INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Import a Smart List or Play List?  (Read 2790 times)

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
How to Import a Smart List or Play List?
« on: July 03, 2021, 09:51:19 pm »

Hi all!

I am having trouble importing smartlists and/or playlists on my Android phone. I have exported the lists, but how do I import them in the phone?

I have JRiver for Android 27.0.61 64-bit. I tried these file formats:

.jsxml
.m3u

I put them in the phone's internal storage download folder, then also copied them to the SD card's version of  the download folder, then also copied them to the music folder on the SD card where my music actually is. I ran Run Auto Import. Nothing. JRiver sees the music, but not the lists.

I opened Import Folder. I can click through to the actual folder they are in. I can see the actual lists. But when I click them, they just make a clicking sound and nothing happens. There is no prompt to Accept or Enter or Import.

Also, if I can import them, where would they show up? Would they be in the UI's fourth box, the one with the three dots followed by three lines (why do these ambiguous icons not have a title option yet?).

So:

1) How to import a smart/play list?

2) Where will the lists appear?

Thanks for any help. I am about to go on a long driving trip. I finally got the music synced. Now I just need JRiver's bread and butter - the smartlist!

EDIT: I found a folder on the phone called: Computer\Galaxy S20+ 5G\Card\Playlists

So I put the lists in both the internal and the SD card versions of that folder. Auto Import still didn't find them. Maybe I didn't export them with the right settings?

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
Re: How to Import a Smart List or Play List?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 11:28:59 am »

I have been trying to import the smart/play lists from inside JRiver for Android. Should I be instead doing it using the main JRiver on my PC? And if so, how?

I have latest JRiver.

Thanks!

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 08:27:00 am »

JRiver for Android should be able to import smartlists exported from Media Center. When doing a manual import, select the folder that the files are in instead of the file itself. Use the green '+' symbol next to the folder name to import.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 09:54:54 pm »

I just returned from my trip. I was able to follow your instructions (thank you), but only smartlists imported (they were in .jsxml format). But no playlists imported. BTW, the smartlists did end up in that 4th UI box with 3 dots followed by 3 lines.

The playlists were in .m3u format. My guess is that is wrong. What format should the playlists be formatted in? Any other help, please?

BradATIMA

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 09:04:37 am »

It can import .m3u playlists. Smartlists usually show up under Playlists (The icon with thee three dots and three lines). Regular playlists usually show up under Playlists > Imported Playlists.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 02:59:24 pm »

OK, thanks!

I see the playlists there. They are represented by an image of a circle with a large minus symbol in it. When I tap it, I am getting a blank screen only.

BradATIMA

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 03:11:46 pm »

It sounds like the file paths to the music files might be wrong in the .m3u file. You can use relative paths, but make sure they're correct.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 03:26:08 pm »

Thanks for your quick reply. I am confused by your answer. How do I make a playlist on my PC with relative paths and have it work on the phone?

Also, when exporting the playlist on the PC, should I use M3U Playlist (simple) or M3U Playlist (extended) or M3U8 Playlist? Or would one of the other options be best?

BradATIMA

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 10:01:30 am »

It would be a lot easier if you could create playlists in JRiver for Android. This feature will be added eventually. For now, what you can do, when exporting a playlist, save it in a location that would be the same relative to the media files as it would be on your phone. Then the relative paths should be correct or very close. You can manually edit the paths in an m3u file.

Pretty much any playlist format should work. I usually use m3u simple, but most options can easily be edited with a text editor.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 11:42:48 am »

-Thanks for all your help!

-I looked at the exported playlists from regular JRiver in Notepad++. The playlists appeared identical whether I had "Store paths relative to exported playlist location" selected or not, at least for "M3U Playlist (simple)".

-I cannot figure out what the path would be on my phone's SD Card. The phone is not rooted. I see that I could edit the paths, but with hundreds of songs across multiple playlists that is not a great option.

-It seems weird that JRiver for Android can figure out smartlists but not playlists.

-Since its clear that working in Android is challenging, perhaps it would be easier for now to have regular JRiver have an export playlist for Android phone feature?

-I hope you don't abandon JRiver for Android. It is really cool and close to being ready for prime time, but it isn't yet. It feels like the development has been... less enthusiastic for a while now. Unfortunately, you released it on the Play Store too early and it got savaged by reviews. I did ask for a way to get it through my regular JRiver account. Maybe you can re-release it when it is more polished and start the review thing over again.

-To be clear, let me repeat that, despite the frustration, JRiver for Android has serious potential. As a longtime JRiver customer going back to Media Jukebox 7, I appreciate the JRiver team. You are one of the only paid software projects that I gladly support and have not gone open source or free software with! Hope you all have gotten through the last year and a half of crazy OK!

BradATIMA

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 08:58:05 pm »

-It seems weird that JRiver for Android can figure out smartlists but not playlists.

Smartlists work differently than playlists. Smartlists do not use file paths. Smartlists are basically expressions that determine what files in the library to put in the list. So, a smartlist should always work as long as there are files in the library. A playlist is a bunch of file paths.

-Since its clear that working in Android is challenging, perhaps it would be easier for now to have regular JRiver have an export playlist for Android phone feature?

There is a way to do this for phones if you use Media Center to sync the playlist. You need to make sure that the option 'Write Custom Playlist files' is checked. However, if you put the music files on your phone manually or some other way, this will likely create duplicate files because this will also sync the music files for those playlists.

-I hope you don't abandon JRiver for Android. It is really cool and close to being ready for prime time, but it isn't yet. It feels like the development has been... less enthusiastic for a while now. Unfortunately, you released it on the Play Store too early and it got savaged by reviews. I did ask for a way to get it through my regular JRiver account. Maybe you can re-release it when it is more polished and start the review thing over again.

There are no plans to abandon JRiver for Android. There are numerous improvements planned for it.

-To be clear, let me repeat that, despite the frustration, JRiver for Android has serious potential. As a longtime JRiver customer going back to Media Jukebox 7, I appreciate the JRiver team. You are one of the only paid software projects that I gladly support and have not gone open source or free software with! Hope you all have gotten through the last year and a half of crazy OK!

I understand the frustration, but we really appreciate the feedback so we know what to work on.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 09:46:22 pm »

Thanks, BigCat!
Pages: [1]   Go Up