INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 27 import issues - it ignores folders  (Read 2193 times)

mosser

• Recent member
MC 27 import issues - it ignores folders
« on: August 30, 2021, 11:36:45 am »

Hi,

I recently switched from a Windows laptop-based JRiver to using JRiver 27 on the Id 300, connected to the same QNAP NAS as I was using before.  Once I got the Id configured, I noticed not all the video files that used to import when using the laptop imported into the Id configuration.  I've read numerous threads here seeking a solution but cannot fix my issue.  JRiver seems to be ignoring large chunks of my video folder library.

I tried specifically importing one of the folders I knew wasn't importing (no luck).  The "ignore previously deleted files" setting is not checked.  It's not a character limit issue. 

I tried moving the un-importable files to a new folder and imported from the new location but then I actually lost (un-synced) many more files in the process.  When I moved the files back to the original location and re-imported (with the new location specified correctly in the import settings), none of the legacy files reappeared. 

The Id share path settings point the the mounted NAS/Multimedia on the QNAP NAS.  The JRiver import settings point to sub-folders (for Music, for Video) in the same mounted NAS.  Music files seem to be fine, but video files are not importing properly.  Please help?

mosser

• Recent member
Re: MC 27 import issues - it ignores folders
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 07:26:57 am »

Update: added a bunch of files to my NAS last night then ran auto-import.  Only the audio files imported; none of the video files.  This is pretty frustrating...any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

mosser

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 07:07:24 am »

Another update:

I can play video files that failed to auto-import if I manually select them by going to File > Open Media File then navigating to my Video folder on the NAS.  However, the videos stutter when they play; they are not smooth, so this isn't really a workable solution.

So, it's interesting that JRiver can "see" the video files when I navigate to them, but that JRiver ignores them during auto-import.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 07:13:17 am »

In auto import, edit the folder and double check what file types you're importing.

What type of files are they?

Check under documents.

mosser

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 06:08:46 pm »

Yes, thanks, I had already checked that the auto-import settings are set to watch my "Video" folder on the NAS for audio, video, and data.  I then enabled all formats/types and ran it, but no luck.  Then to experiment, I unchecked video and ran it then re-checked it to see if that would "trip" it.  No luck.

I tried moving some of the sub-folders in the "Video" NAS folder over to the "Music" NAS folder (which I can successfully import from) and it wouldn't pull in those video folders/files, regardless of the location.  Curiously, the few video files that DO import to JRiver are ones that have long been housed in the "Music" NAS folder (from a time before I moved over to the Linux/Id configuration).

Again, the "ignore previously deleted files" is unchecked...so weird...all these video files imported fine recently to my laptop-based JRiver jam...any more ideas???...help!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 08:38:08 pm »

What are the container and audio/video codecs of the files that will not import?

Is it possible you tried to import them without the Id being able to get at the internet? It needs to be able to download a libav component to be able to analyze the files.

You can create a smart playlist showing the bad or removed files by doing the following:

Right-click on Playlists in the tree
Add Smartlist
Change the name to Bad or Removed
Delete (with X the existing smart rule.
Click on the modifier changing from the default No modification to Limit database to
Click on the modifier field, check on Bad and Removed
Click OK

You'll then see a list of tracks that were flagged as bad on import or removed.
If there are any there, highlight them and right-click choose delete.
Choose remove from database ONLY (don't delete the files!)
Hit the refresh button
Repeat above if any remain.
Try the import again.

Note that NAS drives can't auto-import immediately because of their file systems don't support notification.
Either run the auto-import now option under import or wait (up to 120 minutes between runs when file system notification isn't supported)

mosser

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 08:23:48 pm »

You asked: What are the container and audio/video codecs of the files that will not import?
Answer: It's NAS > Multimedia > Video.  Within this there's a huge directory of artist folders (is size of folder a problem??)  Each artist folder contains numerous individual videos.  Many are VIDEO_TS folders but there are also file types like .vob, .mp4, mkv, etc.  Does this answer the question (my computer lingo is sometimes lacking e.g. "containers" and "codecs")?

The Id is connected to the internet.

I tried the smartlist suggestion and only a few files showed up, but they came from a separate Music folder.

And I've tried many different attempts of auto-importing these problematic folders.

Thanks for continued trouble-shooting.  Seems like there should be a simple fix (?), especially since all these folders used to import without issue when I was running JRiver on a laptop config from the NAS as compared to now with the Id configuration from the same NAS.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 12:11:33 pm »

Would you go to the External Media Menu (20) and do Display Status (13)?
Thanks.

mosser

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 07:42:16 pm »

I've attached a screenshot.  As you will see, it points to my mounted NAS, specifically to the master "Multimedia" folder which contains the "Music" folder (which imports fine) and the Video folder (which does not).  Other subfolders for Audiobooks import OK too.

Thanks Bob.

mosser

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 04:24:28 pm »

Another update:
I powered down the Id.  I disconnected it from my setup and plugged in the old Windows laptop I used to use.  I re-ran auto-import and lo and behold all my video files imported without issue.  I am currently watching 4k video again off my NAS - yay!

Also, the issue I was having with the Id dropping the signal to the receiver is not an issue when using the laptop; there is a persistent signal regardless if I change the input on the receiver.  I described that issue here:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129194.0.html

So, I will be returning the Id...I wish it was more user friendly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 04:54:33 pm »

I'm sorry we missed this.  If you want more help, send me a private message.
Pages: [1]   Go Up