INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to setup MC 28 as controller and NAS as server  (Read 828 times)

gchopra

• Recent member
How to setup MC 28 as controller and NAS as server
« on: November 27, 2021, 01:59:22 am »

I am absolutely new to NAS i.e. would be using it to store my music files. I intend to buy a Synology / Western digital NAS with 4 TB storage. I wish to configure my stem as follows :
MC 28 on my laptop which acts as controller through wifi
My music files stored on a NAS
My Pro-ject streambox ultra S2 is the streamer
The streamer connected to the DAC via USB
The NAS, my wifi router and Streamer connected to a switch through ethernet cable
I need advise on how to set up MC as the controller to instruct the NAS to transfer the selected music file to the streamer.

gchopra

• Recent member
Re: How to setup MC 28 as controller and NAS as server
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 10:25:08 am »

Request someone to help me with some basic questions of my previous message

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 12:06:10 pm »

Assuming the Project box is a DLNA renderer then it will appear in the Playing Now tree in JRiver on your laptop.
You could then map drives on your laptop to your music collection on the NAS and create a JRiver media centre library on the lap top to play the music.
Or you could install a Docker Image of JRiver on the NAS and create your library there, then connect to it from your laptop, or any other device that you might want to use to play music, e.g. your phone.
Or you could install a 3rd party DLNA server on the NAS and connect to it from JRiver Media Centre on the laptop.

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 12:31:44 pm »

Richard Martin has good ideas so I can only reiterate and maybe expand.

Setup your NAS and then map it in Windows. This allows you to treat it as a local drive. You will find much better explanations through a google search than I can provide on how to map a drive. If you are already using MC and have a library on a different drive then it will make things easier if you assign the same drive letter to the NAS when mapping. Example: If your music is currently on H: then remove that drive and map the NAS drive as H:.

Because you have questions about how to setup a NAS I think you should avoid trying to use Docker.

You don't mention if the MC library will be on the laptop or another computer. Either will work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up