INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: ReRip  (Read 4647 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
NEW: ReRip
« on: January 25, 2021, 12:32:02 pm »

We're adding a new feature in MC 27.0.68 or above.  It allows you to re-rip a CD.  If you've already ripped it, MC will tell you that it's been done before, then, if the original is lower quality, it will ask if you'd like  to use the metadata (cover art and tags) from the previous rip, and (optionally) to remove the original.

This is for people who initially ripped to a lossy format like MP3, but later decided to rip to a lossless format like FLAC.

It also serves to warn you if you're ripping a CD for the second time.

The first part (checking for a previous rip) is working already in 27.0.58.  The second part (copying metadata from the previous rip) is coming soon.

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
Re: NEW: ReRip
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 02:56:33 pm »

Great idea, nice and practical feature !
Thanks.

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 01:22:22 am »

Thanks JimH

I am definitely in that category!
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 01:03:32 am »

We're adding a new feature that allows you to re-rip a CD.  If you've already ripped it, MC will tell you that it's been done before, then, if the original is lower quality, it will ask if you'd like  to use the metadata (cover art and tags) from the previous rip, and (optionally) to remove the original.

This is for people who initially ripped to a lossy format like MP3, but later decided to rip to a lossless format like FLAC.

It also serves to warn you if you're ripping a CD for the second time.

The first part (checking for a previous rip) is working already in 27.0.58.  The second part (copying metadata from the previous rip) is coming soon.

Nice idea!

How do you test & compare the quality?
How what is considered same CD?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 06:44:57 am »

Nice idea!

How do you test & compare the quality?
How what is considered same CD?
We don't compare quality.  That's up to you.

We look at what you have in your library.  If the Album and Artist match, we warn you (because you may have ripped it before) and ask you what you want to do.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 09:40:39 pm »

We don't compare quality.  That's up to you.

But, you say in the original post

" if the original is lower quality, it will ask if you'd like  to use the metadata (cover art and tags) from the previous rip, and (optionally) to remove the original"

So, if it thinks the quality is lower, how does it determine that? Or was the original statement incorrect?

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 08:26:31 pm »

Nice feature indeed but if MC would make it easier to find missing files or replace existing files with newer ones this would be more useful as file replacement can come from anywhere, not only a re-rip. For example a new purchased hi-res file to replace a red book version. This would also take care of files being renamed or changed outside of MC and ending up being reimported again.

One handy "feature" iTUnes has is to bring up a pop-up to find missing files from the library on a hard drive. I know this can all be done with Rename Move & copy Files or just change the Date Imported manually but I've always been hoping that MC would be a bit smarter at trying to re-associate missing files in the library proactively on import with a pop-up to try to match missing files with new entries with the option to transfer tags from those missing files to the new "upgraded" lossless hi-res version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up