INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC does not return to default display settings  (Read 5599 times)

lello

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC does not return to default display settings
« on: August 18, 2021, 01:26:54 am »

I need that when MC is not active, the display returns to the default 60hz refresh. In display settings I then selected custom and set the video resolution and refresh for each situation, while by default I selected 2160p at 60Hz.

Unfortunately for some time this no longer works and JRiver always remains in the refresh of the film just seen generally 23Hz creating some discomfort.

I also tried to modify with 50Hz or Desktop Settings, as well as to let madvr take care of changing the refresh by changing from Custom to On, but I did not solve the problem.

Is there any modification I need to make on Win10 or on the GPU?

Thanks for your help

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC does not return to default display settings
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 02:56:19 am »

Are you pressing stop, not pause?

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 03:48:24 am »

Yes, of course

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 03:57:44 am »

You can force a mode in Options->Video->Display Settings->Default

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 04:09:15 am »

that's what I do, but it hasn't worked for some time :)

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 04:23:00 am »

Also with "Desktop Settings" ? Of course, the mode needs to be correct when MC starts.
I configured a hotkey (CTRL+ALT+F8) in the display driver control panel to restore the mode, as MadVR/MPC-HC also sometimes fails to restore the mode.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 04:33:48 am »

I'm using such a setup and it works fine for me. For good measure, you can set both Video -> Display Settings -> Default as well as Tree & View -> Fullscreen -> Resolution, so that Theater View doesn't remember some wrong mode or something.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 07:08:44 am »

Also with "Desktop Settings" ? Of course, the mode needs to be correct when MC starts.

When I start MC, with the display configured at 60hz, I have the black screen for a few seconds and then everything goes back to 23Hz

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 07:10:30 am »

I'm using such a setup and it works fine for me. For good measure, you can set both Video -> Display Settings -> Default as well as Tree & View -> Fullscreen -> Resolution, so that Theater View doesn't remember some wrong mode or something.

I've never changed Tree & View. Later I check how it is configured

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 09:35:50 am »

Try setting MC's video to Red October Standard and then Red October HQ, but without any changes to madVR.  Just to test.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 10:25:23 am »

I checked and tree & wiew was set to desktop settings. I tried with 2160p60 but didn't fix it. I forgot to say one important thing. Having a non 4k receiver, at the moment I connected one output of the gpu to the projector and the other to the receiver: could this be the problem? Later I will take the test recommended by Jimh

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 12:36:10 pm »

When I start MC, with the display configured at 60hz, I have the black screen for a few seconds and then everything goes back to 23Hz

Does this mean that the mode changes when MC starts, not when you start playing something? That would be a different case.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 01:21:53 pm »

It changes when starting MC in Theater View mode even before opening a file. In standard view everything works regularly.

I tried to set up Red October Standard and then HQ, but the problem remains.

I probably have to change something in Theater View but I don't understand what

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 01:40:33 pm »

Theater View uses 3D drawing.  It's probably a video driver problem.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 02:26:13 am »

Thanks Jimh, I have updated the RX580 drivers and the problem has been solved. Actually I hadn't updated the drivers since May 2020, because the new versions created another problem for me that the guys at AMD have never been able to solve. I know it's not JRiver's problem, but I would be really grateful if you would help me. Having a 21: 9 screen some time ago I created (I don't remember if with the old Crimson or with CRU) a custom resolution 1620p60 that I use by default and that appears to me in the Win10 screen settings but not in the Adrenalin panel. Updating the drivers when I close JRiver the panel goes back to 1620p60 but it's all shifted up out of screen which doesn't happen with the May 2020 drivers. I've tried all the various Adrenalin settings (keep aspect ratio, center etc.) but they are not never managed to solve. I should perhaps correct that resolution, but I don't know where to intervene. Any advice is welcome. Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2021, 02:44:31 am »

Thanks for reporting the solution.  Sorry I can't help with your remaining problem.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2021, 05:15:53 am »

You can try reducing the Horizontal Front Porch in the custom mode settings:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-032

H.Front Porch – The Horizontal Front Porch is the number of pixels between the end of the Active Area and the next Horizontal Sync (distance between the bottom of the display to the lower most portion of the actual image).

