INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Create Audio CD's with Release Version?  (Read 2557 times)

chaznet

• World Citizen
Create Audio CD's with Release Version?
« on: April 08, 2003, 06:55:59 pm »

Still waiting for audio CD's to finalize -- is this something being worked on?   ?

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1049400582

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Create Audio CD's with Release Version?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 07:48:10 pm »

I was actually going to just post about this.

It would be greatly appreciated if we could get some word when work had been done on MC9 that you guys believe will fix our CD burning problems.

I really don't enjoy wasting a blank with every build of MC to see if the problem has been fixed.  Please don't make me waste all kinds of money on blank CD's to test a problem without at least letting us know when you think you might have fixed it.

I don't mind burning a coaster to let you know if your intended fix has worked, but I don't want to waste them on the hope that maybe it's been looked at.

I've sent the cd log to JohnT. I'm waiting for a reply before I test cd burning again.

Thanks guys. :)

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 07:52:32 pm »

You should be able to use RW's to test, although there is no function in MC to erase them, so don't throw out Nero/ECDC/Stomp yet. I'll try it myself tomorrow.

10-27

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 07:57:16 pm »

Unfortunately I don't have any CDRW's and I don't know that I should have to go buy one to test this.

There used to be a way to erase CDRW's in MC. If click Burn CD, then click on the CDRW drive, under the Options button is an option to erase a CDRW disc.

chaznet

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 08:02:44 pm »

Most audio players, mine included, won't play CDRW's.  To test it properly, a CDR is needed.

xen-uno

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 08:09:31 pm »

The point is to see whether MC finalizes the disk. If it does for an RW, then you should be good to go with an R. RW's are nearly as cheap as R's nowadays, and they're very handy to have around.

10-27

edit...or is MC going through the motions (no errors) but the resultant CD's do not play correctly on your other equip?

chaznet

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 08:56:38 pm »

Thanks for your attempt to help xen-uno, no need to repost the details about the issue again, it's been posted several time previously...  If you're not experiencing the issue, congratulations...

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 05:02:23 am »

I'll see if I can get this fixed soon. The last couple days I was wrapped up in another project. When it's fixed, you'll see something in the history about "Fixed: audio CD's not finalizing".

Thanks for helping on this.

- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2003, 05:18:56 am »

RE: my post above...

In the immortal words of my girlfriend... "Did that sound bitchy?"

It wasn't meant to, honest. I've just gone through half a spindle a cd's testing this out, and I remember going through nearly 2 spindles beta testing ver. 8.

I honestly didn't even know you could burn an audio cd onto a CDRW. I thought I remember reading somewhere that it wouldn't work, but maybe it was just that part about not being able to play them afterwards.

Oh, well. If I had one, I'd try it.

xen-uno

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2003, 07:00:07 am »

Doof,

"I honestly didn't even know you could burn an audio cd onto a CDRW.... but maybe it was just that part about not being able to play them afterwards"

Just tested doing an audio burn on an RW (on B145). Worked perfectly (CD-text as well). My drive is a Yam F1 Ext USB. Tested out in my SlimX 350...:D. Odds are that if the drive can read RW's, then it more than likely can play Audio RW's.

And the option to erase RW's is there as well, so that's groovy. Funny that you can't burn correctly out of your drive, while I can't rip/playback out of mine. But all will be well soon.

10-27

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2003, 07:31:39 am »

Doof (and chaznet), does the same problem occur if you have "test mode" checked? That way you won't need to ruin CD's while testing. I'm emailing a cdwriter control with more diagnostics.
Meantime, a few things to try:

1. check in your devices settings (for ripping) and turn off any auto actions (set to "Nothing" for audio CD's and DVD's)
2. turn off the CD auto-run feature in XP
3. try burning just one or two tracks at a slow speed (4X?)
4. uncheck "direct decode" in burning options.

Thanks!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2003, 07:44:10 am »

Funny that you can't burn correctly out of your drive, while I can't rip/playback out of mine. But all will be well soon.

Yeah... When MC first went into beta, I could burn fine. Then for a while there I couldn't burn at all. Then it was working again, and now this. :P

I haven't tried ripping. I don't use MC for ripping. I use EAC, but only because it supports CUE sheet creation. <HINT SUBTLETY="0">If MC would do this, I would use it for everything. </HINT> hehe

xen-uno

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2003, 07:45:27 am »

...adding to JT's post and in case not mentioned before. If running XP do you have the built in burning turned off?

To do so...
Right click on the My Computer icon and select properties.      
Find your RW drive and right click on icon. Select Drive properties.      
Go to the Recording tab and uncheck "Enable CD recording on this drive"    
Reboot

10-27

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2003, 08:10:03 am »

chaznet-

Do you have the same problem with both your Matsushta and your TDK burners?

chaznet

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2003, 08:50:24 pm »

Turned off XP burning as xen-uno explained and unchecked the direct-decode option, now the CD's are finalizing.  Not sure which of the 2 fixed it, but it's working...  ;D

nila

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2003, 11:44:18 pm »

Waste a CD and find out which one it was :)

Turn one of them back on again and see if it finalises, if it does you know it's the other one. If it doesn't it's that one.

It'd just be good to work out if it was a bug with MJ's direct decoding or if it was a bug with XP.

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2003, 04:51:05 am »

I'll second what Nila said. To make it more confusing, Doof turned off the CD "auto play" feature in MC and that also seemed to fix the problem. So now we have three possible fixes!?
It would be great if the people experiencing this problem could narrow it down to which of the three things did the trick.

Thanks!

chaznet

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2003, 10:54:32 pm »

I tested it...  The CD finalized with XP burning on, but not with 'direct decode' on.  That's it for now though, as my spindle of CDR's is pretty much a bunch of coasters...

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2003, 04:41:43 am »

Hi chaznet,

Thanks for testing that. Have you tried checking the "test mode" option box and does it still fail if you do? That would be good information for helping troubleshoot the problem.

If you're not aware of it, test mode means the laser will not be turned on so you won't create any coasters. Usually problems you are having will occur whether in test mode or not, but some problems only occur with test mode disabled.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2003, 05:23:35 am »

My problem still happened in test mode. So that was nice. I wish I had realized that before. :P

I'll definitely keep that in mind in the future, though.

JohnT

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2003, 10:59:21 am »

Doof,

Did you try with "direct decoding" unchecked? It would be interesting information if that worked for you as it did for chaznet. You'd want to test it with the "auto action" for CD's enabled again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up