INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library file size limits??  (Read 3397 times)

Lou Busch

• Recent member
Library file size limits??
« on: March 24, 2003, 02:06:29 pm »

I have a lot of information in my tags.  Whenever the MC library size gets over abour 40mb or so, the library will refuse to reload.   I have "untagged" some files, but I can no longer load even half of my 14,000ish library.  Is this a known issue?  

Does anyone have a mediafiles.jmd file > 40mb that loads? When MC is importing the files, I get a mediafiles.xxx (that is actually the letters) and meadiafiles.jmd file size drops a few hundred kb.  This also means the file will not reload.     Feedback is appreciated.
Lou

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library file size limits??
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 02:41:24 pm »

Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

Lou Busch

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 03:14:06 pm »

System info:
Media Center Registered 9.0.133 -- C:\Program Files\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0  (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1465 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 199 MB

Internet Explorer: 5.00.2920.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 5.00.2920.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.00.2920.0000 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: TDK      CDRW241040B        Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Lou

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 03:22:41 pm »

>> Does anyone have a mediafiles.jmd file > 40mb that >> loads?
yes

50.5 MB (53,042,044 bytes)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Lou Busch

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 03:32:28 pm »

KingSparta.. thanks for the reply.  As I recall, lyrics (I am beginning to include there also) were not kept in the database.  True?  Actually, with all my files loaded, the DB was just over 80mb (about 1400 files).  And it will play and display just fine.  It just won't re-load once closed.

I am just playing via the "My Computer" menu now... until I get this thing figured out.
Lou

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 05:48:12 pm »

For speed, everything is databased in MC 9 -- inclucing lyrics.

However, the database should still load and save alright.

What happens when you try to load?  What if you wait a few minutes?  How about after a computer reboot?

Thanks for helping us troubleshoot.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nila

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 10:50:03 pm »

Woah - U have a HUGE library.
How come it's so big?

Thanks to King I'm getting lyrics for a lot of my songs too now but it's still only 8Mb or so with 10,000 songs in there.

Lou Busch

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 02:36:33 pm »

Matt,
The message I receive is in message box titled "Critical Error". The message is "Media Center failed to load any library.  This is a critical error, and the program must stop running. Please re-install the latest version."  No matter how long I wait I get this message and must delete mediafiles.jmd to get MC to load.  I see the mediafiles.xxx file pop up (in mt file browser, not in MC) and I know it won't re-load.
I just attampted a single 1300 file directory.  No luck, and a 38mb mediafile.jmd file.

Nila,
I have coverart, and a fair amount of info from the AMG site: artist bio, album review(sometimes lengthy), group makeup, album style, labels and the occasional lyric.
Lou

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 03:01:08 pm »

Lou,
Something is strange (and bad) about your library.

If you're brave, you can try some things:

Update Library under Files in MC

If that doesn't work,
uninstall, remove registry entries, reinstall

If that doesn't work,
do "Clear Library".  That will get rid of the entire library.

Then reimport.

If that doesn't work, delete all the jmd files.  You will lose your playlists and maybe more.  I've never done it, but you could delete ALL BUT the playlists jmd files.

Then reimport.

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 03:51:52 pm »

Lou, i had a similar issue with the MC library a few builds ago.. When i deleted and then reimported everything was ok (and still is  - touch wood), its worth a try

PS my library (with no lyrics) is 20Mb

Lou Busch

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 04:07:23 pm »

I have deleted the mediafiles.jmd and/or cleared the library multiple times.  I HAVE found an anomoly.  I keep my mp3 files in this file directory structure..Music>CD A>A artists>the albums.  I have imported CD A, CD C thru CD K and my library is just 10mb,  My CD B directory adds 40mb to the mediafiles.jmd file.  Something is wrong in there.  I may have to strip all the tags and retag (I have an automated system to re-add most of the info from AMG).  That will take a while but I may have to bite the bullet.  I will add every directory but B, or until I get a fail to load.
Lou

nila

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2003, 01:46:24 am »

Hey :)
Whats your automated system to get the info from AMG?

That could be quite cool :)

michel

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2003, 01:52:07 am »

I suggested to KingSparta to add this feature to his Chart tool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2003, 06:45:09 am »

I suggested to KingSparta to add this feature to his Chart tool.

the problem is the way they store there info

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=11:42:23|AM&sql=By2jx7i4jg72r

gets C+C Music Factory

for someone to write something they would need a database to point to a web link.

so it is not going to happen.

=================================

if you wish to create a database in Excel with artist name and weblink then the bios could be included.

