INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New: JRemote2 connects but does not play files  (Read 1427 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
New: JRemote2 connects but does not play files
« on: April 22, 2021, 08:21:08 am »

After purchase of a new Samsung tab and new version of JRemote 2 -- The music library shows up; allows me to pick an album; allows me to pick a song, BUT  no music starts playing.  This is happening in main listening areas and secondary area with ID.

In checking my settings on MC -- Is the following  relevant?:   In MC Media Network, I have Authentication User name and password CHECKED... and I believe have my old user MC name and password entered (The password is starred out -- can't see it).  Should I be using USERNAME AND PASSWORD, or EVERYONE?
Then, in the login field – the name and password fields are empty -- I assume these fields exist to change  these settings (?).  Also -- the instructions say to activate the connection, go to the left nav, click on ADD LIBRARY and enter the new Access Code.  I did that, entered the new Access Code, and got a window that says (something like ):  "Cannot add an existing library."

Thank you for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New: JRemote2 connects but does not play files
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 11:40:40 am »

Check where you have it set to play.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 12:34:16 pm »

Also, try playing to a different location, ie Player. That should eliminate any question about the library server connection and authentication logic.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 07:50:22 am »

Jim:  Very much appreciate your responding, but given your brief description  -- "it" --  I am just guessing at what you are recommending.  Please tell me specifically which settings I need under which sections of MC or JRemote2.  I am reluctant to "experiment" or guess at which are correct.  Thank you again.

Bob:  On the tablet, I have tried playing to both Player (which is my main listening area) and to the ID. They both react the same way: When I click on an album, it comes up; when I click on a song, it comes up, But fails to play.  Also, just so you know, in JRemote 2, when I swipe to the two detailed pages behind the main playback page (that among other things, show playback progress and volume level), the two pages come up but on the first page, the album cover art is blank.  On the second of those two pages, when I click on the upper right corner -- then clear playlist -- it does clear the playlist.   Where should I go next?  Thanks again.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 08:58:38 am »

Jim:  Very much appreciate your responding, but given your brief description  -- "it" --  I am just guessing at what you are recommending.  Please tell me specifically which settings I need under which sections of MC or JRemote2.  I am reluctant to "experiment" or guess at which are correct.  Thank you again.

Bob:  On the tablet, I have tried playing to both Player (which is my main listening area) and to the ID. They both react the same way: When I click on an album, it comes up; when I click on a song, it comes up, But fails to play.  Also, just so you know, in JRemote 2, when I swipe to the two detailed pages behind the main playback page (that among other things, show playback progress and volume level), the two pages come up but on the first page, the album cover art is blank.  On the second of those two pages, when I click on the upper right corner -- then clear playlist -- it does clear the playlist.   Where should I go next?  Thanks again.
Ok, that's good information.
Is your material stored locally on the MC server or on a network share or other device like a DLNA server?
I assume it all plays locally on the server fine?
What format is most of your material?

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 10:32:58 am »

Bob-

My music files are stored on a WD NAS drive.  MC is stored on a PC.  Both wired to my router. In the main listening area a file is sent to the DAC inside an OPPO 105 -- then onto a preamp.  I just tried to access these files locally (directly from the PC screen) (no tablet) and a similar thing happens as with the tablet interface: the album comes up; the track comes up; but fails to play when prompted.  Thanks again for your help.

w.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 01:59:24 pm »

Bob-

My music files are stored on a WD NAS drive.  MC is stored on a PC.  Both wired to my router. In the main listening area a file is sent to the DAC inside an OPPO 105 -- then onto a preamp.  I just tried to access these files locally (directly from the PC screen) (no tablet) and a similar thing happens as with the tablet interface: the album comes up; the track comes up; but fails to play when prompted.  Thanks again for your help.

w.
Ok, how are you connecting the NAS drive from the PC?
As a windows shared drive or via "Playing From" in MC's tree?

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 02:47:14 pm »

I'm not sure I can answer your question.  But the NAS  and the PVC are wire-connected directly to the router and the Music files are in I believe what's called a SHARE on the NAS labeled "Music."

Now, very strange:  On my MC PC I went into Windows File Explorer and found that that NAS share WAS listed but with a red "X" over it.  When I clicked on it, I got this message:
"An error has occurred when connecting to Y:  \\192.168.0.0\Music

Microsoft Windows network: the Network Name cannot be found.

This connection has not been restored."     

I re-booted the NAS drive and the PC and got the same result... BUT,
Using another PC in my office, that share was listed properly (No "X") and when I clicked on it , it came up properly with all the music files.   ??

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 03:57:20 pm »

Bob

Just got off the phone with Western Digital.  For some reason, the share that contains music miles got re-mapped (or un-mapped).  Just tried playing music directly from the server -- ALL OK!

Am trouble shooting and testing with JRemote2 in both play locations and will let you know.

UGH.  THX again.

w

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 08:36:18 am »

Bob --

Music files play normally in both listening areas with new tablet.  So it appears that the problem was rooted in the failure of the mapping system.  Your intervention steered me toward finding and solving the problem.

Thanks much.

w.
Pages: [1]   Go Up