INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Start Guide for Installing JRiver Mediacenter 28 on an rPi4 2-4-8GB  (Read 9693 times)

Wheaten

GrahamG

• Recent member

Thanks for instructions.
For info, I had trouble connecting with VNC when I disconnected the monitor.
x11vnc was failing on boot up.
I used putty to go into raspi-config
Then went into the display option and set it to 1920x1020
Rebooted, then VNC would connect without a monitor.

GrahamG

• Recent member

Also, to get sound out of HDMI I had to edit config.txt as described here...
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/audio-config.md

Wheaten

Good to hear that you resolved it.

You did perform these steps? As this should resolve the HDMI screen issue.

Code: [Select]
$ cd /boot && sudo nano config.txtThis will show you the file config.txt in the text editor nano. You'll see a lot of information in the config file already, scroll down to the bottom of the file using the direction keys on your keyboard and enter the following two lines exactly as shown:

framebuffer_width=1400
framebuffer_height=800

GrahamG

• Recent member

Good to hear that you resolved it.

You did perform these steps? As this should resolve the HDMI screen issue.

$ cd /boot && sudo nano config.txtThis will show you the file config.txt in the text editor nano. You'll see a lot of information in the config file already, scroll down to the bottom of the file using the direction keys on your keyboard and enter the following two lines exactly as shown:

framebuffer_width=1400
framebuffer_height=800

Yes I did do that, and I checked the file.

GrahamG

• Recent member

Just to set expectations for others who may want to give this a go, judging by the experience I've had so far.
I wanted to use the RPi to play HiRes files (FLAC, DSF) both 2ch and multichannel.
I have found it struggles with multichannel, lots of buffering. Also, I hear crackling in the rear speakers. I have googled and I'm not the only one to experience this so I think it is a more general issue rather than one specific to me.
Things are more successful with 2ch, but even so the performance is not ideal.
PS to clarify, I did increase the swap file to 1Gb.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Try the option called "Disable audio buffering to disk".

You could be hitting the limit for file I/O.  Those are big files.

HaWi

Not sure this is the correct sub-forum but I'll try here first.

I have MC 28.0.34 running nicely on my RPi4-8GB but I don't seem to be able to output 24 bits. When I play tracks that are xxkHz/24bit, I always see the message "OUTPUT: xxkHz 16 bit y channels using ALSA (not using enough bits to output the input directly)" after clicking the Tools on the top right. I don't know if it's MC or the RPi.
Is there anything I can do about that?
Many thanks
Hans
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

bob

• Administrator

I have MC 28.0.34 running nicely on my RPi4-8GB but I don't seem to be able to output 24 bits. When I play tracks that are xxkHz/24bit, I always see the message "OUTPUT: xxkHz 16 bit y channels using ALSA (not using enough bits to output the input directly)" after clicking the Tools on the top right. I don't know if it's MC or the RPi.
Many thanks
Hans
The built in RPi hardware can only do 16 bits.
You'd need to add an external USB DAC or Hat (like a allo digi or hifiberry) to do more.

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

Thank you Bob
Not sure I have the skills to do that. I might have to look into another option for my MC server. Everything I have tried so far has some limitations, The NAS doesn't have HDMI output, so no mch playback, the iMac is not reliably on at all times and the rPi only does 16 bit (which may not be a real problem as I am not sure I could hear the difference, unless there are other limitations linked to that). Maybe a small Linux box would be good.
Anyway, thanks again for letting me know

Itīs really simple with the hifiberry dacs though. You plug it in and then you follow their setup guide.

https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/archive/hifiberry-software-configuration/

Though, I donīt think they have anything with HDMI either. Only analog or S/PDIF as far as i can tell.

HaWi

Thanks Max,
My SR-7007 has a S/PDIF input. I might give it a try. It won't do 6 channels, though, would it?
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
JRemote 3.43

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

Thanks Max,
My SR-7007 has a S/PDIF input. I might give it a try. It won't do 6 channels, though, would it?

No. Appearently itīs impossible to do that with anything that connects to the GPIO headers on a raspberry. So youīre gonna need to look at USB dacs if you want that.

https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/201533982-Multichannel-

HaWi

Thanks Max, I'll have a look
JRemote 3.43

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Quick Start Guide for Installing JRiver Mediacenter 28 on an rPi4 2-4-8GB
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 06:26:20 pm »

hallo wheaten
I changed the swap file to 1024 according to your information.
WOW
you say "It improved my performance"
I say filled 10x faster
I was a bit disappointed at how slow and sluggish everything is. One click of the mouse and I'll wait, but now.

to you
Your installation instructions were great. Even a Linux novice managed it without any problems.
great respect for your work.

