INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote2 Feature Request: Reset server's ErrorFreeMode to its original state  (Read 1277 times)

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

When JRemote2 plays a track from my MC Server, it apparently puts the server in ErrorFreeMode and leaves it in that state when JRemote2 closes.  Subsequently, many operations on the server no longer show interactive popup menus (File > Library > Back Up Library... and Help > Logging > Reset for example).

Request:  Add an option to reset server's ErrorFreeMode to its original state when JRemote2 closes.  If ErrorFreeMode=0 (not activated) initially, it should be returned to this state when JRemote2 closes.

Alternative:  MC Server tracks its ErrorFreeMode state and Remote connections, so that as Remote connections disappear, the server automatically restores the correct ErrorFreeMode state.  This solution could handle multiple Remote connections more gracefully (if that use case is of concern).

Reference:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129986.0.html

Hendrik

• Administrator

Turning Error Free mode off when its needed is far worse then suppressing one or two mostly inconsequential message boxes, because it can prevent playback from advancing on a headless system and require complicated manual user intervention. Hence we're rather cautious doing any such things.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

Turning Error Free mode off when its needed is far worse then suppressing one or two mostly inconsequential message boxes, because it can prevent playback from advancing on a headless system and require complicated manual user intervention. Hence we're rather cautious doing any such things.

Thanks for that insight.  I understand your caution.

The request is for a way to manage ErrorFreeMode so that it is on whenever needed, but then automatically turned off when not needed.  For a headless system, it could be left on all the time.  For a multitasking desktop PC as server with monitor and keyboard, ErrorFreeMode could be turned off when no remotes are connected so that the user is less likely to be surprised by disappearing message boxes. 

Side Note: When PC clients Play from my server, the server's ErrorFreeMode remains off anyway (MC 28.0.42, true for both GUI and Panel on the client; I have no experience with other MCWS apps).  So JRemote2 is an exception for me, though I do use it quite often.

Some possible solutions:

1) It seems simplest for remote connections to "clean up" before closing.  That may be sufficient for one, but not robust for multiple simultaneous instances.

2) Server-based state tracking described in OP.

3) An ErrorFreeMode state toggle button under tools menu, so the user does not need to open a web browser.  It could raise a warning if remotes are connected.

4) Matt's initial suggestion:  Leave a subset of message boxes, which only appear during user initiated interactions (like library backup), unblocked all the time.  However that might present a problem for some apps on headless servers.

5) Show a count-down timer within the message when in ErrorFreeMode: 10, 9, 8, ..., 1, 0 (secs) and then vanish to default land if no response is detected.

I don't know the total number of disappearing message boxes likely to be encountered by users.  So far, I was surprised by two messages during library back ups (which I use a lot right now), and two in the help > logging system as previously reported (not a good place for messages to disappear).

Now that I am fully aware of the root cause, I can of course manage ErrorFreeMode manually with MCWS commands in a browser plus username/password login, but that is less than ideal and certainly required some work to discover.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

FYI:
Per release notes, MC 28.0.50 (8/6/2021) and 28.0.51 (8/10/2021) ping ponged back and forth on handling ErrorFreeMode.  Current status is:

28.0.51 (8/10/2021)

2. Changed: Added the menu item "Exit Error Free Mode" to turn off error free mode (appears in the Help menu when in error free mode).

I confirmed today in MC 28.0.53 that running JRemote2 triggers the ErrorFreeMode message in the Help menu as described in release note above.  Note the Library Backup message boxes were set in 28.0.43 to always appear, and they still do, which is fine with me:

Confirmed that in new release MC 28.0.44, if the MC server is in Error Free Mode, then server "Library Back Up..." messages now appear just like with ErrorFreeMode=0.
Thanks.

Thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up