INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote v3.36 most often fails to connect to server  (Read 791 times)

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
Remote v3.36 most often fails to connect to server
« on: April 20, 2021, 01:27:51 pm »

Hi.  I'm having a lot of problems connecting to JRiver on my headless media PC running Windows 10. It fetches updated IP addresses (no new IP addresses found as the media PC has been assigned a fixed IP address) but times out. This occurs within my home wifi network even though I can 'connect to server' from my iMac no problem and also connect to the PC via Teamviewer.  All of these devices including the iPhone with Remote are connected to the same Wifi network (which comprises several Araknis base stations/access points within the house). The gateway managing the series of base stations isn't blocking any ports etc.

The message I get on the JRemote says it's connecting to the relevant IP address Port 52199 but is Timed Out.

I can try time after time with no success and then suddenly it will work.  And then it can lose the connection and I'm stuffed again.  All the while the connection to the PC via TeamViewer remains good. Try, try again and again and all of a sudden it might work.  Or might not.

Ideas?

(PS I have the same issue also when my Remote iPhone is not on the same network)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Remote v3.36 most often fails to connect to server
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 01:30:38 pm »

Sounds like it could  be a wi-fi problem, even just range.  Try simplifying your network, just as a test.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 01:35:41 pm »

For that I have to pay an IT guy to come to the house.  While they will understand the Araknis WiFi network they installed they won't be familiar with JRiver.

I don't have any issues accessing the PC itself over this same wifi network either via an iPad with TeamViewer or Connect to Server via an iMac.  Even across different base stations within the network. That suggests its not the WiFi network itself. The only issue is getting JRemote to connect and hold that connection.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 01:39:59 pm »

I understand TeamViewer uses a different port 5938.

Could it be 52199 isn't properly 'transparent' in some way.  Anything I can check there, either on the PC (I'm not a Windows guy) or on the Araknis Router configuration?

I don't believe I have any Firewall running on the media PC

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 02:56:48 pm »

Are you running a VPN on your iPhone? That would explain issues since when it's enabled your connections go through an external server that can't reach inside of your network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up