INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id Hardware Recommendations  (Read 1474 times)

HerbT

• Recent member
Id Hardware Recommendations
« on: March 03, 2021, 03:24:52 pm »

I haven't bought any HiFi hardware since 1970something - boy have things changed.

After much reading trying to acclimate myself to all the pros and cons of all the software/hardware options available today I've decided to go the JRiver route using their Id hardware.  I'm running a Control Amp by Van Alstine, a Schiit Bifrost 2 Dac and Kef 150's for speakers.  I plan to upgrade the speakers as soon as it's safe to check out speakers in person.  I do not have a wired network just wifi from slow satellite internet.  I will build the network as part of this project. Currently running my DAC off of USB from my laptop.  I would like to replace the laptop with an Id piece.   

Now my question:  What is the best hardware options (keeping costs reasonable and SQ high) using at least one JRiver Id piece?  Do I buy a single Id Nuc and run MC of of that with a USB SSD for file storage or would it be better to buy a Nuc and the Pi base Id using the Pi Id as a renderer.  I could also buy a RPI 4 and use other player software (no complicated installation procedures please). 

I've got thick skin so let the comments fly.  Thanks 

Wheaten

Re: Id Hardware Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 05:06:20 pm »

Some questions:

- Are you going to run multiple clients (separate players)?
- Will the main library running headless (no monitor, keyboard and mouse attached)?
- Have you considered to place all audio files on a NAS?

HerbT

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 06:18:06 pm »

-First step would be to have one player with adding additional player(s) at a later date
-Main library would be run headless except for setup and maintenance.
-Since I'm starting out with only a few audio files my thoughts would be to put them on a USB drive and do a manual back up when new files are added. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 07:07:01 pm »

A USB drive is a better solution than a NAS drive, though either will work.  But the drive needs to be powered.  RPi's can have power problems if too many devices are attached.  A powered hub can help.

HerbT

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 01:41:59 pm »

Jim-

Thanks for USB recommendation over a NAS.  For the small library I have I'll go with the USB storage. 

Are you suggesting using both a PiId with the Id300 to get most flexibility and SQ? Or will using just a NUC work as well?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 02:56:31 pm »

You could start with an IdPi and see how that suits you.

HerbT

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 10:28:18 pm »

Could anyone tell me the difference in using the remote feature (either JRemote via iPad or Remote Desktop) on the IdPi versus the Nuc Id.  Do I lose any functions or is the display downgraded by using the IdPi remotes?  Would it be worth using the Nuc Id and the IdPi together to make the system easier to manage.

HerbT

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 05:54:47 pm »

Bump

If anyone has an opinion, let me know, I'm getting ready to spend my Stimulus $$.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up