INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV, Receiver, and HDMI Problem (EDID)  (Read 4232 times)

zimmy

• Recent member
TV, Receiver, and HDMI Problem (EDID)
« on: December 07, 2020, 01:19:09 pm »

I just got my id today.  My intention is to use it as a DLNA player with another computer running MC as the DLNA server.  I got the id up and running and entered my license.  I also checked for updates and something was installed.  I can see the Id on my JRemote as a player.  I'm using a wired connection and the id is going into my Marantz 7015 receiver via HDMI.  I've made no setting changes and am running in the text mode.  When I select something to play on my JRemote with the Id as the output it shows as playing on my JRemote app but I get no sound from the speakers.  What am I missing?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: TV, Receiver, and HDMI Problem (EDID)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 01:56:03 pm »

Do Audio Setup on the Id.  Try GUI  mode .  Test playback directly on the Id.

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 04:29:40 pm »

Thanks, as you suggested I went into the GUI and changed my audio device to HDMI Dev 0 and turned on HDMI bitstreaming, and afterwards playback worked.  What's really nice is it will bitstream my 5.1 88.2 KHz FLAC files and every other audio type I've thrown at it.  I was using MC on a NUC 10 with Windows 10 Pro and was unable to bitstream the same files.

Using the GUI I did run into a few buggy issues.  I tried out the Theater view on my 2160p tv.  When I played something with the Id as a DLNA player it worked as expected, but when I hit stop it went to an all white screen.  I could continue to play other music but I had no way of getting out of the white screen and had to reboot.

Also, tried it again in text mode but it again would not play.  I assume its not saving the settings set in GUI when going back to text mode?  Would there be a way for me to get the audio running in text mode?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 08:40:26 am »

Thanks, as you suggested I went into the GUI and changed my audio device to HDMI Dev 0 and turned on HDMI bitstreaming, and afterwards playback worked.  What's really nice is it will bitstream my 5.1 88.2 KHz FLAC files and every other audio type I've thrown at it.  I was using MC on a NUC 10 with Windows 10 Pro and was unable to bitstream the same files.

Using the GUI I did run into a few buggy issues.  I tried out the Theater view on my 2160p tv.  When I played something with the Id as a DLNA player it worked as expected, but when I hit stop it went to an all white screen.  I could continue to play other music but I had no way of getting out of the white screen and had to reboot.

Also, tried it again in text mode but it again would not play.  I assume its not saving the settings set in GUI when going back to text mode?  Would there be a way for me to get the audio running in text mode?
You can use remote desktop or VNC to connect to the Id when it's in text mode and you'll see the same GUI as if it was booted into GUI mode.
You can also do some configuration of the Id through it's web interface called Panel (on the Id's IP address port 52199). The audio device can be changed in Panel for instance. If you need more fine tuned control, say to set DSP studio parameters, you need to use the remote GUI.

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 01:37:02 pm »

You can use remote desktop or VNC to connect to the Id when it's in text mode and you'll see the same GUI as if it was booted into GUI mode.
You can also do some configuration of the Id through it's web interface called Panel (on the Id's IP address port 52199). The audio device can be changed in Panel for instance. If you need more fine tuned control, say to set DSP studio parameters, you need to use the remote GUI.
Thanks for the info.  However, when I go into text mode and use the options you suggest to change the audio device then HDMI is no longer an option on the list and consequently I get no sound.  When I reboot back into the GUI mode I can again see the HDMI option.  Is there a way to access HDMI and be in text mode?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 01:59:57 pm »

Thanks for the info.  However, when I go into text mode and use the options you suggest to change the audio device then HDMI is no longer an option on the list and consequently I get no sound.  When I reboot back into the GUI mode I can again see the HDMI option.  Is there a way to access HDMI and be in text mode?
When you boot in GUI mode the HDMI port on the Id is activated by your monitor.
Boot in text mode requires a partner for the Id to negotiate the connection with.
Your amp should be connected and on when you boot.

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 03:19:02 pm »

When you boot in GUI mode the HDMI port on the Id is activated by your monitor.
Boot in text mode requires a partner for the Id to negotiate the connection with.
Your amp should be connected and on when you boot.
Having the amp and tv on when I boot the Id makes no difference.  Just tried it again and watched it boot on the tv, but still cannot see the HDMI device in the audio devices.  Any other suggestions? 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 04:50:21 pm »

Having the amp and tv on when I boot the Id makes no difference.  Just tried it again and watched it boot on the tv, but still cannot see the HDMI device in the audio devices.  Any other suggestions?
Where are you looking? Through the GUI?
What model of Pi?
Which HDMI port are you using?

