INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art - are covers backed up in Library Backup?  (Read 859 times)

AGAWA

• World Citizen
Cover Art - are covers backed up in Library Backup?
« on: August 08, 2021, 02:52:36 am »

Cover Art - are covers backed up in Library Backup?
The reason for my question is following:
I want to compile my library on convenient desktop (Mac Mini) and when ready restore it to my another "server"Mac mini that will actually play through external DAC.

I would expect Cover Art to be restored to another Mac. If not what should I do to import all of covert art.

stefano_mbp

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Cover Art - are covers backed up in Library Backup?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 03:50:30 am »

From a JRiver lexicon point of view:
Library contains all the configuration settings, custom views, files path
Archive contains music files, jpegs (ie cover arts), pdf (ie liner notes), …
Cover art should be embedded in the music files and/or saved in the same album folder.
Library backup do not save any music file or other kind of file, just the configuration and the files path.
Therefore, once your cover art are embedded and or saved in the album folders you can move your whole archive to another hdd (usb attached or nas) without loosing anything

stefano_mbp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 09:28:00 am »

…. for more clarity have a look here
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 01:39:49 am »

Stefano_mbp,
thank you for your guidance.
However, I will repeat my question:
Im storing Cover Art in default location: /Library/Application Support/JRiver/Media Center 28/Cover Art....
Im not storing image in the files tag.

And now I would like to know if backing up the library cover art from the said folder will be included in the backup.

I had an impression once while moving library from one computer to another via backup and restore that cover art was transferred  to another computer.

If  not I can always copy the relevant part and paste it in another. But some automation would be nice.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 10:20:23 am »

No, the backup does not contain the contents of the Cover Art directory.  You can copy it over yourself if you like.

I personally recommend that you store cover art INSIDE the music file if you can.  That way they never get separated.  The next best thing is to store the JPEG in the same directory as the music files.  You will usually copy/move all files in the album directories, so you'll get the cover art during any copy.

Keeping cover art in a common central location is a bad idea in my opinion.  I don't see any benefit to using it.  Only down sides.

Good luck.
Brian.

Outlaw Audio

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Dogs......because people suck
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 10:37:21 am »

Keeping cover art in a common central location is a bad idea in my opinion.  I don't see any benefit to using it.  Only down sides.

Good luck.
Brian.
+1
Cover art belongs in a sub-directory of the work it belongs to, not a centralized sub-directory that the server doesn't share explicitly (which may also change from server to client)

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 12:06:02 pm »

thank you all for all insight

Pages: [1]   Go Up