INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can 1080p laptop forward 4k video signal to 4k TV?  (Read 2077 times)

MediaMongrel

• Recent member
Can 1080p laptop forward 4k video signal to 4k TV?
« on: December 20, 2020, 04:17:34 pm »

Hi everyone,

I did a quick search for "1080p 2160p" on the forum and didn't find an answer to my question... sorry, if this has been asked before. 

If I have a 2160p (4k) video file on the harddrive of a native 1080p 'Full HD' laptop... and that laptop has a Displayport 1.4 capable USB-C output (with an HDMI 2.0b adapter)... can I output and play the 4k signal, via HDMI 2.0b cable, on a 4k TV? 

I had intially just assumed that a laptop's own screen capabilities were disconnected from it's output capabilities. 

But now I'm wondering if maybe the screen resolution's limited 1080p presentation of a 2160p file might mean the laptop will also forward the same downscaled 1080p presentation to the 2160p-capable DisplayPort/HDMI output - and I might therefore end up watching a 1080p signal on my 4k TV  If that were the case, that would be a extremely disappointing!  I'm currently waiting on backorder for such a laptop!

If further laptop spec information is required to answer this question, this is the specific Lenovo laptop in question: 
https://www.cdw.ca/product/lenovo-thinkbook-15-g2-are-15.6-ryzen-7-4700u-16-gb-ram-512-gb-ssd/6307399?pfm=srh

Thanks very much for your help!

MediaMongrel

• Recent member
Re: Can 1080p laptop forward 4k video signal to 4k TV?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 04:23:32 pm »

I'd be playing the 2160p video on my 1080p laptop using JRiver 26 (in Theatre View mode), if that happens to factor into the equation at all.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 05:04:27 pm »

I would expect it to work, but that's only a guess.

wer

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 05:07:13 pm »

I'm guessing you don't have this machine yet, so you can't just try it. This isn't a JRiver question, it's a Lenovo question.

The answer is you probably can. DisplayPort supports it. But I can only do so much in trying to help you. The page you linked to doesn't provide the necessary information, and Lenovo has a plethora of different SKUs called the 15 G2 so it's hard for me to find the critical information and be sure it's the right machine, so I'll point you in the right direction and you'll have to do a bit of work yourself.

There are exactly two ways you can play that to your TV: DLNA (if it's a smart TV) or through the DisplayPort output on the laptop.

If you want to do DLNA and the TV supports it, then yes you can.

Otherwise, it's totally dependent on the maximum resolution and refresh rate your specific laptop supports through its DisplayPort output.  Many laptops can output higher resolutions than their built in display can handle. That is normal. But the exact capabilities vary from model to model and chipset to chipset. The specs you linked to don't mention it.

So you will need to call Lenovo tech support and ask them. "What is the maximum resolution and refresh rate using DisplayPort on this specific laptop? Does it do 2160p @60Hz?"  Then you'll have your answer.  Have them point you to the exact detailed spec sheet for that SKU.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

MediaMongrel

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 05:22:12 pm »

Thanks JimH & wer,

You're right, the laptop isn't yet in my hands.  I'll definitely ask Lenovo about the DisplayPort on this model... thanks for steering me in that direction.

Let's assume for a moment that the DisplayPort output on the laptop is indeed all powerful.  In that case, then... in JRiver, on the laptop screen, I'd see a 1080p video playing; and on the TV, I'd see JRiver playing a native 4k video - correct?   

And for those maybe more familiar with tech specs than I... given this laptop's CPU (Ryzen 7 4700U w integrated Radeon Graphics) and RAM (16gb DDR4 3200mHz)... does it seem likely it'll be capable of playing 4k files smoothly?   

wer

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 07:25:16 pm »

...In that case, then... in JRiver, on the laptop screen, I'd see a 1080p video playing; and on the TV, I'd see JRiver playing a native 4k video - correct?   

No. When you plug something in to the DisplayPort port, you will have a dual monitor PC.  There are tricks Windows and different video drivers can do with screen mirroring and such (google to learn about Windows multi monitor support) but that's not what MC and MadVR will be doing.  You will pick one monitor, the external one - the tv - and output your video to that. The other will show Windows, or be off.

Most modern video chips will be fine for 4k, until you get to 4k @ 60Hz. Then there can be issues based on settings.

Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up