INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver ATMOS Playback  (Read 5135 times)

Marpow

• Recent member
JRiver ATMOS Playback
« on: February 20, 2021, 03:23:46 pm »

I own JRiver MC27 for music only. Works perfect. All my music files are either DSF, WAV, FLAC, etc. I listen either to stereo, 3.0, 4.0, 5.1, all works perfect in the zone I created.
I am USB out from my PC to my exasound 8 channel DAC to the 7.1 channel in back of my AVR, works perfect.
Now ready to listen to ATMOS music files, a friend ripped me a file and is 24/48 with compression of TRUHD and is a MKA file type, plays perfectly as 5.1.
OK, so far JRiver 27 is flawless but I cannot figure out how to get the ATMOS file from JRiver to play all 9 speakers.
I suspect I need to go HDMI out from the PC to AVR, configure the AVR to read the Dolby ATMOS signal?
Also need to create an ATMOS only zone on JRiver to send that signal?
All this said, I am hitting mental road blocks and can't seem to get it?
Any help would be appreciated.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: JRiver ATMOS Playback
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 04:28:49 pm »

Yup - You will need to enable bitstream and then output over HDMI to an ATMOS capable receiver (that will then do the decoding). 

Unfortunately, there is no "ATMOS" or "DTS-X" option in MC's Tools--> Options-->Audio--> Settings-->Bitstreaming--> Custom to enable you to just switch to Bitstreaming for these files (MC uses FFPROBE to analyse files and at this stage it is not "aware" of the meta data extensions to DTS-HD and TureHD). 

So the option is to create a Zone for Bitstreaming and use some library field to trigger it.
JRiver CEO Elect

wer

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 04:35:58 pm »

You'd better inspect the MKV file (with mediainfo) to make sure it includes the Atmos substream.

You have to use bitstreaming over HDMI to send Atmos to the receiver; your receiver must decode Atmos.

You can do that through zones and zoneswitch it you want. You'll have to tag it appropriately to identify it.

rec head

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 06:14:30 pm »

OP - we are assuming that you have an ATMOS speaker layout.

Marpow

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 06:24:33 pm »

OP - we are assuming that you have an ATMOS speaker layout.

Thank you, yes my speaker set up is 5.2.4 (2 LFE outs with 3 subs)
My receiver is the McIntosh MX122 Dolby Atmos enabled.

I guess my first thing to do is to go HDMI out from my PC to an HDMI in of the MX122, I would assume, then I have to get the MX122 to receive the audio signal.
Little confused on the bitstream, is it the HDMI enabled bit stream on the zone I create?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 06:30:30 pm »

Try a Google search for JRiver Bitstreaming.

wer

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 06:39:35 pm »

No, first thing to do is check the file like I said before, to make sure you're not wasting your time.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 06:40:25 pm »

If i recall correctly from another discussion, you cannot bitstream audio only files. That feature is only for audio within video.

Henrick said it was somewhere on top of his to do list, but not aware it was impkdmented yet...
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Marpow

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 06:54:45 pm »

I created a playback zone, called MX122, assuming I can get this to work, I will play the Atmos enabled files through this zone only.
Right click on this zone and go to "Playback Options" selected Bitstreaming: Yes (HDMI). Is that correct?

In the Audio Device  setting I would like the MX122 to show, but it does not.

There is a Zone Switch, but not sure of that?

My other two zones I have used for years Stereo and Multichannel, (I like it that way, personal choice, even though not necessary) I have bitstreaming to DSD.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 07:15:35 pm »

Bitstreaming is a feature of the video engine, audio-only files play through the audio engine.

Dig this out from some old thread.

So unless that changed ... you cannot bitstrem MKA audio only files ...

Now if that audio had somd video ... then you can bitstream
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Marpow

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 08:02:35 pm »

I understand and thank you. I know KODI can play but I am a JRiver dedicated fan, so looks like I need to wait a bit.
BTW, I was able to HDMI out from my PC to the MX122 and I could see my JRiver player on the monitor, but could not get sound.
I feel like i am very close but I guess it is a no go for now.