Reinhard

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 05:59:50 pm »

Some initial benchmarks of 32-bit vs 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=raspberrypi-32bit-64bit&num=2

Wheaten

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 02:19:18 am »

Thanks for your feedback, appreciated!

Zachik

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2022, 06:13:14 pm »

Anyone managed to successfully install on Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit and PI2AES hat (with RPi 4)?
MC28 (latest version) installed just fine, but I get no audio at all  :(
I am connected to my DAC through the AES/EBU output of the PI2AES, and confirmed the hardware and connections are OK (using a Volumio image on a 2nd microSD card).
Running raspi-config, there is only 1 device in the Audio menu, so I cannot really choose the wrong one there...
In MC28, I tried each and every Audio output option. None gets any sound.
Ideas anyone?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2022, 10:11:54 am »

Anyone managed to successfully install on Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit and PI2AES hat (with RPi 4)?
MC28 (latest version) installed just fine, but I get no audio at all  :(
I am connected to my DAC through the AES/EBU output of the PI2AES, and confirmed the hardware and connections are OK (using a Volumio image on a 2nd microSD card).
Running raspi-config, there is only 1 device in the Audio menu, so I cannot really choose the wrong one there...
In MC28, I tried each and every Audio output option. None gets any sound.
Ideas anyone?
Run the alsamixer and make sure the device isn't muted or it's mixer set to 0.

Wheaten

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2022, 10:25:23 am »

If Bob's option doen't give the desired result, check the dtoverlay used in Volumio (/boot/config.txt or /boot/userconfig.txt) vs the one used for JRiver (/boot/config.txt). If they differ take the dtoverlay= line used in the Volumio and use the same for JRiver and see if that will do the job.

Zachik

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2022, 03:46:58 pm »

If Bob's option doen't give the desired result, check the dtoverlay used in Volumio (/boot/config.txt or /boot/userconfig.txt) vs the one used for JRiver (/boot/config.txt). If they differ take the dtoverlay= line used in the Volumio and use the same for JRiver and see if that will do the job.
Bob's suggestion did not work (master volume was on 100% already), but...
dtoverlay= line was different.

Changing it to the same as on my Volumio working image.... Viola!  WORKS!!!!  :)
Thank you so much.

Wheaten

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2022, 04:12:56 pm »

Good to hear, the PI2AES has technical similarity to the Hifberry Digi+ which doesn't always init correctly. Enjoy your playback!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2022, 09:23:07 am »

Good to hear, the PI2AES has technical similarity to the Hifberry Digi+ which doesn't always init correctly. Enjoy your playback!
Thanks for fixing that. I forget about the overlay stuff on the Pi at times.
From what I'd read some time ago they were going to "fix" that be having a eerom on the add on devices to be parsed when booting to automatically load the overlay.
Don't know how far that got.

BayensF

• World Citizen

Many thanks
Hans

Hi, maybe Suptronic x6000 7.1 or 8 Ch board is a good option (ES9023). Hdmi passthrough and Hdmi ARC, designed tor RPi 3 and works with RPI 4. Toslink out also for ARC. When I have received my ordered RPI4 I will set it up. I am done with Windows, to many updates. Only correct HDMI set up is needed.

First set-up done, replaced "mediacenter28" with "mediacenter29", worked! Added de X6000 is working also, no HDMI setup needed only thing is to select the correct audio output in MC. X6000 analog out and JRiver DSP worked, with HDMI video out on the X6000. Only the HDMI audio stream was gone on the HDMI, so be aware you end with 8ch analog and TOSLINK out, and only HDMI video.

BayensF

• World Citizen

Hi,

If you want to add another directory, for example "musicvideo",

$ sudo mkdir /mnt/musicvideo

$ sudo chmod 7777 /mnt/musicvideo

<full path to your library> /mnt/musicvideo cifs credentials=/home/pi/.credentials,nofail,vers=3.0,x-systemd.automount,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000

This worked for me, but is it correct, no need to change any of the numbers?

BayensF

Wheaten

The numbers, are the settings for folder access. As I didn't want to go in these details I've granted full access (777, 7777). It works, but we won't win an award at the national security association.

chrisG81

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2023, 12:22:23 pm »

Why has the instruction been removed?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2023, 01:14:12 pm »

Why has the instruction been removed?
The OP removed it.
Just use the InstallJRMC instructions in the forum for your version of MC and any of the specifics in this thread for your audio device if they are useful.

manonon

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2023, 11:48:54 am »

Hello, HDMI CEC works on jriver on Raspberry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up