INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A little support for YADB.  (Read 1718 times)

Marko

A little support for YADB.
« on: April 09, 2003, 11:16:19 pm »

I mentioned before that I was moving my cd catalogue from "where-is-it" to MC.....

I don't know how many for sure, but there's over 100 of 'em, and YADB returned the correct info for all but 4 or 5 of them, and only a couple of those needed some tidying up (Case fixing, partial track names, year info added etc.).

It returned info for "kennedy & coleman's - The Doors Concerto" and when I stuck that in the drive I was truly not expecting a result. I was beginning to get a little frustrated, as I wanted at least one failure, just so's I could see the "submit info" dialogue in action!!!

I didn't mind uploading the failed cd's info, now I know they're in the database if I ever need them again. The above success rate is way, way, way better than when I first started using MJ8.

You need to remember, everyone's gotta start somewhere. I remember a few years ago when Windows Media Player (pardon my language) was lucky if it got a 20% success rate. The likes of CDDB and freedb are only as good as the info uploaded to them.

Give YADB a chance to catch up guys, you can even help it on it's way by uploading any missing cd info, I'm sure it will evolve into a service equal to, if not better than, its rival db's.

to JRiver......
The posts knocking YADB far outweigh those that support it. It's a well known fact that it's much easier to complain than to praise, and I suppose, when you pay for something, all you ask is that "it does exactly what it says on the tin". Perhaps it might be worth considering a link from inside early MC 9 (final) releases that points to a page explaining the why's and wherefore's regarding YADB and its infancy etc. If users understand the situation, they be a little more sympathetic and supportive, rather than head straight here grumbling (quite rightly) that they're "a little dissapointed" with the service. "word of mouth" is a powerful thing, and the more "positives" there are flying around, the better.

I tell people who ask me about "what I use for music" on my pc about the potential cd lookup failures, letting them know the briefest of history, and assuring them it will improve, and most have no complaint, and they feel well pleased coz things wern't as bad as they'd thought they would be. The ones that did experience too many failures for their liking, dealt with it, because they expected it. Their reaction wasn't "this is crap, it can't even get cd info" and head for add/remove programs!!!

I'm happy with YADB service atm, and thought I'd write this post to help balance the ratio of positive:negative YADB opinions. :D

- Marko.

nila

Re: A little support for YADB.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 11:50:57 pm »

I'd love to just see YADB include the possibility of returning some of it's statistical info to MC so we can see the kind of: 'Favourite Song, etc.' that's displayed when we visit the YADB site.

It'd be great to be able to see a chart within MC of all this info :)

Also, could the YADB functionality within MC include what WMP9 has where you can search the db for your CD if it's not found so if we do home burns of albums that are in YADB, we can search for the album and attach it to our cd's rather than having to enter it all from scratch.

Just a thought :)

Good luck filling up YADB :)

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 02:52:20 am »

I'm a huge fan of YADB.  I get a 95% hit rate and I connect successfully all the time.

Gateley for President (of Antarctica!) ;)

-=Tim=-

Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

peterH

• Recent member
  • All you need is love
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 03:02:50 am »

Go for YADB!
I support it all the way . :)
Peter

nila

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 05:08:06 am »

I have a question about YADB.

I've been submitting my songs to it and I'm just wondering how it works.

Is it a case of the first data submitted is saved or is it a case of all the data is saved and then the most common set of results is used to return info to users or what??

Just wondering how exactly it works as a lot of the stuff I'm submitting is common music and so probably there already.

Anyway, my collection should add a lot of Hip-Hop to the YADB collection :)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 07:42:37 am »

Is it a case of the first data submitted is saved or is it a case of all the data is saved and then the most common set of results is used to return info to users or what??

If you are submitting CDs, all data is saved and you get multiple results (until it gets cleaned up).

If you are submitting single tracks, only the first is accepted (with lots of conditions).

Thanks for the support y'all

j

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2003, 07:48:57 am »

Thanks, Marko, for a long and thoughtful post.  It is much appreciated.

nila

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2003, 07:57:59 am »

Thanks for the quick reply John.

If you only accept one, couldn't the whole submit process be greatly sped up by checking first to see if the file details are submitted? Like just do a quick query on artist and track name to see if it's already in there, if it is it analysis it otherwise it doesn't waste the time if it's not going to be saved?

Also, I'm just wondering how exactly  you guys have set it up to tell which song is which? Would it vary from bitrate to bitrate? - This is just purely out of idle interest, no real reason for asking.

Are you guys planning to manually check and clean all the enteries or how do you plan to do it? Just wondering because if you saved them all you could simply do it automatically by seeing which details were inputted the most commonly and use that as the 'correct' set of results to reply.

I'm just kind of curious how its all works :)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2003, 08:07:21 am »

I don't use YADB. I use freedb.

But that's only because I don't use MC9 to rip.

And that's only because it doesn't support CUE sheet creation.

EAC does.

And EAC uses freedb.

But if MC9 did support CUE sheet creation, then I would use it, and would happily use YADB.

I don't mind entering data now and then. And since I listen to mostly really mundane stuff, then chances are it would all be there anyway.

Plus I really like knowing that YADB has the best support around behind it.

salsbst1

• World Citizen
I'm ready to support YADB....how do I do it?
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2003, 08:18:30 am »

For reasons of workflow and optimal use of computers, I'm not ripping my CDs in MC.... suffice it to say that it is not due to deficiencies in MC.

Anyhoo... does this rule me out as a contributor to YADB?  Or is there a way I can offer up my data to the collective?  By the time MC sees my files they're untagged, but named APEs in the format

Grateful Dead{1972{Europe '72 (Disc 1){01{Cumberland Blues.ape

The source will be freedb as I'm ripping with EAC on the other machine.  If I take note of the CD fingerprint in EAC (I don't know if I can see such a thing, cause this just occurred to me and I'm at work and not with EAC) can I mark that in MC and then submit the data?

Thanks,

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 08:21:23 am »

If you just stick the CD in while MC is running, it will check YADB and give you oppurtunity to submit without needing to rip. It'll use that information just while playing the CD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up