INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: remove tags doesnt remove name from movies  (Read 649 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
remove tags doesnt remove name from movies
« on: January 21, 2021, 03:25:43 am »

I have a bunch of mkv movies, I am trying to import them and get "get movie & tv info" to work properly.

The name tag in the mkv (called 'Title' by Windows File properties) file can be reviewed with Windows properties as well. For many of these files this is set to their original filename. I have since renamed them, but Get movie & tv info seems to default to using this name/title field inside the tags of the mkv file.

So I figured let's remove all those tags, remove the files from MC and reimport them and see what happens.

Everything came back the way it was.

I searched for sidecars, removed them, double checked MC settings for saving sidecars. Repeated the remove tags, remove the files from MC and reimported them once more.

Everything came back the way it was.

So I checked with Windows, file properties, details tab. The Title (MC tag 'Name') is still set to the original filename those files had. I repeat the steps, check File Properties, nothing changes. MC doesn't remove this tag.

Why doesn't that work?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
Re: remove tags doesnt remove name from movies
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 03:57:46 am »

I think MC doesn't write tags back to the Video files, only Audio. You can use some other MKV tag editor to clear the tags on those files though.

I wrote this tool to help fetch Movie info and covers for a bunch a movies at a time. It tries to cleanup the filename and uses it to search for the movie, or you can manually enter an IMDB ID, or edit the name/year to help the tool find it. It gets a few more details that MC doesn't, like IMDB rating, actor thumbnails, etc.:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125575.0.html

There's a wiki page on how to use. The v1 thread has more info too.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 05:00:54 am »

Thanks! Appreciate the reply, I think you have a nice tool there. Kudo's for that!

However I think MC should be able handle this as well so if its true that MC doesn't write back tags to (video) files that support internal tagging, then please consider this a feature request.

https://matroska.org/technical/tagging-video-example.html

Or, since the rest of the world hardly uses internal tagging in mkv files, don't use tags at all and rely on folder/filenames exclusively. The rest of the world seems to do that (plex, kodi, etc). I don't quite understand why MC would rely on a tag for getting movie info, and not properly write them back after fetching the correct info. Either way, please consider making a choice and implement it properly because the way its now its half baked ::) :-*.

vairulez

• World Citizen
HTPC : Dell workstation, windows 10, GT 1030, Lynx Two B
zone 1 : 2 Chevin Research Q6 + DIY speakers
zone 2 : Lake People G93 + HD650
zone 3 : 2 yamaha HS80M

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 12:27:04 am »

Or, since the rest of the world hardly uses internal tagging in mkv files, don't use tags at all and rely on folder/filenames exclusively. The rest of the world seems to do that (plex, kodi, etc). I don't quite understand why MC would rely on a tag for getting movie info, and not properly write them back after fetching the correct info. Either way, please consider making a choice and implement it properly because the way its now its half baked ::) :-*.

Good idea. This would also fix a 30 second hang that frequently occurs when MC tries to read video tags which I've documented in a different thread.

There is another subtle problem with MC reading but not writing mkv tags that has bitten me many times over the years. Updating the library from tags does not seem to overwrite [Name] which is good, but does overwrite [Rating] which is bad. I've lost many ratings by not paying attention. Why update library from tags? Because this is the only way I've found to force MC to update the codec fields like [Compression], which for some reason often take several updates before MC gets them right.

By the way, MC does write to some video formats, for example wmv and a few others I think, but not the main formats mkv and mp4.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 03:35:50 am »

Good idea. This would also fix a 30 second hang that frequently occurs when MC tries to read video tags which I've documented in a different thread.
(...)
Because this is the only way I've found to force MC to update the codec fields like [Compression], which for some reason often take several updates before MC gets them right.

I've also mentioned this problem before. I've just started a new thread about it:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,128348.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up