INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing radio stations using JRiver MC28: It downloads .aac files, won't stream.  (Read 784 times)

arizonajoe

• Recent member

I like to secure the actual URL of radio streams that I occasionally listen to while I work.  I despise IHEART Radio and the ads, so it's great when I can "snoop" the URL, and play it directly through a browser.  One such station based in Washington DC is WMAL-FM.  It's direct stream, hidden from us and then split up in 10-second different URL chunks by IHEART, is

https://16933.live.streamtheworld.com/WMALFMAAC.aac

I was careful to insure that the proper aac codec is installed, yet JRiver MC28 DOWNLOADS the stream in a continually enlarging file rather than streaming it like the other links provided (BBC World Service and others under "Streaming.").  Is there a way within JRiver to pipe the stream properly to my soundcard rather than downloading it silently to some temp file?  The .AAC codec allows this stream to play well on VLC and all browsers, so I'd expect JRiver to make quick work of it.  But sadly, it will not.  Any ideas or critiques would be appreciated.

(Using Wireguard, I discovered that IHeart and TuneIN, in an effort to force you to listen to their ads, every 10-seconds, throws you from one URL to another, each plays for 10-seconds until you are seamlessly thrown to the next 10-second URL etc., etc. so that only it's ad-wracked players can knit the 10 second segments back together in real time + a few seconds. If you try to snoop the IP address of the server stream, you only get 10 second chunks.  Really sneaky.)

ASUS Z270 MB with Intel I7 @ 4000MHz, 32MB GSKILL TRIDENT Z 4000 MHz DDR-4 running Archlinux KDE PlasmaDesktop * Kitsune  KTE SU-1 DDR via I2S HDMI cable * HoloAudio Spring DAC LEVEL 3 * Woo WA22MkII Headphone Amp * Sennheiser HD800s  * Dalhquist DQ10 Loudspeakers * DQ-1W Subwoofer * DQ-LP1 Crossover * ADCOM GFA555MkII * Logitech Touch

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

It won't switch download segments until you get to about 340MB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up