There are many Video Timing Calculators such as this one to help find the correct values.

Edit: this may help - https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2021, 07:07:36 am »

As I said, on the AMD panel that custom resolution is not there; it is present only on the video settings of Win10 and therefore I do not know where to intervene to change it. Not even with CRU I see it

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2021, 07:21:13 am »

Then it's likely added directly to the registry (custom EDID modes), or on the Monitor INF driver.
Try changing your monitor driver to the generic "PnP Monitor", or reinstall the original monitor driver if you can find it on the manufacturer site.

Some registry info is here, you can check the mentioned keys and remove that one:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/overriding-monitor-edids

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2021, 10:25:50 am »

I did a registry search and deleted all entries that contained 3840x1620. I rebooted but that resolution still appears in the Win10 panel. I tried to create a new custom 1630p60 resolution from Adrenalin software, but I only get the black screen and the caption: hdmi source not supported. The curious thing is that now JRiver in Theater View works fine, better than before, but in Standard View the image pops out of the screen, the same thing happens with the desktop.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2021, 02:36:24 am »

Could an in-place reinstall of Win10 help me without deleting files and apps? If it really goes wrong, I can always restore the disk image.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2021, 11:53:54 am »

Doesn't hurt to try.

Did you try changing the Monitor driver? (not the GPU driver)
Check if the manufacturer has specific drivers for that monitor, maybe it natively supports that mode (hence the EDID info), but needs a driver to make it work correctly. Or if you already have the manufacturer's driver installed, try the generic PNP Monitor driver from Microsoft.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 10:24:32 am »

After countless tests, I found that the cause was the hdmi adaptation between the settings in the AMD panel. By default it is set to 0 but by moving it to 1%, the image returns perfectly to the center even if it does not cover the whole screen. The only problem is that the refresh goes from 60hz to 59.940 creating slight annoyances with the menu in Theater View (the movements are not smooth but in small jerks).

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 03:52:58 pm »

Will give the Theater View Resolution setting a try.

I too have this problem and it's seemingly random - when stopping a video the resolution/refresh rate will not always restore to my desktop setting of 4K60.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  I then have to go back into the nVidia control panel and reset the refresh rate (the video resolution is fine).

I've tried all the combinations I can think of to no avail.  Generally it just gets stuck on 23Hz and I have to change it back to 60.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2021, 11:47:49 am »

The only problem is that the refresh goes from 60hz to 59.940 creating slight annoyances with the menu in Theater View (the movements are not smooth but in small jerks).

In the long run, this solution proved to be very annoying, so I tried to fix the problem again.

I tried doing a clean install of the latest AMD drivers, using DDU in safe mode but didn't fix.

I tried CRU thinking it detected that custom resolution, but it didn't and creating a new 1630p60 resolution, the pc crashed.

I then did an in place installation of Win10, but that resolution still appeared in the Win10 settings panel.

I finally fixed it by reinstalling the 2020 drivers, but this time cleaning up first with DDU in safe mode.

Now everything works, but this means that I will never be able to update the GPU drivers: what if I want to change it?

It seems strange to me that updated drivers are worse than previous ones.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2021, 01:17:09 pm »

I may be wrong, but... isn't the frequency for 60Hz modes actually always 59.94Hz? This comes from the NTSC frame rate of 29.97 per field, or 2x29.97=59.94Hz fields per second. I believe all monitors/TVs actually work at this frequency, and "60Hz" is just eye candy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC#Technical_details

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2021, 09:35:11 am »

59 (or 59.94) are for TVs as zybex mentioned legacy from ntsc ... 60fps movies like Gemini Man are actually 59.94

60fps are for monitors ... ie desktop applications and games

Very confusing indeed ... 23.976 and 24 ... 29.97 and 30 ... 59.94 and 60

Sometimes monitors and TV report support fof both ... and option is available for choosing (59 and 60) ... sometimes they report it for compatibility reason but actually dont switch (so TV might be reporting support for 60fps but stays in 59 when told to go to 60).
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2021, 12:17:36 pm »

I tried to create a new custom 1630p60 resolution from Adrenalin software, but I only get the black screen and the caption: hdmi source not supported.

