INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: re: iOS Support - iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch  (Read 4101 times)

AllanM

• Junior Woodchuck
re: iOS Support - iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
« on: May 02, 2021, 10:25:19 am »

In the thread "iOS Support - iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch" <https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,97847.0.html>, glynor states "Apple no longer allows third-party applications to officially support any of their current devices"

This is untrue. All an app needs to do is support their own sync within the app's private storage area. Plex does this, and does it well. While I'm starting to appreciate the advanced features of JRiver MC for music playback, I still need to use Plex to get my ripped music (in FLAC format, or transcoded) onto my iOS devices (no need for iTunes). I'm thinking about writing a sync script to sync ratings between JRiver and Plex, and that will allow my smart playlists to stay in sync from JRiver to iOS, but I would rather just have a sync in the JRiver iOS app.

I read a number of threads where where admins state Apple doesn't allow syncing. That is only true with iTunes. Apple completely allows syncing within an app, and that's all most anyone here would want.

JRiver, please consider implementing local storage and sync (with transcoding) on iOS. That would really make MC something I would recommend to friends.

Thanks.

Heck, even if you address the concept of local storage and sync it would be good customer service. I've never seen this addressed by a JRiver employee or admin.
--
Mostly a headphone guy. I use JRiver exclusively for music.

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Re: re: iOS Support - iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 02:09:10 am »

+ 1  We need JRemote to have it's own internal music store that we can download to.  This has been requested for years and is for some reason ignored.  I am tired of loving my JRiver product and paying or updates every year for excellent service and upgrades and having this one issue continually ignored.  Please fix it!  I want to stop trying to find new and laborious way to download music to my iPhone for offline playback!

Carl.

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 02:56:33 pm »

Everyone seems to think that streaming is the way of the future, but there is still a lot of demand for direct syncing, especially for cars. Streaming has many disadvantages: It devours data plans. It's only available where there is cellular data service. Also, JRiver JRemote doesn't do it particularly well, with no support for Carplay or Android Auto, and no auto-recovery when connections break. Users must stop driving, acknowledge the error message, and then manually re-initialize the connection to start music playing again.

Please put some work into syncing and playing directly from iOS devices. Lots of apps do it. Media Center can do it too.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 03:05:38 pm »

JRiver for Android plays media from your phone.

MC can sync media to your phone (Handhelds).

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 03:08:49 pm »

MC can sync media to your phone

Specifically, we are talking about iOS devices. This cannot currently be done with Media Center nor JRemote for iOS.

drakos

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 04:30:44 am »

Just swithced into iOS and do not know much info about this system. I want to use macbook during creating socilal media platform in the future.So recently read info about how to develop a social network app for beginner. Really interesting and useful info for users.

jctcom

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 03:36:47 am »

Waiting for this functionality.

Carl.

Outlaw Audio

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Dogs......because people suck
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 01:31:09 pm »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124658.msg909676.html#msg909676

You're oversimplifying the task.  To play nice with Apple, you don't need to support sync within the apps private storage area, you need to support sync into the Apple storage area period.  Otherwise, none of the official IOS apps will ever see that media.  This is what MO 4Media does.  It works, but kinda cripples the Apple device.  I'm betting it won't work with Carplay either (needs verification).  If you want to work with Apple, you need to apply for a developer's license and of course this implies a percentage of your profits will feed Mother Apple.

How far into bed you want to get with Apple is up to you and your finances.   

jctcom

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 02:25:24 pm »

Actually I don't know of any 3rd party app that has access to Apple's / IOS music files location.  All of the other apps do it by downloading to their own storage area.  Yes I would prefer to have my music available to other apps on the phone but the only way to do that is to use iTunes to download the music which I am not interested in.

Have installed MO 4Media and it seems to do the job quite well.  It is pretty new and needs some adjustments but overall it is a great start.  One think I would like to see change in it is when downloading individual tracks to play locally that they also put them under Artist\Album instead of lumping them all under one "Other downloads" like they do currently.

Carl

Outlaw Audio

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Dogs......because people suck
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 10:17:02 am »

There are quite a few, I mentioned one in the link attached to the previous post
Pages: [1]   Go Up