INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Oppo 105D or Sony X800M2 people here?  (Read 2329 times)

HandLogger

• Recent member
Any Oppo 105D or Sony X800M2 people here?
« on: July 23, 2021, 04:15:23 pm »

Old engineer here, so it's going to be tough to be concise, but I'll give it a try...

Up to this point, I've used JRiver Mc 28 for Mac to "push" audio to two streaming players on our wireless home LAN: the Sony X800M2 and the Oppo BDP-105D, which, given the trial and error that went into this "Digital Jukebox" project, is a wonderful thing.  The thing that gives me pause, however, is the fact that every time I see an audio file [a song title] on either streaming player's video interface, it's invariably identified as an .mp3 file.  To clarify, I can see the imported audio files in the MC 28 interface as having the proper file type, which is .flac...but once these files are received by the streaming player, they are consistently identified as .mp3 audio files.   

Put simply, a great deal of time and expense has gone into converting our disc media collection to lossless .flac, so seeing anything indicating that these audio files have been compressed "ain't" good and, quite frankly, runs contrary to our goal.

If anyone using JRiver MC 28 for Mac media server software has run into this issue, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thank you for your time  :)     P.S. - We have no access to a high-speed internet service provider in our locale. 
MacBook Pro 17 (early-2011) and MacBook Pro 15 (mid-2015).  The older MBP17 is operating via macOS Sierra 10.12.6, while the newer MBP 15 still operates via OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and both machines are still as stable as a couple of rocks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: Any Oppo 105D or Sony X800M2 people here?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 04:56:48 pm »

On the server, you can set conversion.  Choose original.  It's in the Media Network options under edit server.

HandLogger

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 12:31:27 am »

On the server, you can set conversion.  Choose original.  It's in the Media Network options under edit server.

Jim ~ First, thanks for the reply.  I'm not really sure that we're on the same page, but I [believe] I found what you were referring to.  What I found under Services & Plug-ins (on the left side of the main window) was the Media Network option, so I selected it and proceeded to click on the OPTIONS button/control.  At that point, a new "Options" window appeared showing a menu for the Media Network.  On the right side of said Options window, I went to the bottom of the list and opened up the Client Options drop-down menu. 

Under Client Options, I found the Audio Conversion v Conversion option with "Convert Audio If Necessary" selected, so I changed the selection to "Don't Convert Audio."  After doing that, I clicked on the v Encoder option and found "MP3 High Bandwidth" selected, so I changed that to "PCM 24-Bit" (to hopefully eliminate MP3 from the picture).

After shutting down the MacBook Pro (MBP), I restarted JRiver MC 28 and, after confirming the changes I just made, I ripped a new CD (that's never been ripped) and, once it was fully ripped, I converted the file type for all tracks to FLAC.  From there, I proceeded to create a new Shared Playlist containing the newly-ripped and converted FLAC files.

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the files sent to our players as .mp3 type files and, even more concerning, these brand new .mp3 files are being played back at 128Kbps.  By the way, I also went through the same process with some FLAC files we have stored on a thumb drive, with the same end result.   

Any thoughts on why the conversion is still occurring?   
MacBook Pro 17 (early-2011) and MacBook Pro 15 (mid-2015).  The older MBP17 is operating via macOS Sierra 10.12.6, while the newer MBP 15 still operates via OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and both machines are still as stable as a couple of rocks.

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 12:55:00 am »

convert to PCM24

HandLogger

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 03:10:11 pm »

convert to PCM24

AGAWA..... Would you please elaborate on your last post?   ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 04:19:30 pm »

Search for "convert' here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

If you want to know more about a term like PCM24, try using a Google search.  Then add "JRiver" to your search.

HandLogger

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 10:40:49 pm »

Well, folks, thanks for the suggestions, but MC 28 for Mac doesn't have the options specified in Wiki.  As an engineer who makes a living by following and writing technical standards, I suspect that the Wiki article is not based on the latest version of MC for Mac.  There simply is no "Original format" option available, for example, so I believe that someone needs to go through the interface and update the Wiki article. 

Thanks again for trying to help ~ HL

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 01:02:22 am »

have you tried "convert when necessary"  with changed mp3 to PCM24?