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 08:36:53 pm »

Where are you looking? Through the GUI?
After booting the Id in text mode (I've tried both the 2nd Headless and the 3rd with HDMI initialization options), then I have tried to find the audio device using Remote Desktop and also through the Panel interface.

What model of Pi?
I have an Id Nuc 300

Which HDMI port are you using?
I am using the HDMI 1 output from the NUC.  That's going into my receiver and then the receiver is connected to the TV

It works great in GUI mode, so maybe will need to just use that.  But do like the option of the simplicity of plain text

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 08:49:27 am »

After booting the Id in text mode (I've tried both the 2nd Headless and the 3rd with HDMI initialization options), then I have tried to find the audio device using Remote Desktop and also through the Panel interface.
I have an Id Nuc 300
I am using the HDMI 1 output from the NUC.  That's going into my receiver and then the receiver is connected to the TV

It works great in GUI mode, so maybe will need to just use that.  But do like the option of the simplicity of plain text
That's interesting, it sounds like it's only doing the HDMI initialization when it's booting the kernel in GUI mode.
I'll check that with my test one here.

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 11:23:11 am »

That's interesting, it sounds like it's only doing the HDMI initialization when it's booting the kernel in GUI mode.
I'll check that with my test one here.
I'll be curious to hear what you find in your tests.  I cannot get hdmi to work in anything but GUI.  Also, a few more days with the Id NUC and I've had more HDMI issues.  The Id doesn't seem to behave the same every time I recreate the issue - sometimes the hdmi connection breaks sometimes it doesn't, but at some point the connection always breaks.  I cannot just leave the NUC on and be sure it will be responsive when I want to use it.  And that really is KEY, I want it to be a dumb box, dlna renderer that I can leave on and rarely have to mess with.

The typical scenario is like this (again my connection is HDMI as follows NUC > Receiver > LG CX TV)
1. Boot Id in GUI with TV on.  Play some music, all good
2. Stop music, switch the input to the blu-ray, watch some blu-rays, netflix, whatever
3. Turn off the TV, turn off the blu-ray, and receiver
4. Then turn on the receiver, select the NUC input and turn on the TV, but the TV shows no input, and when I try to play music no sound, though JRemote shows it is playing.   I can also RDP into the NUC and the audio device still shows HDMI
5. So I reboot the NUC, wash, rinse, repeat

Is there anyway I can make this thing stable so it doesn't always lose the HDMI connection?  I don't need the video output from the NUC at all, maybe if I could get the text mode working that would solve the problem.  Basically, it seems something about the combination of switching inputs and/or turning the tv on or off is causing the NUC hdmi connection to break.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 01:05:32 pm »

HDMI can be flakey sometimes.  What is the connected device?

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 01:06:55 pm »

HDMI can be flakey sometimes.  What is the connected device?
The connected device is an Id nuc 300

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 01:10:13 pm »

What is it playing to?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 01:12:29 pm »

... the id is going into my Marantz 7015 receiver via HDMI.
Is this still the device you're trying to play to from the Id?

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 01:15:44 pm »

Is this still the device you're trying to play to from the Id?
Yes.  The Id NUC 300 is connected via HDMI to my Marantz 7015 receiver (2.1 HDMI which I assume is irrelevant but just in case).  The Marantz is then connected via HDMI to my LG CX tv.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 01:20:35 pm »

I see that you also are connecting the receiver to a TV, probably with HDMI.

It's probably not a problem with the NUC, but with EDID (HDMI communication).  Try a Google search.  Here's an example of what you may find:
https://www.epiphan.com/blog/what-is-edid-and-why-is-it-important/

The order in which you turn on your devices may matter.

Try connecting to the receiver without turning the TV off or on.  Does that work?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 01:39:18 pm »

HDCP can also be a problem.  It requires newer cables.  Try Google to learn more.  It could be why you have trouble when you play a Blu-ray disc.

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 01:42:32 pm »

Try connecting to the receiver without turning the TV off or on.  Does that work?

The problem is even if it does work then it's just a matter of time that because of normal usage of switching inputs and turning the tv on and off that something will break the HDMI connection.  I understand what you are saying about it not being the NUC's fault but if it can't reliably communicate with my other devices it doesn't really matter whose "fault" it is.  The bottom line will be the Id doesn't work for me.