Let me know when you get done.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2003, 06:56:35 am »

If you can find the file that causes the database to swell, please send it to us.  It would be a great help in debugging.

matt @ jriver.com (no spaces)

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Lou Busch

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2003, 03:48:51 pm »

Matt,
Back in business. ;D
I stripped all the comment and note fields from the B directory, some 1200 files.  The mediafiles.jmd size went from 40mb to 3 mb.  I did a mass removal, so if it was just one file, it is lost.  My entire DB is about 24 mb now (14,000+).  I don't really understand what happened, as many other files have this information included.  I am going to cautiously replace the tags. If I can reproduce the problem, I'll send along the file.

Nila,
I wrote a program that reads my base music directory and parses out the artist names.  It DLs the artist HTML from AMG and extracts the artist info.  Along with bio, and labels ect there are album IDs. I parse these for each album I have, DL and then decode those HTMs.  Unfortunately I am NOT a programmer by profession and things don't always (often) work the way I intend.  I have YAP that reads the information generated by the AMG parser, and imports the info to the MP3 tag.  It follows  MC9 conventions, so MC can read the extended attributes.  I have added a "custom" tag for "charted", for instance. But I worry that a "bug" in my MP3 import routine may have bloated one (or many) of my file tags.  I will run the reimport routines inside the IDE and look for problems.  
Actually, it was KingSparts's nice Chart Tool that got me lookings at this.  I wanted to do the same thing, but outside of MC (well, I actually couldn't figure out how to do it as a plug in  :-/).  One thing lead to another, and pretty soon..gross tag bloat.  I'm thinking about trying to dynamically generate HTML files from my AMG information (to disaplay while playing), and maybe I could forget the tagging altogether.
Lou

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2003, 03:55:43 pm »

I wrote a program that reads my base music directory and parses out the artist names.  It DLs the artist HTML from AMG and extracts the artist info.  Along with bio, and labels ect there are album IDs.

1. what did you program it in

2. if i could figure out how they create the HTML i would add it to my plugin.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2003, 04:04:38 pm »

Maybe this is related..maybe it's not.

When i first jumped on the USS MC she was moored at dock 9.0.128. When I imported all my ogg's, mp3's, and image files a weird thing happened. MC added cover art to all the mp3's & wav's, but left the ogg's alone. Though the art was not imbedded into the file, the files (all of the affected ones...that is) had a tag reference to a file called punky.jpg (MC must have chosen this file at random). I've since stripped out the art with bld 135 (which performed fine on 1100 files...though I did it in chunks of 20 to 40 files at a time). Related? ?

10-27

edit: Thinking about it...probably not. Earlier builds of v8 used to fill the Genre tag with Blues

Lou Busch

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2003, 06:51:10 am »

1. what did you program it in

2. if i could figure out how they create the HTML i would add it to my plugin.

KingSparta,
I programmed it in Delphi.  
I look for specific, unique code in the AMG html file and use that to parse.  AMG recently changed their formatting, and broke my code.  I have since adapted, but it is TOTALLY reliant on the fact that their HTM format remains constant.  It doesn't always and I haven't worked out all the exceptions. For instance:
The album ID references usually appear between these tags <a name="disc0">...<a name="disc3">.  There are exceptions and I code around them.  If they change these tags, I have to recode, so when I don't get info I expect, I recheck the HTML source from AMG.  The good news is that , so far, the unique album IDs seemnot to be changing.  I end up with the (abbreviated) file below.  The album information file has a similar format.

[Scan]
2/4/2003
[Artist]
Bachman-Turner Overdrive
[Group Members]
Randy Bachman, Chad Allan, Robbie Bachman, Tim Bachman, Jim Clench, Blair Thornton, C.F. Turner
[Genre]
Rock
[Styles]
Album Rock, Boogie Rock, Arena Rock, Hard Rock
[Lables]
Mercury, Polygram International, MCA
[Tones]
Energetic, Fun, Rollicking, Rousing, Confident, Rowdy, Amiable/Good-Natured
[Picture]
src=http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/pic200_web/drp100/p108/p10855b8tyq.jpg
[Bio]
Following his 1970 departure from the Guess Who, guitarist Randy Bachman recorded a solo album (Axe) ...group's logo.  --  Jason Ankeny
[Albums]
Reflection (Aweadqjmbojsa)
Bachman-Turner Overdrive [1973] (A6tklu3e5an4k)
Bachman-Turner Overdrive II (Aemfjzf0heh2k)
Not Fragile (Ajtkpu3e5an4k)
As Brave Belt (Ajem1z87ajyv8)....
The Very Best of B.T.O. (Aogjyeaw04xk7)

Lou

zevele10

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2003, 10:05:02 am »

Thinking about it...probably not. Earlier builds of v8 used to fill the Genre tag with Blues

Blues == no genre filed.
This is -or was - the case with quite  lot of Emusic albums an with all the mp3.com songs

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2003, 10:38:35 am »

>> Blues == no genre filed
well really it means Asc(0)

Blues Is A Genre, it just so happens they set the genre to Asc(0) and that is Blues
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up