INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating Custom Fields  (Read 2702 times)

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
Creating Custom Fields
« on: October 30, 2021, 01:17:46 pm »

Hello, I am interested in creating a Field called "Writer" (to of course, display my mp3 files tagged with "writer"). I want it to display in Theater View. The Wiki tells me to add a new field in the "Library & Folders" (which i have done). Problem is when i add it to "customize file info panel" under Theater View, it does not display. I'm sure i am missing something, does anyone have a suggestion as to what i am doing wrong?

thanks T

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Creating Custom Fields
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 03:39:07 pm »

How about,
can anyone point me in the right direction? How to (i'm guessing here) format the field so that jriver sees my tag?

thanks tom

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 03:50:06 pm »

The wiki has a topic on tagging.  Start there.

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 03:09:09 pm »

Thanks Jim,
As stated that's were i started https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Fields , but unfortunately i can not see what i am doing wrong. My files are all tagged correctly,  i have created a field called "Writer" (same as my tags), but jriver refuses to see it. I can see no diffrence from other tags that i have that work fine "Composer, etc".

-t

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 05:04:08 pm »

You may need to add it to your view.  Right click on the header.

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 07:17:19 pm »

I poked around some, but i don't understand what you are suggesting. Sorry about that -t

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 12:19:00 am »

If the [Writer] field has info in the file tags that you want MC to import, try right click on a single file you know for sure has the data, "Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)"

Does this populate your new field?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 06:43:39 am »

Maybe you can send a screenshot of where you expect this field to show up?

It should show up automatically on the Tag Editor panel. For Views, you need to add the field to each of the Views you want to see it in. You can usually do that by right-clicking on the header/title of one of the existing fields (on the view), which then shows a list of all fields that can be added there.

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 12:34:48 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions i will try them as soon as i can. In the mean time...

To clarify, i've added the field in "library & Folders" then in "theater view" > "customize file info panel..." i added the field (under audio). Here's a screenshot of where i want it to show up/display....

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 01:06:47 pm »

In the info panel options for your field, pay close attention to the settings for "Show", and beneath that, the "Hide when empty" option...

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 01:14:59 pm »

If the [Writer] field has info in the file tags that you want MC to import, try right click on a single file you know for sure has the data, "Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)"

Does this populate your new field?

This worked! Thank you. However it only worked for the individual file right clicked. Hopefully i don't have to do this for every file! Anyway we're on the right track. Is there a way to get all my files seen/updated automatically? I'm a bit confused as to why i have to do this to this one tag when all my other tags showed up automatically.

thanks again!

PS - Hide when empty is exactly what i want. Some of my files are tagged with 'composer' and others with 'writer' and they are used interchangeably. I have it set to "always show" currently.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 12:21:15 am »

You could select all of your files, and follow the same steps, and they would all update. However...

This would make me nervous. If there is any mismatch of tag data between your files and your library, and the library data is correct, this action would overwrite the data in library. That, plus, it just feels a bit of an unwieldy way to get the data for one tag imported.

So, try one more...

Have a list of all audio in view.
Open the Tag pane (with "Writer" tag visible) on the left.

Select one file in the list that you know has "Writer" data.
In the tag pane, click the Writer tag to open it for editing and enter all of this:
Code: [Select]
=tag(Writer)Press "enter"

Does the tag now show the expected "Writer" data for that file?
If Yes, you can now select all audio files in the list at once.
In the tag window, your Writer tag will likely show "[Varies]" as there are now at least two files there with data.
Once again, with all files selected, click the Writer tag to open it for editing and paste the code above in there, replacing the text "[Varies]".
Press enter to apply the change.

MC will now go through all files, one at a time, checking for "Writer" data and importing any found. Depending how many files you have, and the speed of your storage choice, this may take a wee while. Once done though, you should be good to go.

-marko

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 12:48:04 pm »

Thanks Marko,
before i try anything crazy....
I have over 19,000 albums in my collection (so want to be sure if i do anything wholesale!). In addition, i never let JRiver change any tags at all. All my data and tagging is done prior to JRiver ever seeing it. So all i really need JRiver to do is read my tags and display them (in theater view). With this in mind, what might you suggest?