I was trying to boot in text mode and use the HDMI that way, but as you can see in the earlier posts that isn't working for unknown reasons.   Could text mode fix the hdmi connection issues?

Is there any way to have this device just be like a little toaster (even without video output) that just works regardless of whether inputs are changed or the tv is off or on?

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 01:47:12 pm »

HDCP can also be a problem.  It requires newer cables.  Try Google to learn more.  It could be why you have trouble when you play a Blu-ray disc.
I don't know if this refers to my issue.  I have no issues playing Blu-ray discs.  I am using a brand new 18 GBps HDMI cable, so that isn't the issue.  Seems some details get lost in the myriad of posts so let me repost my earlier response:

Quote from: JimH on Today at 01:20:35 pm
"Try connecting to the receiver without turning the TV off or on.  Does that work?"

The problem is even if it does work then it's just a matter of time that because of normal usage of switching inputs and turning the tv on and off that something will break the HDMI connection.  I understand what you are saying about it not being the NUC's fault but if it can't reliably communicate with my other devices it doesn't really matter whose "fault" it is.  The bottom line will be the Id doesn't work for me.

I was trying to boot in text mode and use the HDMI that way, but as you can see in the earlier posts that isn't working for unknown reasons.   Could text mode fix the hdmi connection issues?

Is there any way to have this device just be like a little toaster (even without video output) that just works regardless of whether inputs are changed or the tv is off or on?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 01:52:19 pm »

It is a device that just works.   It's not a toaster, though.

Your problem is likely the HDMI connection(s).  We can't solve that for you.

Leaving the TV off was a test.  It might point to where the problem is.

It's also possible that it might work better connecting to the TV, then routing sound back to the receiver.  Removing the Marantz from the setup just to test might tell you something.

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2020, 02:16:12 pm »

Leaving the TV off was a test.  It might point to where the problem is.
If I leave the TV off and boot up then it works, if I leave the TV on and boot up it works.  The problem is when I then later switch to another input, turn the tv on or off, and then switch back to the NUC.  I haven't been able yet to precisely identify and replicate the steps that break the connection, but through normal usage at some point maybe an hour maybe a day later the hdmi connection becomes broken.

I have no problem tinkering and debugging and going through everything to make it work, because I really like MC and JRemote (which I've been using for over a decade) and when the Id does work it is the best at playing my library so far.  I want it to work and I appreciate your help.

So is there anything that can be done on the NUC, like booting in text mode, or disabling video output that would make the NUC able to not ever lose hdmi connection?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 03:36:27 pm »

So is there anything that can be done on the NUC, like booting in text mode, or disabling video output that would make the NUC able to not ever lose hdmi connection?
It sounds like the link between the receiver and the TV is the problem.  Did you try reading about EDID?  Or outputting to the TV first, then the receiver?

There are devices made to solve the EDID problem. 

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2020, 05:12:48 pm »

It sounds like the link between the receiver and the TV is the problem. 

It doesn't cause an issue on any of my other devices.  I don't have to reboot my cable box every time I switch away from its input.  Seems my setup would be pretty standard, so is this loss of HDMI connection a common issue?

I'll look more into EDID as you suggest.  What about something like this that converts HDMI audio to Multi-Channel LPCM and use the 6-channel surround RCA input in my receiver.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J31S7TT/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_glc_fabc_S091FbPVABQ1Z

That sounds like it would allow me to bypass the HDMI video altogether and could theoretically be a solution.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2020, 05:32:04 pm »

You said you had new HDMI cables.  Both?  What is the number on them?

HDCP is a possible cause.

https://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg-explains-how-hdcp-breaks-your-hdtv-and-how-to-fix-it/

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2020, 05:40:07 pm »

https://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg-explains-how-hdcp-breaks-your-hdtv-and-how-to-fix-it/
I have a 1 meter 18 GBps cable going from the NUC to the receiver.  This is the cable
https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/hdmi-4k-8k/cinnamon

I have a 5 meter 48 GBps cable going from the receiver to the TV
https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/hdmi-8k-10k/cinnamon-48

I haven't had any problems playing Blu-rays, so I really don't think cables are the issue. 

Edit: Bob mentioned back on the 10th testing the Id with HDMI in text mode.  Any progress on that?  I'd like to be able test the text mode and see if I still have the hdmi connection issues.  As it stands now HDMI is only available using the GUI mode.

oneklakes

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2020, 01:56:00 pm »

@Zimmy

Thanks for responding re: playback of mkv files. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Given your experience with the 4K file though, I agree that it might be better to look at something else going forward.