By chance I solved the problem by activating GPU Scaling. Now the file starts regularly even setting the custom resolution 1620p23, but the video is not fluid and there is a constant increase in glitches as seen from the madvr OSD (the problem is also present with the new JRVR): from what can it depend?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2021, 03:02:13 am »

Try disabling hardware video decoding ... solved similar microstuttering for some user awhile ago
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2021, 03:30:25 am »

Tried that too, but still don't fix :(

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2021, 05:32:19 am »

Hi lello,
I'm not much help on the AMD side of things.  I've only got nvidia (or Intel iGPU).  It looks like you have tried all the thing's I'd suggest (CRU, DDU in Safe mode etc). 

I do see a similar thing on my 3090 where two identical screens are connected, one using HDMI via an AVR, and one directly over Display Port.  The AVR connect screen works as expected with MC but not the screen over Display Port as it seems the EDID info over Display Port only shows refresh rates of 50/59/60 in the "Ultra HD, HD, SD" section and 30/60 under the "PC" section.  The screen connected via the AVR shows for "Ultra HD" all the expected refresh rates and there is no 2160p listing at all in the "PC" section. 

I had also tried to add a custom resolution to add the missing refresh rates as custom resolutions in the nvdia control panel for the Display Port Screen but with no luck (and then I gave up, I did not try CRU).  I just play MC on the AVR Connected Screen.  One thing I was considering (but I did not buy) is something like - https://hdfury.com/product/dr-hdmi-4k/  .  I can not vouch for this particular product but I've used a DVI Detective previously to fix (and keep broadcasting) the desired EDID data (you could set it via switches or even record your own set from say an AVR and use that profile).  There also used to be a way of overriding the EDID data in Windows but I can't find the thread (it was years ago on AVS or the like and may have only been for Intel GPUs). 
JRiver CEO Elect

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2021, 04:25:47 am »

Thanks for your intervention.

In the end I solved it by setting everything to 59.94 and now everything runs smoothly even with custom resolutions, and I can finally have the OSD within the active area. ;D

I've also reviewed the videos with JRVR's new ctrl + j, and it doesn't report any dropped / repeated frames. Only with 60hz videos (but I only have Gemini and some trailers), it signals me dropped frames but they are absolutely not noticeable to the eye.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2021, 02:37:21 am »

Only with 60hz videos (but I only have Gemini and some trailers), it signals me dropped frames but they are absolutely not noticeable to the eye.

A strange thing happens (at least for me).

I tried to solve the small problem of dropped frames with 60hz videos, setting only 60hz for these, even if 59.94, thinking it was the most correct thing.

I never did!

The screen went black and the PJ signaled me there was no signal so I tried to restart and turn off the htpc completely, to no avail.

Finally, to fix it, I moved the cable to the second hdmi output of the GPU, and restored a previous backup.

Can anyone explain to me what could have happened?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2021, 03:33:18 pm »

It sounds like the PJ does not support the timings used for 60fps (which is a bit odd, but they can be very finicky comparted to flat panels).  I had a look at out of the ~7,500 video files that I have how many are "true" 60fps and it was only 10 and they all look like dodgy re-encodes to me.  On this HTPC, I'd be leaving it at 59.94 unless you want to spend the time creating a custom 60hz res that the PJ will support.
JRiver CEO Elect

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2021, 01:02:53 am »

In fact, in the end I decided to leave everything at 59.94 as the video is fluid, the use of the GPU is correct and the temperatures are normal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up