INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing Skins  (Read 428 times)

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Mixing Skins
« on: May 12, 2021, 03:21:56 am »

I know that skins were all the rage more than a decade ago, not only on MC but other software also, but I have been looking for a bit a change.

Is there there a way to change selected elements of the skin. For example I use Modern Cards:Dark, but I wouldn't mind a few of the background elements from LP. I don't like the full LP skin due to the coloured icons and purple 3d items. I know I can get down and dirty with the various elements in HTML and I have actually tried to replacing certain files after reading the Wiki on "JRiver Skins". However I am not really skilled enough to fiddle with HTML.

Is this the only way in the UI to combine bits or can I substitute only certain screen elements on top of a base line eg. Maodern cards Dark, with 3 or 4 elements changed not the ull list, without going into the folder to manipulate files? Has anyone tried this? Not clear how to create a new one where I can combine - is it as simple as adding a new folder in the skins tree?
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mixing Skins
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 04:50:33 am »

I know that skins were all the rage more than a decade ago, not only on MC but other software also, but I have been looking for a bit a change.

Is there there a way to change selected elements of the skin. For example I use Modern Cards:Dark, but I wouldn't mind a few of the background elements from LP. I don't like the full LP skin due to the coloured icons and purple 3d items. I know I can get down and dirty with the various elements in HTML and I have actually tried to replacing certain files after reading the Wiki on "JRiver Skins". However I am not really skilled enough to fiddle with HTML.

Is this the only way in the UI to combine bits or can I substitute only certain screen elements on top of a base line eg. Maodern cards Dark, with 3 or 4 elements changed not the ull list, without going into the folder to manipulate files? Has anyone tried this? Not clear how to create a new one where I can combine - is it as simple as adding a new folder in the skins tree?

David - Skins use XML not HTML and the only way of changing the look of any of the elements, like the background, is to alter the "image file" that particular skin is using. Either by overwriting the existing image with an image from a different skin, or by altering the existing image in your fave image editor.
In both instances if the image file name is changed you will need to also make the relevant change in the main.xml file.
Before changing any individual image check the "main.xml" to make sure it is only used in one place!

I wouldn't blame you if you decide to give up trying to change anything because skin creation/changing is not very well documented!
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up