INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing to DLNA renderers worked on MC 24 but not on 25, 26, 27 [Solved]  (Read 866 times)

iphigenie

• Recent member

I upgraded, but can't use the upgrade, and now that the next version is coming and the problem is still happening, I really hope to figure out what the issue is.

I have these network speakers by GGMM and I used to have no problem playing to them.

When 25 came, it just wouldn't play to these anymore - it'd see the device and start playing but just drop it around 10 seconds in with an error, or appear to stream but play. So I kept 24 on my media server machine.

My upgrade to 26 (and I just tried 27 demo, same) also just fail to play. 26 drops it after a few second with no error message. 27 appears to continue to play but nothing actually plays.

Whitebear analyzer can see these speakers and analyze them fine and make recommendations - setting those up makes no difference.

Other DLNA servers/controllers (eg on my phone or my denon) can play to these speakers but of course I have my library in jriver where all the tools are

So what changed? Where do I look to understand and bypass the problem?

update:

On jriver 24, don't need to do anything, it plays

From jriver 25 on issues. Reinstalling 24 on a machine that has 25 or 26 it doesn't work either

things I have done

1. set a second DLNA server "legacy" with recommended settings, link the players to that
this includes capped bitrate on audio

2. set both Ignore Transport and Disable SetNext

looked for network issues too, but I can play from a DLNA thing on my phone no problem. or from the amps media server etc.

makes no difference

one thing that works is that 25, 26, 27 will show the 1 song currently playing on the device, when sent from another app. But try to send it a song and it just is silent or dropped

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playing to DLNA renderers worked on MC 24, 25 but not on 26, 27
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 01:58:15 pm »

Are they connected via wi-fi?  If so, try moving them.

Try toggling SetNextAVTransport.

iphigenie

• Recent member
Re: Playing to DLNA renderers worked on MC 24, 25 but not on 26, 27
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 02:46:03 pm »

Hi Jim

OK I will try looking at the wifi again. But why would other apps OR JRiver 24 be ok?
also updated first post with a bit more info

this has gone for a while, I just don't know what to do about it. I'd like the new features of MC but I end up playing from android apps instead of playing my own music via JR and it bugs me

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Playing to DLNA renderers worked on MC 24 but not on 25, 26, 27
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 11:26:33 pm »

Works perfectly fine on my set up. I send audio around my home network to several different DLNA renders. Suggest you look at your network if you have more than one SSID wireless setup. Also search the settings for DLNA. You may have change done of those general or Media Network Advance settings that you never typically touch after that first change. Particularly the ones that enable/disable the entire DLNA function, such as "DLNA Server" "DLNA Renderer"

Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

iphigenie

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 04:53:42 pm »

It works perfectly well when I have MC24 installed

As soon as I install MC25 or older, it doesnt. Even reinstalling MC24, it didnt work, until I removed all and had a MC clean machine with only 24

I just tested uninstalling MC25, 26, deleting even library folder, rebooting, install MC24, reboot - and tada, out of the box no special configuration it works

I just hope that knowing what change/upgrade happened can help me figure out a solution or workaround.

I have been buying an upgrade every version or two since v11 in 2006 but the MC26 upgrade was wasted :( and now the email for the MC28 upgrade nagged me to at least try to post about it.

Where do I start looking?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 04:56:10 pm »

Your settings are different or your antivirus is causing problems or your network isn't configured correctly.  DLNA works in all those versions.

Check the Windows Defender thread on the MC27 board.

iphigenie

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 06:29:10 pm »

Your settings are different or your antivirus is causing problems or your network isn't configured correctly.  DLNA works in all those versions.

Check the Windows Defender thread on the MC27 board.

I really wish that was the case but I don't see any sign of it. I've gone through the "weird" thread and the antivirus thread every year or so when the upgrade offer comes and it bugs me.

Defender is not on, it's Bitdefender but there is no sign of any interference. And I'm well familiar with its interference, it has done it in the past - but then the interference would show in the bitdefender log. There is nothing in the log except that these programs are allowed out

So on this machine I am on now:

minutes ago I had only MC24 and it played fine to the speaker - "send to" and it plays.
I can see the playlist on the zone, I can see the volume level, playing progress, and it all fits.

I close MC24

I install MC27. I run it, set up media server and see the notification in bitdefender it is allowed automatically.
MC27 shows me the speakers as zones fine.
I try "send to" in MC27, and MC thinks it's playing but nothing is coming on the speaker.

Close MC27, open the MC24 that worked perfectly fine 30 minutes ago, but now "send to" isn't working anymore in MC24 either.

Nothing has changed in my network, computer, or firewall/virus scanner. All that has changed is adding MC27.

If I can understand what is different, I can figure out if the issue is network (eg: it uses newer dll, newer protocols, more bandwidth) or some security somewhere or the devices arent compatible - but then whitebeard managed to analyse fine.

Wish I could find some logs for MC server, are there some somewhere?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 06:48:18 pm »

I really wish that was the case but I don't see any sign of it. I've gone through the "weird" thread and the antivirus thread every year or so when the upgrade offer comes and it bugs me.

Defender is not on, it's Bitdefender but there is no sign of any interference. And I'm well familiar with its interference, it has done it in the past - but then the interference would show in the bitdefender log. There is nothing in the log except that these programs are allowed out
Uninstall Bitdefender, just to test.

Run AndrewFG's DMRA and report what you find.

iphigenie

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 07:41:16 pm »

DMR Analyser produces a result (and sound on the speaker) even with bitdefender

(attached)

I'll try with BitDefender disabled or uninstalled tomorrow as it's nearly 2am here

iphigenie

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 03:08:21 pm »

I'd tried with no virus security before but hey, after 2 years of it not working except I can try again

Here's what I did

- restart every device on network
- check configuration on speakers
- remove everything bitdefender,
- remove every media player, version of jriver etc.
- remove every trace of old JR versions on disk and in registry
- disable windows defender

(several reboots involved)

- install JR27
- try playing to speakers. works.
- enable defender firewall
- speakers stutter when firewall enabled but after restart things play
- enable defender virus scanning
- streaming to speakers ok
- reinstall bitdefender
- streaming to speakers ok

I'm going to reboot a few times before I declare victory but I still have no idea what the issue was. We're now back were we started except for having 1 single version of JR clean install, and it works

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 07:10:36 pm »

Your security software probably finally took notice.

Sometimes it can be in a non-verbal mode so you don't know what it's thinking.

Sometimes it tells you something and you click, not really knowing what it said.

Sometimes it makes mistakes.  Horrible mistakes.

Good news it's working now.  Thanks for trying again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up