INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes: Keeping library, playlists, ratings, and/or play counts synced  (Read 576 times)

IronWaffle

Hello,

I've perused the version 27 and 28 forums and I'm unsure the answer. I'm pretty certain that some of what I'd like is likely restricted by Apple, not JRiver, "because Apple."  I'm not remotely upset if none of these are possible; I'm just trying to make an informed decision.  I also understand that I may still be unsure after this post, but I'll give it a shot...

I'm still on version 23 and it meets most of my needs.  The areas that would immediately compel me to update are those in the subject line.  I'm not naive enough to think *all* of those things are possible, but I'm curious which ones are (either completely or to what degree). I'm particularly interested in play history-related syncing (ratings, counts, etc.).

What I (believe I) know:
-JRiver can import playlists via iTunes' XML file.  I believe it cannot be synced. 
-I understand that auto-import (which I use regularly) can index any new files or changes to tags, but that would exclude play history, playlists, ratings, etc.
-I can update playlists by deleting them from JRiver then re-syncing.

My assumptions:
- iTunes' smart play lists cannot be imported.  I know that JRiver's are more powerful, but for me they are impractical when "on the go."
- Ratings and anything play history-related cannot be synced (and likely not imported).

Thanks in advance for any help.  I'd love to take the complete leap away from Apple but they sure make it difficult (for some of us).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

You CAN sync between MC, including all of the stuff you mentioned, and iTunes using Prod's MC iTunes Synchronizer doodad:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0

However, MCiS is broken (and currently undeveloped anymore) with any version of iTunes newer than ~12.5.5. However, it works fine with that version, and that version of iTunes works fine with iCloud Music Library. So, if you're looking to just sync between iCloud Music Library and MC, you can do it with that.

Takes a bit of elbow grease to set up, but I've been doing it for years now.

If you decide to do it, I can share my script with you that handles the sync. Because getting iTunes to behave and not create duplicate playlists and stuff can be a pain. It isn't the most beautiful script in the world, and you'd have to modify it to work for you probably, but it works well for me and is totally automated.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up