INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback stops, pauses then continues  (Read 2822 times)

hillcreative

• World Citizen
Playback stops, pauses then continues
« on: April 29, 2021, 09:14:42 pm »

Have been experiencing paused playback issues. Happens close to the song end, music pauses for a few seconds then picks up again just before gapless playback of the next song. Not every time just randomly. I have been steadily increasing the playback buffer under device settings. Audio Device - Device Settings - Buffer  (now set to 650000) Playback SRS up-samples 44.1 to 88.2 into RME AD1 DAC. Latest MC27.X

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playback stops, pauses then continues
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 10:30:06 pm »

Hello:
playback stops and continue plagued
me over a year.
Not only in music, but in movies.
It has stopped now.
I can not remember what I did to fix it.
BUT try this:
if you are using a wifi, make sure you update the driver, be sure your speed is about 1300 mbps
You did not  state where you are playing from.
I use Nvidia tv pro and non pro.
reboot your tv and also restart  your device if you are using an android tv box.

George.

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 11:40:45 pm »

Hello:
playback stops and continue plagued
me over a year.
Not only in music, but in movies.
It has stopped now.
I can not remember what I did to fix it.
BUT try this:
if you are using a wifi, make sure you update the driver, be sure your speed is about 1300 mbps
You did not  state where you are playing from.
I use Nvidia tv pro and non pro.
reboot your tv and also restart  your device if you are using an android tv box.

George.
George. Music only and no WIFI but thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 07:13:47 am »

I had a problem like that a few years ago that turned out to be insufficient power.  It was on a Raspberry Pi 3 and it began when I plugged a USB drive directly into the Pi.  The Pi doesn't have enough power to do that without buying a better power supply or using a powered USB hub.

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 07:52:55 am »

I had a problem like that a few years ago that turned out to be insufficient power.  It was on a Raspberry Pi 3 and it began when I plugged a USB drive directly into the Pi.  The Pi doesn't have enough power to do that without buying a better power supply or using a powered USB hub.
The DAC is self-powered. When I switched back to 44.1 the problem disappeared. I prefer the 88.2 oversampled output.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 08:43:34 am »

This happens to me when transitioning from one khz to a different one in a playlist.  For instance the track playing is an 88khz track and the next one is 44.1 or 48khz track.  MC gets stuck for a few seconds trying to figure out the transitional change.  Happens with 5 seconds or so to go in the song.  Now this is a Windows setup, not Linux, but may be the same.

Have tried numerous changes to no avail.  MC just can't handle it smoothly.  See if it's the same situation with you.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 02:35:16 pm »

The DAC is self-powered. When I switched back to 44.1 the problem disappeared. I prefer the 88.2 oversampled output.

Sounds like bandwidth or horsepower, you didn't say what your playback machine and media file setup is. Up-sampling does nothing for sound quality, and can cause playback issues.

I occasionally get something similar on my RPi4, usually when listening to RP flac around 10 seconds prior to next track loading, but live with it. I have 200 meg internet and all wired gigabit network.

I let my DAC (Focusrite 6i6) natively decode, so no bit conversion.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 08:01:16 am »

Sounds like bandwidth or horsepower, you didn't say what your playback machine and media file setup is. Up-sampling does nothing for sound quality, and can cause playback issues.

I occasionally get something similar on my RPi4, usually when listening to RP flac around 10 seconds prior to next track loading, but live with it. I have 200 meg internet and all wired gigabit network.

I let my DAC (Focusrite 6i6) natively decode, so no bit conversion.
All WAV 44.1Khz 16bit ripped from CD. Computer: Foxconn NanoPC i7. DAC: RME AD2 Black Edition. PLayback set for 44.1with no conversions. When it was set for 88.2 I had the pause problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 08:06:31 am »

What is the connection between computer and DAC?

Where are the files stored?  Local drive?

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 11:27:33 pm »

What is the connection between computer and DAC?

Where are the files stored?  Local drive?
DAC is USB and files are on network drive.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 06:16:42 am »

DAC is USB and files are on network drive.
Try playing some local files.  That might tell you if the network or the NAS are causing trouble.

vdidenko

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2021, 02:19:54 pm »

Try playing some local files.  That might tell you if the network or the NAS are causing trouble.
Happens to me all the time (well, about once in couple days). FLACs or MP3s on local HDDs (btrfs "raid1"). MC27 (did not happen on MC26 - or I do not remember it, well possible), on Pop!_OS 20.04. 20.10 (derivatives of corresponding Ubuntu versions).

USB-fed to Schiit Asgard's True MultibitTM DAC. The system is AMD TR 3960 (48 threads) w/64G RAM. Most of the day it is light-loaded, but runs through a "least-played" smartlist on a shuffle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up