd file anywhere on my Mac?

If I look at my MC library (Audio > File > then view filename) if I find a file with the \ structure, when I go into 'Rename, Move & Copy' it then shows it with a / structure, so no change to make.

Most of my files imported from Windows already have the / structure, I'm not sure why some still have \.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 03:37:22 am »

The file should by in MC's library folder. It's a hidden folder on your user profile:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121709.msg842105.html#msg842105

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 03:55:15 am »

Thanks for the help, I've managed to find the hidden files now by using the below path in Finder > Go to Folder...

/Users/[YourUserName]/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 26/Library/

I've found the platform.jmd file but not sure how to edit it, If I go to 'get info' there's nothing in there about [Platform] =

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 03:58:43 am »

You need to open the file on a text editor:
https://www.dummies.com/computers/macs/macbook/open-and-edit-text-files-on-your-macbook/

Make an MC backup before you change the file, just in case. File->Library->Library Backup

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 04:25:05 am »

Thanks, I've changed it to Linux now.

I just ran a 'Rename, Move & Copy' on my whole library and it all seems good, I didn't even need to ask it to 'Find and Replace' or 'Convert Path Syntax', it just picked up the file structure change.

I've also setup and ran an autoimport and it all seems to be working fine, no duplicates etc. It's nice to finally have the library homogenized.

Thank you! :)

HaWi

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 10:33:53 am »

This is very useful information. I had restored a Mac library on Linux and the Platform=Apple remained. I don't think it did any harm so far but I changed it anyway. Thanks for explaining this. Maybe this is something MC could do automatically? Surely, MC is aware of the OS it runs under and could just check if it is the same in platform.json, just saying...
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 08:19:28 am »

I've restored a Mac originated library to Linux many, many, times and have never had an issue.

I experimented with Mac to Windows several years ago.  It was weird and I don't remember how it all worked.  It's been a long time.

But the important thing for me here is Mac -> Linux had no real gotchas, other than unicode (or other non-ASCII) letters in file names. 

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up