INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple load/restarts ...  (Read 688 times)

sumitc

• Recent member
Multiple load/restarts ...
« on: October 05, 2021, 01:18:04 pm »

Often times when I play a new movie, it will start playing, but after a few seconds reload and restart.  I had reported this issue sometime back and someone had suggested that this might be related to the NAS spinning down the disks.  I changed the settings on my NAS to no spin down the disks, but I don't think this is the cause.  If it were, it should happen perhaps for the 1st video and then stop.  What I see, however, is that I can play a movie w/o issue, but then a subsequent  movie will display this issue.

This happens often enough that it is something that I would like to resolve.  Any thoughts/suggestions on things to try?

sumitc

• Recent member
Re: Multiple load/restarts ...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 01:31:52 pm »

BTW, I also had the issue with MC 27, so not something new to MC 28.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 01:38:54 pm »

Try a movie from your local drive.

sumitc

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 04:16:57 pm »

I will try playing back from the local disk.  Previously though, I see stuttering if the HTPC is bogged down or the network is congested.  Not sure why playing a movie would start playback and then repeatedly restart.  Is there a log file that I view (or enable logging) to see if there is an error or warning message pointing to the source of the problem?

Also, really looking forward to JRVR.  I will most likely switch from MadVR.

Thx,
Sumit.

sumitc

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 04:20:39 pm »

And in case this helps ... I have a QNAP TS451+ NAS.

sumitc

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 11:41:36 pm »

Per your suggestion, I coped an ISO to my local drive and tried multiple start/stops on the movie that I copied.  I do see times where the playback hiccups.  When this happens, it again is within the 1st few seconds of playback, the playback stutters and then pauses.  I do see a dialog pop-up and disappear ... this happens quickly, but I think it is AnyDVD being issued another reload.  After this happens, MC28 crashes.

I have not seen the crash before when playing back from the NAS.  Maybe the timing is different, but in any case, I do see an issue playing back the ISO from my local disk (SSD).

sumitc

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 04:15:55 pm »

^^^ Ping!  Would appreciate any suggestions on what could be going on here.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 04:43:58 pm »

Does it ever happen with Red October Standard?
If not then possibly it is an issue with madVR filling it's queues.

Try looking at some of the rendering settings, is 'delay playback start until render queue is full' checked?
Try reducing the size of the CPU and GPU queues
In the windowed mode settings try reducing the 'how many video frames shall be presented in advance'

Are you using luma and chroma settings in madVR that cause very high GPU utilization? If so try 'dialing them back' by using less hungry scaling algos (especially chroma where the least benefit is gained).

To view a log, Help>Logging> check Enable logging, Play a video then uncheck Enable logging and View Current log.

EDIT: have you tried checking your NAS? NAS Performance Tester can be a useful tool for this.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

sumitc

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 10:59:23 am »

Did not occur that MadVR settings might be at play here!  The repeated restart issue has not surfaced since I changes some of the settings that you suggested changing.  I have not see MC28 crash either.  I will test some more over the weekend.  Thx a lot!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2021, 02:46:59 pm »

Thanks for the report.
Pages: [1]   Go Up