INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC24 and Surface Headphones  (Read 1842 times)

loper

• Recent member
MC24 and Surface Headphones
« on: October 28, 2021, 11:10:40 am »

Long time MC user, but never with headphones.  I recently added a USB xmitter to my main MC system and connected my Microsoft Surface headphones so I can watch content without disturbing my wife.  I can stream YouTubeTV and other browser content just fine.  I can play my ripped content using VLC just fine.  But I cannot get any sound from headphones using MC as the playback.  Yesterday, I spent 2 hours meticulously logging changes to settings in an attempt to get playback and the best I could achieve was "static" using a DirectSound setting.

Happy to post whatever info asked for to help troubleshoot.

TIA!

-loper

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC24 and Surface Headphones
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 03:29:39 pm »

In MC's Audio options, you may need to choose a different audio device.  The wiki has a topic on Audio Setup.

loper

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 03:49:31 pm »

I am quite familiar with both Windows and JRiver options.  I have tried everything I can think of that makes sense as well as a number of things that don't.  The only time I can get any sound from JRiver through my headphones at all is when I set the JRiver Audio Device to "Headphones (Surface Headphones Stereo) [Direct Sound]". Unfortunately, all I get is steady static with that setting.

Please note - I created grid for testing and shut down MC between every setting change. I have literally tried every combination of Audio Device and DSP & output format there is. Most of the settings simply cause MC to report "Waiting" when opening a file. Nothing else works at all.

However, I am having a hard time believing that JRiver can't send audio via Bluetooth to Surface headphones. I must be missing something, but I am at a loss.

-loper

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 04:05:32 pm »

The only time I can get any sound from JRiver through my headphones at all is when I set the JRiver Audio Device to "Headphones (Surface Headphones Stereo) [Direct Sound]". Unfortunately, all I get is steady static with that setting.
That may be the right choice but you're playing something it can't handle.  DSD, for example.

In MC's DSP Studio use Output Format to try something else.  44.1 Khz / 16 bit  or 48 Khz, 16 bit.

The manufacturer should give you guidance. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up