INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paid apps with no google play on privacy phone?  (Read 1013 times)

lightsout

• World Citizen
Paid apps with no google play on privacy phone?
« on: February 02, 2021, 05:42:35 pm »

Trying to be more privacy minded and now running an android device with no google. This of course means no play
store. Getting access to sideloading free apps is no biggie, but paid is another story.

Is there any way to access jremote (paying of course) unconnected from a google account?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Paid apps with no google play on privacy phone?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 05:49:10 pm »

Is there any way to access jremote (paying of course) unconnected from a google account?
I don't think so.  Google and Apple control the markets.  I know of no way to sell software for Android or iOS that doesn't use their marketplace (and pay the price).

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 05:51:43 pm »

I guess some developers do it by sending apk's and using Paypal. But I would imagine they are on a smaller scale than you guys.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:18:28 pm »

I don't think so.  Google and Apple control the markets.  I know of no way to sell software for Android or iOS that doesn't use their marketplace (and pay the price).

I use oziexplorer which is not in the app store. You download it from their website and pay them for a license. It is not without issues. When I switch devices I have to email them for a new serial number to unlock it.

I bought Poweramp (an audio player) years ago from their website. The code still works with the version from their site, but not the play store version.

Trying to be more privacy minded and now running an android device with no google. This of course means no playstore. Getting access to side loading free apps is no biggie, but paid is another story.
There are payed programs where you can sign into your google account then transfer the apps to a connected device. It doesn't give you an apk that can be shared. In my experience some simple apps worked but many did not. JRiver stuff didn't last I tried.

I would love to be able to side load JRemote and JRiver and I hope they will consider it. It would be easier than making a new app for Linux phone or my 2010 blackberry.

For remotes the most elegant way to do it would be to add a remote tier to the master license so you could just use your MC code to activate it on android. Another option would be to make a free version of the remotes that only works with MC when MC it is licensed for remotes. The later wouldn't work with JRiver for android though.

One obvious upside to side loading is JRiver would get 100% of the app purchase. Another is that people like myself would repurchase the app. A downside is that keys could be shared online, but would that hurt more than the cut from google?

In the interim you could try Upplay on a linux PC as an audio remote.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 05:49:54 pm »

I use oziexplorer which is not in the app store. You download it from their website and pay them for a license. It is not without issues. When I switch devices I have to email them for a new serial number to unlock it.

I bought Poweramp (an audio player) years ago from their website. The code still works with the version from their site, but not the play store version.
There are payed programs where you can sign into your google account then transfer the apps to a connected device. It doesn't give you an apk that can be shared. In my experience some simple apps worked but many did not. JRiver stuff didn't last I tried.

I would love to be able to side load JRemote and JRiver and I hope they will consider it. It would be easier than making a new app for Linux phone or my 2010 blackberry.

For remotes the most elegant way to do it would be to add a remote tier to the master license so you could just use your MC code to activate it on android. Another option would be to make a free version of the remotes that only works with MC when MC it is licensed for remotes. The later wouldn't work with JRiver for android though.

One obvious upside to side loading is JRiver would get 100% of the app purchase. Another is that people like myself would repurchase the app. A downside is that keys could be shared online, but would that hurt more than the cut from google?

In the interim you could try Upplay on a linux PC as an audio remote.
Thanks for the info, to do the thing you said about logging into playstore the device also has to be tied to google account so that is a no go.
Thats a bummer seems like this is the first app that won't work with the new setup. Need to figure out another way to stream music from home.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 11:47:52 am »

Thanks for the info, to do the thing you said about logging into playstore the device also has to be tied to google account so that is a no go.
Thats a bummer seems like this is the first app that won't work with the new setup. Need to figure out another way to stream music from home.
I sent you a PM. You install the software onto your PC. Sign into playstore in the software then plug in your phone to transfer apps to it. Like I said it didn't work with JRiver stuff last I tried but it may help you with your other payed apps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up