INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suddenly Can No Longer Add Cover Art from a File  (Read 532 times)

StickFigure

• Recent member
Suddenly Can No Longer Add Cover Art from a File
« on: January 15, 2021, 02:44:12 pm »

Hi all. Newbie here, only been using MC 27 (27.0.43) for Windows for a few weeks. (Win 10)

I tried searching the 'Help' section and couldn't find anything on this problem so here goes:

I am ripping my entire cd collection, about 600 cd's +/-. Until a few minutes ago all was well.
I've ripped 400+ and, for the most part, the album artwork has been available online. On the approximately 40 or so instances where I have had to add art. I've scanned the artwork from the disk at 300 dpi, saved it and been able to add it from my album art folder.
Suddenly it won't let me add art any more. The ability appears to be there, that is, the menu selection is available, click on it and it takes me to my art folder, I select the image, then select 'Open' and nothing happens.
I've tried closing MC 27 and restarting the program.
Restarting the PC.
Shutdown and reboot.
No joy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Suddenly Can No Longer Add Cover Art from a File
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 02:59:48 pm »

Just one image?

Try copy and paste into the cover art image in the tag window.

Check the properties of the image file.  It should be Read / Write.

Check the file type.   JPG?

StickFigure

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 04:53:19 pm »

JimH,
Thanks for the reply.
Answer your questions first - Read/Write = True and the file is a 300 dpi .jpg file.

I have no idea what happened but the problem seems to be fixed.
I have no idea how it got fixed.
I did what I had done 3 or 4 times before I posted, that is, I deleted the file to 'remove from library and send to recycle bin'.
Quit MC27. Relaunched MC27, ripped the disk again and this time it worked.

I think I'm going to uninstall/reinstall the software (if I can find out the proper way to do that).

Thanks again.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 05:08:48 pm »

Uninstalling and reinstalling won't ever be necessary.

StickFigure

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 02:48:01 pm »

I have figured out what's going on and how I accidentally got around this.
As a point of interest, this problem only happened when i was ripping my Classical collection and it happened enough that I was able to duplicate the problem and figure out a work-around. These disks tend to have long names attached to the tracks, (see attached jpeg).

So here's what happens: I insert a cd of Classical music and get the error in the attached picture.
I select the 'Yes' radio button and off MC goes ripping the disk. When MC is finished I'm presented with the generic music note thumbnail.
I right click the thumbnail, go down to 'cover art > add from file >' double click the thumbnail and nothing happens.
I tried quitting MC 27 and reopening, quitting and doing a shutdown/reboot, uninstalling MC 27, reinstalling and still had the problem.
Here's how I got around it: After I get the error I immediately right click to delete the file, select 'Remove from library and send to recycle bin'. Next I quit MC27 then restart. I insert the same cd and this time when I click 'Rip CD' I don't get the error and it goes to show the rip progress and all the file names are truncated.
The rip finishes and when I right click the generic thumbnail it now allows me to insert the art.

FYI: In 'File Location > (CD rips and Podcasts)', 'Folder rule' is set to [Artist\Album]\ and 'Filename rule' is set to [Artist] - [Name]. There isn't anything shorter.

If there is a better way to deal with this I'd appreciate the input. I've only been using MC27 for a few weeks and, for the most part, it simply works. This is really the only problem I've had so far.
Cheers!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 04:42:32 pm »

Classical is more of a problem than most genres because users who enter data don't agree on what the Album and Artist should be.  They vary a lot.

The brackets in your naming, for instance.

The problem above is at least partially the length of the path and file name.

MC27 has an option to allow longer filenames.  It's a Microsoft issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up