INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Tag Window wish list  (Read 630 times)

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Tag Window wish list
« on: June 06, 2021, 03:12:29 pm »

(1) Implement this old request from MC 27:

When using the Tag Dump Group in the Tag Window, use the available space to avoid having to scroll up and down to see tags in the Tag Dump.

I always put the Tag Dump at the bottom of the Tag Window, and there is a lot of wasted space below it that could be used. See image.

(2) Add another tabbed view to the left tag window which is customizable through Options. I want to checkbox-select the tags of interest to me, and then re-order them as desired in my own single "Selected Tags" view.

This is the biggest reason why I use another third party tag editor to initialize tags after ripping CDs,  instead of JRiver.
I prefer a collapsible tag view that shows only the 15-20 tags which I am most likely to fill out for every CD (includes adding multiple images).
Don't get me wrong:  I really like how the MC tag pane is divided up, but I also wish for my own compact list of selected tags.

(3) Add a wiki page to document the Expression Language function FieldQuery().  Include examples of how it can be used in the tag window to copy values between different libraries, and as a Tag on Import rule.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature Request: Tag Window wish list
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 03:32:28 pm »

You can customize the tag window now.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 05:05:37 pm »

You can customize the tag window now.

Whoaa, very nice thank you.  I never realized the significance of that little square in the upper left corner of the tag pane :)

Re Item (3) in OP:  I modified it to the modest request for FieldQuery() documentation and examples, rather than introduce a whole new interactive window to implement copying tags between fields and fields in different libraries.  Such a window would be nice, but is likely too big a chunk of work for an important but probably low-usage tool.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 06:02:03 pm »

You can copy and paste between tags.  Ctrl-Shift-V to paste.  Does that help?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 11:08:49 pm »

FieldQuery is documented

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Accessing_and_Storing_Functions#FieldQuery

Include examples of how it can be used in the tag window to copy values between different libraries, and as a Tag on Import rule.
I do not think this function will be useful to you in either of those scenarios though. Depending upon what/how many fields you're searching in, global use of FieldQuery has the potential to bring MC to its knees.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 11:49:44 pm »

You can copy and paste between tags.  Ctrl-Shift-V to paste.  Does that help?

I find that Copy/Paste works great for doing a few fields "manually".  But I'm not sure it is practical on a larger scale. For example, if you want to copy a particular Audio Tag to a corresponding Image Tag for every track in your audio library.  That is where FieldQuery() really shines.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 12:16:20 am »

FieldQuery is documented

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Accessing_and_Storing_Functions#FieldQuery
I do not think this function will be useful to you in either of those scenarios though. Depending upon what/how many fields you're searching in, global use of FieldQuery has the potential to bring MC to its knees.

Thanks for the documentation link - I did not find it a few days ago :)

Zybex pointed me to FieldQuery():

The FieldQuery() function can be used for that (undocumented, but explained here). It finds files that share some tag value and then returns the value of another tag of that file. In your case, we can use it to get the [TAGGINGTIME] of an Audio file sharing the same [Filename (path)].

I just tested it and hit an issue - the function doesn't allow to limit the search to only Audio files, so it may find the Image file itself, which will have an empty TAGGINGTIME. However, there's a workaround.

You can try the direct function first - it will probably work for most of your files, but perhaps not all:
- Use this expression on the [TAGGINGTIME] field of the Images you need to tag:
    =listitem(fieldquery(Filename /(path/), [Filename (path)], TAGGINGTIME, 1, 0), 0)

If that doesn't work you need to do this:
- create a new Field called "Type:Folder", Calculated, with expression="[Media Type]:[Filename (path)]"
- use this expression for the [TAGGINGTIME] of the images:
    =listitem(fieldquery(Type:Folder, Audio:[Filename (path)], TAGGINGTIME, 1, 0), 0)

if you get a number instead of a Date, you'll need to add a FormatDate:
    =FormatDate(listitem(fieldquery(Type:Folder, Audio:[Filename (path)], TAGGINGTIME, 1, 0), 0), date)

I think it would really improve the FieldQuery() documentation to include Zybex's two excellent examples shown above, which totally solved my puzzler, as described here
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129618.msg899369.html#msg899369

I found it to be very quick for my modest data set (~5000 tracks) on a Win10 Intel NUC 8i5BEH.  Apparently it moves values between libraries without reading the audio files.  For a much larger collection, I imagine it may sit there spinning for a few minutes.  It would be nice if FieldQuery() put up a spinning wheel message while it was working.

My application re using it as a "Tag on Import" rule would be to keep an Image library synchronized to an Audio library.  I just set up an Image library monitoring my Music file directory structure, so that all the cover art images etc. are available in a global glance in the Image library.  Works great for "Recently Added", "Year (released)", and "Artists" views as long as the directory structure is shallow.  I also wanted "Last Played", but that is not a user writable field and "Last Played" means something very different for music and images - might work with a custom field though.  Yes, it could be slow if you import an entire library, but normally only a few albums get added/changed at a time. 

So now we're down to the OP Item (1) :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up