INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature: finding similar Artists or albums based on sonic similarity  (Read 698 times)

henning65

• Junior Woodchuck

Hallo

Maybe I overlooked this feature...
Is there an option to find music similar to a certain song or album or group of album within the own database?

Is there -maybe- a plugin or is it somehow implemented in the JRiver MC software to analyze the sonic key-data of a song and compare it with other songs?
PLEX just announced a "Super sonic" feature with is generating a "music universe consists of points in N-dimensional space. This allows us [PLEX] to see how "close" anything in your [mine] library is form anything else, where distance is based on a large number of sonic elements in the audio" (https://www.plex.tv/blog/super-sonic-get-closer-to-your-music-in-plexamp/)

This instantly trigger a reflex (want to have) - which doesn't happen very often when it comes to how to organize and manage music...

Thanks for your feedback.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature: finding similar Artists or albums based on sonic similarity
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 04:11:27 am »

Try Play Doctor.

henning65

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Feature: finding similar Artists or albums based on sonic similarity
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 05:02:33 am »

@JimH: thanks for the quick help.

As far as I understand, "Play Doctor" generates a Smartlist based on tags-field data. Maybe also includes "last played" or "rating". I'm locking for a different kind of Smartlist. I would like to know if there is a tool available within JRiver MC to analyze the sonic data structure of a song (or even a group of songs) and suggest similar songs (or group of songs).
PLEX describes it as the "music universe consisting in N-dimensional space". To make it a bit more understandable I would compare it with a universe of stars, where each star represents a specific song. Each song has a specific "distance" to every other song. This distance represents the sonic similarity.

Such an understanding of relationships is not only interesting to generate smart lists. But it is a different kind to display the music library. You may navigate in this "universe" and "discover" in a totally new way your one music library.
I think I remember that the iOS-app "Groove" was using a similar way to navigate music library. Unfortunately the company was bought up by microsoft and as far as I remember they implemented this feature into their own product.

Back to my question: Does Play Doctor generates Smartlists based on sonic similarity or based on tags /metadata?
Pages: [1]   Go Up