Marpow

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 07:41:30 pm »

Thanks for help everyone, still trying to make progress. I received a ripped video MKV file with ATMOS.
Downloaded>Put in NAS>imported to my JRiver27. It landed in my video section, my very first one.

Still making progress, but with questions.
How do I set up the new zone/player?
I understand the bitstream needs to be HDMI, but other settings, channels, etc, I am not to sure.
I assume I cannot use a current zone as for music I have the bitstream set to DSD.
Thanks.

wer

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 03:51:16 pm »

Marpow

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 10:13:03 am »

Thanks all for your tips and comments. I was successful in achieving playing an Atmos music release and thought I would share my experience.
1. Ripped (Steven Wilson- The Future Bites- Blu Ray) video and audio Atmos using MKV and Music Media Helper.
2. Moved ripped file to my Synology NAS.
3. Using JRiverMC27 imported from the NAS to the JRiver player. Oops say's imported, but where is it? Up to this point I have had only a music library. Checked VIDEO, there it is in FILES. That was cool that upon import JRiver recognized where to put it.
4. So far 1-3 has been pretty easy, with help of course.
The play back part I had problems, mostly because of my lack of knowledge as to how things move around and get connected. I won't bother with all my trial and error.
5. Created a new zone (add zone) titled Atmos Zone, I have two other zones Stereo and Surround.
From the same PC that holds my JRiver player I went HDMI out to the back of my AVR, I picked an open HDMI port AUX, and the renamed it in the AVR menu, PC HDMI.
In the JRiver Zone Configure tab, this is where I had some problems as I was trying to configure, without the HDMI cable connected.
Figured that out and found my Audio Device-McIntosh -AVR (Intel(R) Display Audio) (WASAPI).
Device Settings: Device: Checked: Open device for exclusive access. The other two just left the recommended choices.
Output Format: Output Encoding: None.
Channels: I have no idea why but I chose 16, it works, I have a 5.2.4 playback system.
Mixing: JRSS (recommended) 
Subwoofer: JRSS 60 HZ
Subwoofer Clarity: Yes, checked.
Bitstreaming: Yes HDMI
6. Playback: Opened up new created Atmos Zone, opened up the HDMI zone on my AVR, opened video file, pressed PLAY and worked great.
My AVR recognized the Dolby Atmos signal and played back in Dolby Atmos.
The 9 speakers all worked the way they should and the 3 subs all worked the way they should. This is compared to the hard disc placed in the Blu Ray player.
The video content showed on the JRiver player and also on my TV screen. In this first experiment the video content is only picture stills of each chapter, so nothing really to look at and for music listening only I can turn off picture on TV and be just left with the music.

Thanks to my Friend and this forum, I was able to break through, hope this can help someone else as it is quite a rewarding experience.

I am left with one question. I picked 16 channels as my playback, would a different setting, one of the others be more appropriate?

I have one negative, I can't figure out. My dedicated PC sits in my audio rack and one of the subs is about 2' away, this one sub is picking up a flutter in the sub and is the action of the PC working, pull out the HDMI cord and the flutter stops. Does not turn up with volume of AVR but if music pauses or stops it is annoying.

Any further help to tighten this up would be appreciated.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 11:41:27 am »

I am left with one question. I picked 16 channels as my playback, would a different setting, one of the others be more appropriate?

I have one negative, I can't figure out. My dedicated PC sits in my audio rack and one of the subs is about 2' away, this one sub is picking up a flutter in the sub and is the action of the PC working, pull out the HDMI cord and the flutter stops. Does not turn up with volume of AVR but if music pauses or stops it is annoying.

When you bit streaming, it doesnt matter number of channel you select, MC ignored it (along with any DSP settings). MC just send whatever audio it gets to receiver undecoded ... its up to receiver to decide what to do with that undecoded audio.

Regarding your sub ... when your PC is connected by HDMI, is noise always there or only present when PC is playing something?

Marpow

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 01:28:49 pm »

Thanks tij,
I reset to (Source Number Of Channells) and works the same, thank you.

