INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD playback Stuttering  (Read 1662 times)

feins

• Recent member
DSD playback Stuttering
« on: July 16, 2021, 11:40:33 pm »

Hi All,

Ive tested JRiver MC27 and also JRiver MC28 now.
My issue is that DSD playback always had some Stuttering here and there while playback.
Its not very obvious if listening from Speaker but its pretty obvious while listening using Headphone.
Ive try to play around with my Playback setting by changing the buffering time or try to load the decoded music to memory but doesn't help much.

I had my JRiver MC28 install on my Windows 10 Workstation with a 12Core Xeon processor and 32GB of DDR3 1333Mhz Ram.
Creative Soundblaster X G6 Usb DAC
Playback setting
Audio Device Creative Soundblaster ASIO
Device Setting Buffering 100ms
Output DSD bitstream in DoP format
Loaded Decoded file into Memory.
Bitstreaming DSD
Prebuffering 6 sec

All the media are store on a NAS Unraid Server 6.9.2
Network tested via Wifi 6AC or Direct wire also the same.

Anyone happen to face any issue for playback stuttering?   I cant find any new thread about this issue.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
Re: DSD playback Stuttering
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 02:07:24 pm »

do you see any bottlenecks?
Task Manager, Resource Manager?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 09:36:10 pm »

Are you playing DSD files directly or are you converting to DSD? What DSD format are you playing? Studdering usually happens when converting to high sample rate DSD.

feins

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 05:53:40 am »

do you see any bottlenecks?
Task Manager, Resource Manager?
There is not much of utilization on the Task Manager.
You can see it on the Screen shot attached.
It is not consistent, like always stuttering on the specific time or track it just happen randomly some time 2 to 3 time per track sometime happen after few track.
I'm running out of idea what's might be the problem.
As well my Trial are on its end soon.

feins

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 05:59:49 am »

Are you playing DSD files directly or are you converting to DSD? What DSD format are you playing? Studdering usually happens when converting to high sample rate DSD.

I'm Bitstreaming it to my DAC directly.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 09:08:37 am »

That should play without any problem. I would try moving the file to an internal drive. And. try using WASAPI rather than ASIO.

feins

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 03:23:14 am »

That should play without any problem. I would try moving the file to an internal drive. And. try using WASAPI rather than ASIO.

Won't ASIO handle better compared to WASAPI?

I've just updated to the latest version of JRiver to 28.0.42 from 28.0.32, I will try it out tonight and report back any improvement regarding the issue.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 07:26:15 am »

Yes ASIO should be preferable. Trying WASABI might tell if there is an issue with the driver however. I would also try turning off play from memory. Again just to see if it might be causing a problem for some unknown issue.

feins

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 02:54:14 am »

Yes ASIO should be preferable. Trying WASABI might tell if there is an issue with the driver however. I would also try turning off play from memory. Again just to see if it might be causing a problem for some unknown issue.

Good news.
Yesterday I've tested on 28.0.42 listening for 5 hour on Headphone without any issue of Stuttering.
Ive tested via Bitstreaming using WASAPI as request by dtc.
Tested Bitstreaming using ASIO
Load to memory on.
Load to memory off.
All went well without any issue.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 06:33:24 am »

So that was a glitch in JRiver build then?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 07:14:35 am »

So that was a glitch in JRiver build then?
I don't think it was.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 01:29:33 pm »

It is probably not a fix in the new version. If it were a bug, more people would be reporting. It was probably some gremlin in the last installation. Re-installing may have fixed it also. That is why I was asking to check options that should have no effect.  Probably never know what caused the problem.

feins

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 12:05:11 am »

It is probably not a fix in the new version. If it were a bug, more people would be reporting. It was probably some gremlin in the last installation. Re-installing may have fixed it also. That is why I was asking to check options that should have no effect.  Probably never know what caused the problem.

Previously i was using Foobar 2000 and also Hysolid where there is no Stuttering issue but due to Foobar issue with library and Hysolid unsupported with DSD.iso files.
Actually i did reinstall also did reset my windows 10 and restore Windows 10 from scratch since version JMC 27.
I try to hunt for solution but cant really find an answer read some old tread about increasing the buffer it help a bit but didn't really solve the issue, it didn't noticeable via output to speakers but its pretty noticeable on headphone due to at night i listen on my headphone so i don't disturb others.
Then i come across the new version 28 are releasing and tot of get it a go. the issue still exist until 28.0.32 but after update to version 28.0.42 the issue resolved now it version 28.0.44 and still play smoothly without any issue. 
But anyway im happy now the issue resolved thanks for all the community help on trying to resolve the issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up