INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream TV from Linux to Windows client??  (Read 1937 times)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Stream TV from Linux to Windows client??
« on: July 27, 2021, 01:06:38 pm »

Is this possible?  I have a Linux box (remote) that has all my tuners, and when I try to stream a TV channel to my Windows client (JRiver 28 for both server and client), it says I have no tuners available.  I can play TV on the Linux box.  I have tried with and without my VPN.  I should have plenty of bandwidth on both sides, so not sure why it isn't working. 

EDIT: As a side note, it seems I also can't delete recorded TV episodes from the Windows Client.  I can delete locally though.  Also as a side note, I can play the recorded TV file on the Windows side once it is done recording.

Edit2: Looks like I can delete, I guess I just didn't wait long enough.  Still can't play live TV, or recordings currently in process.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Stream TV from Linux to Windows client??
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 09:43:35 am »

Playback of TV from a client, especially when the server is recording, is not implemented.

At this time, only streaming TV channels are available on Linux anyway.  So it is possible you can just stream from a tuner directly on the Windows client.  You should enable a tuner on the client so that the client can access it directly.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 10:07:28 am »

As far as I know, there is no way to make MC see a HDHomeRun tuner on a different subnet/VLAN, and even though I can connected via VPN, it is a different VLAN.  I can stream to VLC from the tuners, so I do know it works.  If there was a way to make the HDHomeRuns available on the client, I would do that.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 12:57:15 pm »

I see.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 01:08:03 pm »

I wonder if there is a way to add the URL's per channel as IPTV channels?  Not sure if that would work or not though.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 01:38:51 pm »

So I have been playing around with this, and it doesn't seem to work.  I can 'Open URL' and paste in "http://10.1.13.97:5004/auto/v4", and it works, but it doesn't seem to work if I import a m3u file and use it as an IPTV source.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 01:52:20 pm »

I get Failed to create JRiver Video Engine and/or Unspecified error when I try.

But I know nothing about IPTV.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 02:20:01 pm »

Right, you can not just use that URL as an IPTV URL.  Currently we only support IPTV channels that use HTTP Live Streaming protocol.  So the URL must specify an m3u8 file.  On the other hand, you can not manually add the channel as a "Tuner Stream" channel since that type must be tied to a device.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 02:23:50 pm »

OK, sounds like no live TV on the client then.  Thanks.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 03:27:04 pm »

OK, sounds like no live TV on the client then.  Thanks.

Just to confirm, when the clients can see the tuner, live TV on clients works great, so it might be worth trying to figure out how to bridge that gap.  If I had to guess, I'd bet that the multicast/discovery packets are not getting through (they normally don't leave the subnet they're on).  There's probably a way to route MediaCenter's SSDP/etc. packets from the client subnet to the VPN subnet (just at the router or VPN level, not at the MC level).

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 03:45:58 pm »

Thanks.  Based on this:

https://community.ui.com/questions/Howto-HDHomerun-discovery-on-different-LAN-segment/97db52c6-4add-4ba1-ab0d-27ee6f43db8f

I also am using an EdgeOS router in the office, but I am not too excited about messing with how broadcast traffic flows.  Too many things can go horribly wrong, and too many people rely on the network to be up and running, so I will likely just deal with only watching recorded shows, which is 95% of what I do anyways.  I have a Youtube TV subscription for the times I might want live.
Pages: [1]   Go Up