I know that you don't want any conversion, but there maybe a software glitch. You never know what programmers do.
Most of DLNA implementations convert almost everything without asking you.

Good luck

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 01:26:22 am »

BTW, OPPO recommend "oshare" simple DLNA server that does not convert. free.

HandLogger

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 02:32:37 am »

BTW, OPPO recommend "oshare" simple DLNA server that does not convert. free.

AGAWA..... Based on my reading, oShare was written as an alternative to Windows Media Player: not for Mac OS X.

Here's the link to what I'm referring to: http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/configuringDNLA.html 

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 04:41:52 am »

apologies, I did not notice MAC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 07:47:38 am »

I don't have a Mac available.  On Linux, it's Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA Servers   That's eight lines down from the top.

HandLogger

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 10:14:37 pm »

have you tried "convert when necessary"  with changed mp3 to PCM24?

I know that you don't want any conversion, but there maybe a software glitch. You never know what programmers do.
Most of DLNA implementations convert almost everything without asking you.

Good luck

I want to make sure that I answer any questions I can, AGAWA, and the answer to this one is, yes.  I've tried every combination of conversion option and file type available through the JRiver MC 28 for Mac "Media Network" options and settings. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 08:30:04 pm »

I want to make sure that I answer any questions I can, AGAWA, and the answer to this one is, yes.  I've tried every combination of conversion option and file type available through the JRiver MC 28 for Mac "Media Network" options and settings.
I have an Oppo 103D it works fine with FLAC files.
I just played a 24 bit 176k flac file to it with MC28 from an iMac. No problem. Not mp3.

You should check your settings.
Options->Media Network->Add or configure DLNA server.
If you need more than one server, add one and create a custom configuration, otherwise if there is only the default "Generic DLNA" server change the Audio Format to "Original".

If you have more than one server, right-click on the Oppo zone and do DLNA Controller options
Associate with DLNA server
and choose the one you setup to do Original Format.

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 08:27:42 am »

I've got the Sony X800M2 and have my MC28 DLNA server configured as Bob suggests.  I'm able to stream hi-res, DSD, and pretty much any other format unchanged.

HandLogger

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 02:00:16 pm »

In Reply #2 (above), you will read that I went through the process of following the advice given by a forum administrator: and failed to correct this issue.  After following a second administrator's advice, which came two days later, I was able to correct the issue at hand.  In the end, I put three days into this problem.

Up to this point, I've found three places in the MC 28 for Mac interface where one can make conversion changes to audio.  Perhaps this is a great thing for advanced media server users, but I'm not so sure when it comes to those of us who aren't media network experts.  In addition, I think that it's a mistake to assume that potential customers interested in organizing and playing their digital audio files won't want to get as much as they can out of their digital music files.  Yes, MP3 is probably the most commonly accepted form of audio file, but it's certainly not the best choice for people who've made a investment in their audio equipment.

In the end, I'm able to play the .flac files I started out with, so thanks to the forum administrators and JRiver users who took the time to post suggestions to this thread.  :)

HandLogger

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2022, 02:39:24 pm »

I have an Oppo 103D it works fine with FLAC files.
I just played a 24 bit 176k flac file to it with MC28 from an iMac. No problem. Not mp3.

You should check your settings.
Options->Media Network->Add or configure DLNA server.
If you need more than one server, add one and create a custom configuration, otherwise if there is only the default "Generic DLNA" server change the Audio Format to "Original".

If you have more than one server, right-click on the Oppo zone and do DLNA Controller options
Associate with DLNA server
and choose the one you setup to do Original Format.

As we're seriously considering the new/upcoming MC29 for Mac version of Media Center, I went back through the threads/posts we made during our MC28 for Mac trial period.  This thread covers what was clearly the most troubling issue we had while experimenting with MC28 for Mac.

Regardless, I don't wish to be one of those folks that's only heard from when something's wrong, so, in the spirit of the positive vibe, I wanted to recognize administrator bob for jumping into this issue and giving it the ol' "due diligence." 

As I was reviewing this issue thread, that I started back in July of 2021, I recalled just how frustrating and time-consuming it was for us, so, once again, many thanks to bob for helping us get to the bottom of this issue.  :)

By the way, the thoughtful advice that actually got us out of this mess is shown in the quote above...

Have a good one,
HL   
Pages: [1]   Go Up