INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to set the "menu language" in JRiver (DVD playback)?  (Read 451 times)

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
How to set the "menu language" in JRiver (DVD playback)?
« on: May 19, 2021, 01:42:50 pm »

I have four DVDs with the notorious menu language annoyance. When these detect that the player's menu language is not the expected language (i.e. the language of the country this DVD was sold in) it refuses to show the menu. Instead, it shows a black screen with the text "please change your player's menu to your native language".

In the past (PowerDVD), I would change the respective language options to German (in my case, as the DVDs were sold in Germany), and it would work. However, I seem to fail when trying this with JRiver. I have set Tools-->Language to German, changed everything language related under Tools-->Options to German, but it won't budge...

What am I missing? Does anybody here also have one of these "nice" DVDs and knows how to get around this with JRiver?

PS: My discs are from the Futurama Season 6 (sold as Season 5 & 6, with 2 discs each)

PPS: Thanks for nothing, 20th Century Fox!
END OF LINE.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to set the "menu language" in JRiver (DVD playback)?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 03:53:22 pm »

Maybe set language it in Windows?

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
Re: How to set the "menu language" in JRiver (DVD playback)?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 12:26:48 am »

Thanks Jim!

Yes, changing the display language from English (United States) to German (Germany)/Deutsch (Deutschland) works. However, then Windows is of course completely German, which is not exactly what I would've liked.

I didn't test it yesterday, as I'm behind a WSUS, so language packs aren't (easily) available. However, I managed to get two to test, English (Germany) and German (Germany). The one that changes the location to Germany, but keeps everything in English is not enough.

Interestingly, JRiver can be kept completely in English. It feels like it is passing this setting through or something. It would be cool if it had like an override/ignore setting, so I don't have to switch Windows to a different language (which also requires me to sign off and on again).

Something like Tools-->Options-->Video: "Disc Menu Language:" Options: "Windows default" and "select language from list"

Could something like this be relatively easy to implement?
END OF LINE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up