INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld sync and M4A  (Read 1289 times)

ncjay

• Recent member
Handheld sync and M4A
« on: September 28, 2021, 10:14:36 am »

Reposting this separate thread here as a possible bug.  The more I think about it, this has to be an issue that can be resolved - either with advice from the development team (which I would certainly welcome, thanks) or as an issue to be opened and addressed in a subsequent MC version.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Handheld sync and m4a files - "File not supported"

I bought my first Android handheld this week - the Vastking M10.  It's nice and wasn't too expensive.

I "became a developer" (required by Android 11 for USB transfer), set up its USB port for file transfer, the unit showed up in Explorer (Windows 10) and in MC 28.0.66, and have used the MC to sync some songs to it.  And it works, to a certain extent. 

My music tracks are a mix of .mp3 and .m4a files.  When I choose Options->Conversion->Audio->Mode as "Original", the Status for all the .m4a files changes to "File not supported", and if I go ahead and sync with those options, I get the popup "Confirm Action" dialog that says those files cannot be transferred due to "...unsupported file types".

Fair enough, I suppose, although these same .m4a tracks play just fine in MC28 itself, and if I click on one of them in File Explorer Groove Music will launch and play the track, and if I manually copy an .m4a file to the handheld, it plays fine there too.  So it's unclear to me at which point the file format is "unsupported".

If I choose the Conversion option to "Specified output format only when necessary", and specify MP3 as the encoder, the Status for those tracks changes to "In Queue" (good) and when I sync, the conversion is performed (also good), but on the handheld the cover art for those tracks has disappeared (very, very bad).  This happens no matter which option I choose under "Cover Art" - it seems that "No Change" would retain the existing cover art, right?  But that doesn't work for me.

I haven't tested all the other encoder types, but my questions here are (a) am I doing something wrong, and (b) why do I have to do any conversion on a file type that appears to be supported, but MC flags as unsupported?  If I could sync both .mp3 and .m4a files to the handheld, I'd likely not lose any cover art.  But I haven't found a way to do it.

Thanks
ncjay

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Handheld sync and M4A
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 10:18:30 am »

Try setting the "Supported types" for your handheld.  You can even enter *.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ncjay

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 06:52:28 pm »

This worked.  THANK YOU.  I figured it was something I was overlooking.

thanks
ncjay

ncjay

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 06:27:52 pm »

Reviving this thread since one issue I mentioned in the original post was not addressed, and I'm still having the same problem (the issue is also present in MC29).  That is, unless I'm doing something wrong here.

I'm syncing to a desktop folder.  My "Supported Types" are mp3 and m4a.  I have my Conversion Audio Mode set to "Specified output format only when necessary", and the Conversion Cover Art set to "Add to Tags".  The conversion happens when a flac format song is encountered, but the song artwork is missing from the converted file. 

But it *is* showing in the thumbnail in the sync folder when viewed in MC28/9.  It's only missing in the converted file as viewed in an outboard program, and also when I sync the converted file to my actual handheld device (also outboard).

This happens whether I select "No Change" or "Add to Tags" in the Conversion Cover Art setting.

I'm also seeing this same thing on the Mac version of MC29.

I've run out of obvious things to try.  What am I missing?

thanks
ncjay

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 10:36:32 am »

Have you tried disabling the conversion cache?

ncjay

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 07:28:21 pm »

I just tried that now - set the Audio Conversion Cache to "None (do not create cache)".  Cover Art is set to "Add to Tags". 

I tried syncing a playlist of flac files that I had not previously tried to convert, and wound up with the same effect - the artwork thumbnails show in the resulting synced list, but they're not embedded in the converted file when I view them in Explorer or on the physical device.

thanks
ncjay 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 05:24:08 pm »

I just tried that now - set the Audio Conversion Cache to "None (do not create cache)".  Cover Art is set to "Add to Tags". 

I tried syncing a playlist of flac files that I had not previously tried to convert, and wound up with the same effect - the artwork thumbnails show in the resulting synced list, but they're not embedded in the converted file when I view them in Explorer or on the physical device.

thanks
ncjay
What file type are you converting TO?

ncjay

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 02:08:59 pm »

mp3.

thanks
ncjay
Pages: [1]   Go Up