INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC26 Playback Blanks On New System  (Read 1667 times)

nathanCFD

• Recent member
MC26 Playback Blanks On New System
« on: October 31, 2021, 04:37:45 pm »

Hello, I'm working on a new system and I've run into an issue:

Video playback via MC26 blanks frequently, sometimes with a popping sound. BUT, this only occurs when running through my AVR and on to the projector. Works fine on a regular monitor. Video playback via VLC works just fine - no blanking or cracking through the AVR/Projector.  When the screen blanks, I get the HDMI Source Unavailable message from the projector, so - it's literally not sending anything out.  Again, this only happens when video is played in MC26 - regular PC use and playback via any other method is flawless.

I've had an older HTPC running MC26 setup on this AVR/Projector for about 2 years with no issues. So, it's not an AVR/Projector issue - it has to be something with the video card or with the way I have MC setup.

Since it works fine straight to monitor, I don't think it's the video card.

Has anyone had an issue like this? Where only playback via MC is effected?

I'm posting the specs of the OLD system that's working fine and the new system; if anyone has any suggestions, let me know - I'm stumped.

OLD SYSTEM

Processor: i7-4770S 3.10GHz
RAM: 16GB
Video Card: GeForce GTX 950
Video Mode: Red October HQ

NEW SYSTEM
Processor: i7-9700F 3.0GHz
RAM: 32GB
Video Card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Video Mode: TBD

AVR
Denon AVR-S750H

PROJECTOR
Epson Home Cinema 5050UBe

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC26 Playback Blanks On New System
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 06:19:52 pm »

Test with RO Standard. 

Newer systems may run into HDCP problems.  Test with something simple, like a home movie, to see if any video works.

Do a little research on versons of HDMI cables.

Please describe what video you're testing with.

nathanCFD

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 07:40:04 pm »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for responding!

I've tested with RO Standard, yes.  Tried with and without hardware acceleration, with and without bit streaming, etc.  Tried multiple configurations.

Tested with a new hi-speed 4K HDMI cable - and, I tested with an older one (the one that's attached to the old system).

I'm testing with some ST:TNG blu-ray rips I did years ago.  I've also tested with other files with different audio tacks (AC3, DTS, etc)

It actually breaks up with just the MC Theatre View screen up - so, even before you try to play a file.  Totally weird. 

I ran it for 12 hours on a regular ACER Monitor and it's fine.  But, if I run it through the home theatre, it starts breaking up within 1 minute.  If I use the exact same cable and hardware on the older machine, everything is fine through the home theatre.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 10:09:56 pm »

And what happened when you tested?

Is it a problem with all video?

Is it only with Theater View?

nathanCFD

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 07:14:44 am »

All tests experienced playback issues - the video display will start blanking and ultimately go totally black within 90 seconds; the audio is not disrupted.  There is always a pop sound somewhere in there too.  The problem occurs with all video played through MC26.  The problem DOES NOT occur when the same video is played via VLC or the built-in windows player.  It also doesn't occur when connected to a traditional monitor.

This morning - I tried running video straight to the projector; same results.

What I meant by Theatre View in my last reply: This also happens when video is not playing - just the Theatre View Screen alone will cause it to start blanking.

Everything points to a video card issue: But, it does not make sense that everything works fine unless I'm using MC.  Unless something about MC is accessing "something" that nothing else does.

To rule out Projector issue or AVR issue: I have two HTPCs side-by-side, the old one's been running fine for 2 years; so, that's the one I watch daily.  I know the AVR and Projector are okay because the old system is just fine - it's also running MC26

I have a new Radeon card here and I may swap them to see what happens.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 07:39:29 am »

Did you investigate HDCP?  Newer cable doesn't mean compliant.  They have a rating and everything in the chain has to comply.

Video driver?  MC's Theater View uses 3D drawing.

Driver bugs can be triggered by one set of circumstances (program) and not another.

It's an odd problem and I don't know the answer.  I'm just suggesting what to investigate.

nathanCFD

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 07:56:14 pm »

I installed a XFX Radeon RX570 RS...maybe a bit of over-kill for a HTPC.

It works fine.  I tested four files, different types; watched the first 10 minutes of each with no trouble.

It's bizarre to me that the 1050ti failed only when the file was played via MC.  I'm going to put that card into another pc and put MC on it and continue to mess with it.  I had a failed driver install and did a "clean" reinstall when I first built that system.  Maybe something related to that didn't work itself out.

Anyhow, I'll post any info I learn from that in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up