BTW, I did read your previous posts on HDMI. Since I just got my Sony A8H, I'll post back if I run into something similar!

mosser

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2020, 03:31:18 pm »

@Zimmy

Thanks for responding re: playback of mkv files. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Given your experience with the 4K file though, I agree that it might be better to look at something else going forward.

BTW, I did read your previous posts on HDMI. Since I just got my Sony A8H, I'll post back if I run into something similar!

Has there been any resolution to the open issues about 4k and MKV video playback?  I am considering the Id since native JRiver support on QNAP was killed (and that's why I bought the darn QNAP in the first place!).  I have a Marantz SR5015 reciever, similar to the one Zimmy writes about, so his questions are relevant to me.  I recently posed some related questions about the Id to JRiver and here were their responses:

- does my PC need to have the same version of JRiver as what's installed
in the Id?

They do not need to be the same version. In the case of syncing
libraries between the Id and Media Center, both versions must be running
the latest version of Media Center 22 or newer. This mainly has to do
with a library change that happened around that time.

- Does the Id license enable me to upgrade the PC version?

No. The Id license is for the Id only. It cannot be used for any other
Media Center platform.

- I want to pass not just audio, but video from my NAS > the Id > to the
receiver.  What is the resolution cap on the video (4k?)?  This will be
a wired connection

It should be able to handle 4K video fine.

- can the Id stream video to other devices via UPnP?  I have an Onkyo
NR-737 receiver and a Samsung smart TV in another room that would be the
destination (either device, preferably the receiver).  This will be a
wireless connection.  What is the resolution cap on the video (1080p?)

My experience with Samsung smart TVs is that they usually support DLNA,
so they should just show up as a playback zone. I have no experience
with UPnP or Onkyo receivers. It would be better to ask on the forum. As
for resolution, 4K might even work over WiFi.

- can my PC serve as the metadata editor with the Id as the client?  I
don't want to have to use a wireless keyboard connected to the Id to
edit metadata on my TV.

Yes, but the setup is different if the Id is the client or the server.

- can I install Roon on the Id as another player for when I want to
access certain features like the artist bios, lyrics, and such?

No. The Id is a closed system. Users do not have terminal access for this.

- will JRemote work as it did when JRiver was installed on the QNAP?

Yes

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 10:35:36 am »

This is the device I use to stop the my NUC falling out with the TV,

It is a passthru device normally but learns the EDID of the TV and presents it to the NUC all the time so it believes the Telly is still there works like a dream for me?

https://www.directnine.uk/products/gefen-exthdedidpn-hdmi-detective-plus?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv9vF-5uF7gIVp-jtCh3WqgGrEAYYASABEgKTDfD_BwE

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2021, 04:53:14 am »

It doesn't cause an issue on any of my other devices.  I don't have to reboot my cable box every time I switch away from its input.  Seems my setup would be pretty standard, so is this loss of HDMI connection a common issue?

I'll look more into EDID as you suggest.  What about something like this that converts HDMI audio to Multi-Channel LPCM and use the 6-channel surround RCA input in my receiver.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J31S7TT/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_glc_fabc_S091FbPVABQ1Z

That sounds like it would allow me to bypass the HDMI video altogether and could theoretically be a solution.

Try one of these
It basically learns the EDID of the TV and always presents it to the NUC ...

I have an arrangement where I have cable from Nuc to Audio Extractor to TV
The route now is NUC, Audio Extractor, Detective,  TV

If the TV is off or not selected Nuc still see's it as a Panasonic TV.

The company I bought it from let me have on sale or return

https://www.rcblogic.co.uk/product/gefen-hdmi-detective-plus

Dazed and Confused

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2021, 09:51:58 am »

Did this problem ever get fixed?  I have the same Marantz receiver and am considering purchasing an Id NUC, but this gives me pause.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2021, 10:31:40 am »

Did this problem ever get fixed?  I have the same Marantz receiver and am considering purchasing an Id NUC, but this gives me pause.
The problems of EDMI aren't a JRiver problem.  There are other devices that solve it.  Here's one we ordered recently.  I'm not sure if Bob has tried it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/fit-Headless-Emulator-Headless-Acceleration-1920x1080/dp/B08RCH47KL/
Pages: [1]   Go Up