INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you run JRiver on Lumin, Auralic, Innuos Music servers?  (Read 2152 times)

robeffy

• Recent member

Hi,

I am considering buying something, to replace my PC as a music server.

Have been reading about Lumin, Innuos, Auralic, Aurender, etc etc etc music servers, and they seem to have their own software.

Just wonder if there are companies out there that let you run JRiver?

I am open to other brands, and would consider other options.

Regards,
Rob

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

robeffy

• Recent member
Re: Can you run JRiver on Lumin, Auralic, Innuos Music servers?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 07:25:21 pm »

Well,

Regarding the Id, which I believe is basically a NUC. I welcome your correction if I am wrong about that? I have read a number of reviews about NUC's, and none of them seem to be a whole lot better in sound quality ( SQ ) over a PC.

I am interested in improving my SQ, the PC is working fine.

Secondly, I really like the stability / ease of use / lack of learning curve on a PC, as opposed to teaching myself how to use a NUC, which has no screen, no keyboard, has to be accessed via Wifi. Did I mention Wifi is a bad word in our house?  If there is a device in our house on Wifi, it causes more trouble than those accessed via ethernet ( cable ).

I realize I am going to pay more for a store bought device, such as Lumin, Innuos, etc, however, they are mostly plug and play.

Everyone is talking Roon, and, I am not really interested in paying $9.99 US a month to use a device, that I paid a few thousand for.

Maybe I have the I wrong?  Possibly its what I want?

I used to run a Novell network, and sold pc's on the side, back in their infancy, 8088, 80286, 80386 days. Dos, DRDos? Who knows DRDos, which was better than DOS before it was absorbed....   Even had experience with Victor 9000 "pc".

Not afraid of new tech, but I want to use my music library, and not spend weeks trying to get it to work.

robeffy

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 03:12:44 pm »

Would a JRiver Id work?

https://jriver.com/Id/https://jriver.com/Id/

Maybe I should have really asked how difficult is an Id to use?  There must be threads on that.

Also, threads on a Id vs some of the products I mentioned.  I will do some research.! 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 03:37:11 pm »

You need to get it connected to your LAN and your audio device.

Then you may need to copy media to it.  Not necessary if you're just using it as a renderer.

Both Linux and MC are updated automatically.  You don't need to know anything about Linux.

It's a very reliable device.

There's a board here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,42.0.html

robeffy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 09:57:06 pm »

Thank you, I will follow up on this,

In the end, it comes to my sound quality.

I seem to be a junky for sound quality, and have spent enough time and money to get where the system is now. :)

I really like JRiver, and I am resistant to getting into Roon. I am not a fan of streaming, and there are so many free streaming services out there....

Thanks again

robeffy

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 07:40:27 pm »

Well, after doing some digging, it turns out Baetis Audio sells a variety of products that come preloaded with JRiver!  They are highly recommended on numerous stereo gear sites as well.

Likely the Small Green Computer company also runs JRiver.

I know there are other companies out there. I spoke to 2 of them, and a) they are basically 1 man shops b) neither of them returned my emailed / telephone calls with a quote!  Doesn't say much for technical support..
Pages: [1]   Go Up