INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC for Mac performance with super large database?  (Read 1660 times)

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
MC for Mac performance with super large database?
« on: May 02, 2021, 04:33:37 pm »

Hi team,
I have a stupid big library...600k tracks. On my Windows machine (intel i7 CPU @ 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, decent machine) MC is sluggish at best with my whole library imported.

On my MacBook Air, it is completely unusable.

I'm curious about replacing my main Windows computer with more powerful Mac computer, but wondering if anyone has experience working with a large library like this on a decent Mac and can share any feedback as to whether it is responsive/fast or if it gets bogged down to the point of not being usable the way it does on my MacBook Air?

Any thoughts/experience?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC for Mac performance with super large database?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 04:48:22 pm »

It will gain speed when it's done with analyzing files, getting cover art, etc.  You can turn these off.

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 01:03:47 am »

@JimH thank you for responding!

I have all the cover art and analysis options turned off in auto import. Everything except for "update for external changes" is unchecked. Still super slow. I've been using MC for 10 years and ever since my library got over around 400k tracks it started running super slow...I always figured it was just the penalty for being too much of a hoarder. Actually with JRemote it is super fast and responsive. But, the desktop app gets bogged down frequently on the Windows machine and, as mentioned, is not useable on the Macbook (which has the specs of an iPhone so I am not surprised...)

Have you all been able to test with a large library? Any idea if MC works more responsively for other users with large libraries? Would be a game changer for me if it worked faster...

LilyAarseth

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 02:45:34 am »

The UI in MC seems to be somewhat unoptimised/very hard on the CPU from experience, this seems to be far more noticeable on Mac. I'm on an M1 mac mini and MC is running very poorly compared to other apps that I daily drive. It feels like I am running MC through a remote desktop connection with visible delay when scrolling or navigating the UI. Audio and the core functions works like normal though. If you were to get a Mac for MC I'd suggest getting a powerful intel-based machine or wait and see how the next generation of apple silicon is handling MC. That or possibly see if there will be some optimisations made to the app itself. (For reference I am just shy of 100k songs)

Edit: When comparing Windows Vs. Mac, my Windows machine is 5 years old with a 6-core intel, and have far lower IPC/Performance than the new M1 Mac.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 02:37:47 pm »

It will gain speed when it's done with analyzing files, getting cover art, etc.  You can turn these off.
As well as any auto-import folders. These will slow things down a LOT with a library that large.

Lovebuzz

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 01:38:07 pm »

Currently I use a database with 485k tracks without any problems. I am running this @ MacOS Sierra (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)
Auto-import off
Pages: [1]   Go Up