INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Access Key confusion when restoring an MC backup to another PC  (Read 479 times)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

For some years, I have been running a client server configuration of MC. The server has been on my Windows 10 HTPC (an Intel NUC), while the client is on my primary Windows 10 workstation. I can't now remember why I did it that way around, but it has not proved to be the most convenient arrangement.

My primary workstation is much easier for me to use for MC admin tasks, so I access the HTPC remotely using VNC. That works well enough but gives me a lower resolution image, so I don't see as much detail as I see on the local instance of MC. Viewing videos remotely is also less than satisfactory, due to slow and jerky playback.

It recently occurred to me that reversing this client server configuration might be a better arrangement, so I restored a recent library backup from the HTPC to MC on my primary workstation and then renamed the library. That went well, so I then tried to use the Add Library process on the HTPC to add a link to my new Library Server but it didn't accept the Access Key. I then found that the restoration process on the workstation had overwritten the previous Access Key with the key used on my HTPC.

Both my MC installations now have the same Access Key. If I try using that key I am warned that "You can't add your own library. Please enter the key of a different library". How do I get out of this mess?

Note that I'm using MC 27 on my workstation and MC 26 on my HTPC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Access Key confusion when restoring an MC backup to another PC
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 12:40:52 pm »

Turn Media Network off and back on to generate a new Access Key.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 01:02:02 pm »

Turn Media Network off and back on to generate a new Access Key.

On my primary workstation, I closed Media Server and also turned off 'Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA' in Tools/Options. I then closed and reopened MC, followed by turning 'Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA' back on. It was immediately obvious that the Access key had NOT changed!

Am I not doing things in exactly the required sequence to change the key?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 01:11:48 pm »

Please try:
Options > Media Network > Access Key > Reset...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 02:07:37 pm »

Please try:
Options > Media Network > Access Key > Reset...

Thanks, Matt. That did the job  :)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 04:09:52 pm »

As expected, resetting the Access Key on my primary workstation removed the problem that was preventing me from adding a link to this library server on my HTPC. All is now well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up