The HDMI PC to AVR makes flutter noise with or without signal playing. Cannot hear it, unless I put ear to sub on playback. But can hear a lot with no playback. Right now when I am not listening to an Atmos file I jst unplug the HDMI and solves problem, until I figure out. I suspect the AVR, I was told by the dealer I could get an open box unit to try out and there would be no restocking fee. New unit there would be a 15% restocking fee. He is looking for an open box unit.

Marpow

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 01:38:49 pm »

One other note: My rip of Abbey Road Atmos, which of course are MKV video (chapter files) the gapless function does not work, on all my music files the gapless function works perfect. Everyone knows Abbey Road tracks 10-16 are meant to be gapless.
Any tips on making these video chapters of same album gapless?

Making good progress, ripped Atmos disc, JRiver plays ripped disc in Atmos, my AVR recognizes the Dolby Atmos signal, all channells and amps working perfect, making good progress.

wer

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 02:15:20 pm »

Any tips on making these video chapters of same album gapless?

Yeah, combine them into one file.  Or if you don't know how to remux, then re-rip them into one file.

Gapless is an audio setting. There's no gapless setting support for video which is what you would need to gaplessly play multiple video files.  What you have isn't an album, it's technically a bunch of music videos. :)  If it's a MKV file, it's a video file.

You could try converting to MKA, but I think there's an issue. If you extract the audio track into an audio file, even an MKA that would support Atmos, I think you will lose Atmos playback in JRiver, because as I recall, there's some issue with either MC or LAV where MKA files are handled as audio and therefore aren't eligible for the bitstreaming that would preserve Atmos.  Perhaps Hendrik or someone will correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly about that.

What some people do with music videos, to still be able to play with them as individual tracks even though they're in a single video files, is to use Particles.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles

If when you said "chapter files" plural you actually misspoke, and all these "tracks" already ARE in one file, then you're in a spot. The gaps are hard coded into the file, gapless settings are irrelevant, and you'll only get them out with some editing or fancy remuxing.

Marpow

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 05:02:58 pm »

Yes, I mispoke. However i might have stumbled onto something that will work for me. I just finished ripping the Stones Goats Head Soup Atmos files, they rip as TruHD 7.1. MKV. No issues.
In this rip of Stones unlike The Beatles rip I ripped as individual music videos as you say and as a whole.
So there are 10 individual Atmos video files, which is confirmed by you and others the gapless does not work with these invidual video files.
But I was also able to rip as a whole, one unit, like a movie, the song list, track order shows on the screen so I am able to see exactly where I am at with this one 46:48 file.
I can use the position bar/slider to go to different songs and know exactly where I am it, very easy.
This Stones rip are invidual tracks and in this case gapless is not necessary anyway.
However, I think I will go back to Abbey Road and rip as one unit and I would (might) get it as gapless play back, we will see.

Marpow

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 07:17:32 pm »

Success with Abbey Road, ripped it as one playback unit and played gapless perfectly. Dolby Atmos.

Also the chapter menu changes with each song so I know exactly where I am at on the album.

I ripped 3 as complete units 2 did not need gapless Goats Head Soup and Automatic For The People. The R.E.M  disc did not have moving video or song list either on the individual chapters or as a complete unit.
These two albums do not need gapless, so I will likely delete the full album rip.

Abbey Road benefits from gapless so the full album rip is better than the individual chapters.

For those watching this thread, the only issue with gapless is with the individual music videos, chapters that I am using for Atmos music playback.
With all my music files that play either FLAC/DSD/DSF/WAV, etc wheter stereo or any kind of surround. The gapless setting works perfect.
Good day today. I learned a lot and JRiver does not dissapoint.

wer

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 07:25:24 pm »

However i might have stumbled onto something that will work for me....

Stumbled onto? You mean where I told you...
Yeah, combine them into one file.  Or if you don't know how to remux, then re-rip them into one file.

Then you...
...ripped it as one playback unit and played gapless perfectly...

Glad you're sorted out now. You're welcome.   :)

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2023, 03:26:57 pm »

Here is a wrinkle.

An MP4 ATMOS channel test works just fine but none of the MKV files will play.  They all report that the audio format is not supported but, of course, it is.  These MKVs include those that I have ripped from disks as well as those downloaded from record companies.  What changes should I be looking for.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Pages: [1]   Go Up