In other words, i have no problem with jriver scanning my files to read my tags as long as it does not make any changes. The thought also comes to me that i want this to be automatic, as in, when i make changes to my files i want jriver to read them and display them as per my settings. Would rather not have to run a manual scan each and every time i make a change (which i often do). My work flow is to make changes to my collection on a separate computer (using a portable hard drive). Then i move the drive back to my JRiver PC. JRiver then automatically reads the changes and i'm good to go. Still curious as to why it does this with no issues with all my other tags other than the new tag i just added.

As i have never tagged with JRiver, this is all new to me. I'm guessing you mean, choose Track, right click on 'tag'. In the window that appears i see nowhere to enter code.

thanks T

PS - i am thinking up upgrading, do all my setting stay the same after an upgrade?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 02:11:34 pm »

Thanks Marko,
You're welcome. Feels like we're gaining traction for you now we've properly identified your target goals.

before i try anything crazy....
I have over 19,000 albums in my collection (so want to be sure if i do anything wholesale!). In addition, i never let JRiver change any tags at all. All my data and tagging is done prior to JRiver ever seeing it. So all i really need JRiver to do is read my tags and display them (in theater view). With this in mind, what might you suggest?
Suggestion/Explanation further down... :)

In other words, i have no problem with jriver scanning my files to read my tags as long as it does not make any changes. The thought also comes to me that i want this to be automatic, as in, when i make changes to my files i want jriver to read them and display them as per my settings. Would rather not have to run a manual scan each and every time i make a change (which i often do). My work flow is to make changes to my collection on a separate computer (using a portable hard drive). Then i move the drive back to my JRiver PC. JRiver then automatically reads the changes and i'm good to go. Still curious as to why it does this with no issues with all my other tags other than the new tag i just added.
Once you force the issue with this initial scan using the "Tag" code I posted above, or by using "Library Tools>Update Library (From Tags)" it will be fully automatic from then onwards. Why?

When you first import your files into MC, it scans, and introduces all tag data it recognises in the files. When you did this, your Writer tag did not exist, so the data was ignored. When you use "Update Library (From Tags)" it basically, re-imports the file, updating any fields that match in the library, but mis-match with data, file tags win, and library is updated accordingly.

The default MC behaviour is to "Update tags when file info changes". This means, as you have noted already, that if you change the file tags externally, next time MC sees that file during it's 'auto-import' routine, it will bring in those changes.

You need to force this issue, just once, to get your new Writer tag in the library in sync with file tags. Once done, MC will just take care of it for you moving forwards.

As i have never tagged with JRiver, this is all new to me. I'm guessing you mean, choose Track, right click on 'tag'. In the window that appears i see nowhere to enter code.
From your posts above, it seems apparent to me that you are meticulous with your tagging, and, as you do not tag using MC, there's little to no chance of the library data being ahead of the file tags. I would advise the following:

• For absolute peace of mind, make a library backup. "File>Library>Backup Library"
  • Select all audio.
  • Right click > Library Tools > Update Library (From Tags)
  • This could take a while, especially as files reside on an external drive, so bear this in mind before kicking the job off.

To be honest, at 19k albums, I would be inclined to break the job up into sessions, perhaps alphabetically, or whatever works for you. If you ever lose track of where you got up to between sessions, entering [Writer]=[] into the search bar in the top right corner will exclude all files that have Writer data in the library.
You will know what might work best for you.

If things go horribly pear-shaped, you can restore your library backup.

PS - i am thinking up upgrading, do all my setting stay the same after an upgrade?
Yes. The only setting change that's forced with MC28 is the "Web Engine" setting, with the new default being set to use Edge. Everything else will be as-is. The upgrade process is really smooth now, practically seamless.

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 02:58:01 pm »

Thank You Marko!

I appreciate your thoroughness and patience with my ignorance! Excellent answers all. I will give it a try and report back to wrap this up.

Thanks once again!

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 12:53:38 pm »

Marko, for the record, worked like a charm. 270,730 files, 5hrs 18mins. USB 3.0 external 4TB Seagate HDD.

-Tom

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2021, 12:10:54 am »

Brilliant news Tom, thanks for letting us know. A pleasure working with you.

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up