INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPi - No Disk Space available  (Read 1476 times)

Tomplifier

• Recent member
IdPi - No Disk Space available
« on: March 14, 2021, 09:21:09 am »

Hi folks,

i have a problem starting my IdPi. I added and replaced some Music on my Pi and deleted a bunch of double entries and mp3 files, replacing them with flac-rips. Now it says "Auf dem Gerät ist kein Speicherplatz mehr verfügbar". (There is no disk space available on this device.)

I searched the SDcard with Linux Mint Live CD and found the Trash-folder in home where not all but some of the deleted files are listed. Becaus I am not owner of the card i could not delete them. The mounted device has 0 bytes free on it (of ~7.1 GB).

Now it freezes at startup and I cannot use it anymore.

It stopped at:

[     96.994328] rc.locl[348]: xterm: xt error: can't open display: %s
[ OK ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

Can anyone help?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: IdPi - No Disk Space available
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 09:41:40 am »

Hi folks,

i have a problem starting my IdPi. I added and replaced some Music on my Pi and deleted a bunch of double entries and mp3 files, replacing them with flac-rips. Now it says "Auf dem Gerät ist kein Speicherplatz mehr verfügbar". (There is no disk space available on this device.)

I searched the SDcard with Linux Mint Live CD and found the Trash-folder in home where not all but some of the deleted files are listed. Becaus I am not owner of the card i could not delete them. The mounted device has 0 bytes free on it (of ~7.1 GB).

Now it freezes at startup and I cannot use it anymore.

It stopped at:

[     96.994328] rc.locl[348]: xterm: xt error: can't open display: %s
[ OK ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

Can anyone help?
How did you put the files on the SDcard?
The OS partition is not for file storage specifically so it doesn't run out of space.
The SDCard has a second partition with the balance of the SDCard storage space on it, it's designed to be loaded from another machine by using it as a network share.

Tomplifier

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 03:10:51 pm »

I did not put any files on the SD-card. How could I, I have no rights to write on it.
Maybe you misunderstood me. The music is located on an usb hard drive. But some deleted data was moved into trash bin on sd-card, where there is now 0 bytes free.
There is another partition for the OS as you guessed, there is space left. Because IdPi shows the "there is no disk space"-message I thought the problem lies in the full partition.

I got the SD-card sent from JRiver and put it into my Raspberry Pi.

I will upload a screen soon.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 03:20:06 pm »

I did not put any files on the SD-card. How could I, I have no rights to write on it.
Maybe you misunderstood me. The music is located on an usb hard drive. But some deleted data was moved into trash bin on sd-card, where there is now 0 bytes free.
There is another partition for the OS as you guessed, there is space left. Because IdPi shows the "there is no disk space"-message I thought the problem lies in the full partition.

I got the SD-card sent from JRiver and put it into my Raspberry Pi.

I will upload a screen soon.
There is a roundabout way to write media files to the SDCard while using it using rename, copy, move but it doesn't sound like that's where the problem is.
It does sounds like the trash can is full. I don't think MC should be moving files from a different storage device into the local trashcan but it sounds like that is what it did.
I'm going to PM you...

Tomplifier

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 06:52:44 am »

Thank you Bob, it worked. The files could be removed and now there's enough space the pi could start again. How can I prevent this in the future?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 09:30:15 am »

Thank you Bob, it worked. The files could be removed and now there's enough space the pi could start again. How can I prevent this in the future?
Good to hear!
In the future don't delete files in MC to the trashcan.
Either just do remove from library or full delete (when you really mean it which should be almost never).
That option to delete to the trash really should be disabled in MC on the IdPi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up