INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 26: television subtitles -- can't record  (Read 2046 times)

gossett

• Recent member
Media Center 26: television subtitles -- can't record
« on: April 28, 2021, 07:53:12 am »

I can display CC captions when I watch a television show via Media Center 26 (Windows 10), but when I record, the subtitles are not captured. How do I record subtitles on a tv show?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Media Center 26: television subtitles -- can't record
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 10:41:48 am »

Subtitles are captured, especially if it is ATSC Closed Captioning.  ATSC CC data are embedded in the video data and are therefore always captured.

What playback method do you use when playing a recording?  Is it DirectShow?  Displaying of ATSC CC is supported in DirectShow only.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

gossett

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 12:20:37 pm »

Ok, I see the subtitles when I play it back in JRiver Media Center. But I need to convert the ts file to mp4 so I can view on my large television set. The converter does not see any subtitle data in the ts file.

gossett

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 12:30:10 pm »

I see that Media Center has an option to convert the ts file to mp4. But it does not preserve the CC subtitles. They are gone after the conversion.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 03:08:21 pm »

Conversion does not preserve CC, unfortunately.

One possible solution is for you to set up a computer that outputs to your TV set.  That way you can play from Media Center using that computer and have the video on the TV.

gossett

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 06:56:20 pm »

I only record tv shows that I don't want to watch live. There is no need to stream to the tv -- it can show the programs directly.

Is there any chance you will add subtitle capabilities to mp4 conversions in the near future?

Is there any chance you could add an option to output a subtitle file (perhaps .srt) from a recorded show? My other conversion software can grab external subtitles.

gossett

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 06:57:46 pm »

I re-read your email. I could set up to stream from Media Center, but that is not an optimal solution for me. Thanks for spending time on this.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 07:06:17 pm »

Including subtitles in a conversion is something I think would be a good thing for us to try.  I am however not sure how much is involved in this and I don't think it will be done in the near future.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 03:54:41 pm »

What would be great for the conversion is allow us to use our own command line conversion command (for advanced users only).  For instance, I started using HandBrakeCLI to do my automated conversions because it was super easy to include all the closed captions.  So if we could use the JRiver engine to select a file for conversion, but actually specify the command to use, (including whether it was FFMPWG, NVENC64, HandBrakeCLI, etc), it would give advanced users way more flexibility.
Pages: [1]   Go Up