INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from external drive to NAS  (Read 1863 times)

barryo

• Recent member
Moving from external drive to NAS
« on: December 12, 2021, 01:02:17 am »

I want to move my Media Center (files and library) from an external drive to a NAS, and access it as is (same Audio, Playlists, Cover Art, etc.).  Please help me find the relevant instructions. 

I hope I can accomplish this with a simple change to the location of the library that was on the external drive, but I can't see how.  (I have successfully and done this simply with my iTunes library.)

I have:  M1 Mac mini; Synology DS920+ NAS.

I have copied all files from WD external drive to the NAS, preserving the folder structure.  I have used Connect to Server to connect to the NAS from the Mac mini. (As I did to successfully move the iTunes library.)

When I restore the MC Library Backup from the copy on the NAS, it (of course) still has the external drive as the start of the paths for all files.  I can't see how to proceed. 

Would very much appreciate help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Moving from external drive to NAS
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 07:53:19 am »

Please read the wiki topic called Moving Files.

HaWi

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 10:59:11 am »

I want to move my Media Center (files and library) from an external drive to a NAS, and access it as is (same Audio, Playlists, Cover Art, etc.).  Please help me find the relevant instructions. 

I hope I can accomplish this with a simple change to the location of the library that was on the external drive, but I can't see how.  (I have successfully and done this simply with my iTunes library.)

I have:  M1 Mac mini; Synology DS920+ NAS.

I have copied all files from WD external drive to the NAS, preserving the folder structure.  I have used Connect to Server to connect to the NAS from the Mac mini. (As I did to successfully move the iTunes library.)

When I restore the MC Library Backup from the copy on the NAS, it (of course) still has the external drive as the start of the paths for all files.  I can't see how to proceed. 

Would very much appreciate help.

I would recommend to "manually" copy/move your files to the NAS using Finder. That way you know the structure and where it goes. Then use [Rename, Move, & Copy Files...] / [F6] to just point the library to the new location. Make sure you understand how this works before you execute. Maybe try with a small subset first.
I have done this many times and when done right, it is quick and efficient.
You could also start with [Rename, Move, & Copy Files...] after selecting every track and let MC move the files but I find this a bit scarier because I don't trust my knowledge of MC enough.
Good luck
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 03:54:07 pm »

It sounds like you are about 90% done already.  This is good.  :)

Your NAS should show up as a path under /Volumes.  If your share on your NAS is called "Music", then you should see /Volumes/Music/ and under that should be all the shared files on your NAS.  To verify this you can use the Terminal and cd into /Volumes and have a look.  Or more likely you will use Finder.  In Finder use the Go menu and use "Go to folder".  Type /Volumes and you'll see if it's mounted there or not.  It should be.

Once you have found the proper path, then you need to tell MC that you have moved your files there.  This is done with the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool.  RM&C is very powerful and can look a little intimidating.  Take a few minutes, do some experiments, and you'll become comfortable with it fairly quickly I think.

The mode you want to use is "update database only".  In this mode the operations you do only update MC's internal database.  They don't move or copy any files.  Just change the locations where MC thinks each file is.  A vague outline of this is:

0.  Make an MC database backup.
1.  Select some files (maybe an album or two)
2.  Open RM&C with Tools > Library Tools > Rename, MOve, and Copy files
A.  Mode:  Update database
B.  Directories:  uncheck
C.  Files:  uncheck
D.  Find & Replace:  Checked
  Find what:  /Volumes/OldExternalHD/Music
  Replace with:  /Volumes/NASMUSICFOLDER/

You'll need to choose the Find and Replace carefully and use the paths on your system for your old external drive and where the NAS music files are mounted in /Volumes.

Notice that the RM&C window shows a preview of what it's going to do before it does it.  Adjust your Find and Replace parameters until you get what you want.  Then try it on your test group of files.  If it works, GREAT!  You can do the rest.  If not, restore your backup and try again.

Good luck!

Brian.

barryo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 01:09:04 am »

My MC is now pretty much set up on my NAS, thanks to the great advice from Brian (blgentry), HaWi, and JimH.  The small number of audio albums that didn't connect properly had incorrect paths recorded on my saved library, which would have been updated beforehand had I followed the additional directions given by RoderickGI (linked in the Moving Files wiki topic referenced by JimH).

So thanks very much indeed to all these thoughtful community members.

I know MC caters to a sophisticated IT community, but I still do wonder if this kind of issue suggests that it'd be in MC's interests to provide the kind of seamless GUI aids (a la iTunes) that would allow low-level users like me to keep using MC in our ignorant way (but nonetheless attracted by its much more powerful and flexible features) ...?

Cheers

Barry.

HaWi

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 09:59:26 am »

Barry, I, too, used to crave for an AI-like interface that would allow me to do everything the easiest way because I am also a low lever user with no IT background. However, I believe that everything can be learned if the desire is big enough; so with the help of many very knowledgable people here on the forum I was able to acquire some basic skills. I have to also admit that even though I'm old I do like to learn knew things.
In a world with limited resources, as most small companies find themselves in, prioritizing is a survival skill, and I have decided for myself that I prefer functionality over ease of use, at least in this case.
I am happy you got it to work.
Hans
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 02:41:34 pm »

Congrats to Barry!

Brian.

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 10:08:49 pm »

It sounds like you are about 90% done already.  This is good.  :)

Your NAS should show up as a path under /Volumes.  If your share on your NAS is called "Music", then you should see /Volumes/Music/ and under that should be all the shared files on your NAS.  To verify this you can use the Terminal and cd into /Volumes and have a look.  Or more likely you will use Finder.  In Finder use the Go menu and use "Go to folder".  Type /Volumes and you'll see if it's mounted there or not.  It should be.

Once you have found the proper path, then you need to tell MC that you have moved your files there.  This is done with the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool.  RM&C is very powerful and can look a little intimidating.  Take a few minutes, do some experiments, and you'll become comfortable with it fairly quickly I think.

The mode you want to use is "update database only".  In this mode the operations you do only update MC's internal database.  They don't move or copy any files.  Just change the locations where MC thinks each file is.  A vague outline of this is:

0.  Make an MC database backup.
1.  Select some files (maybe an album or two)
2.  Open RM&C with Tools > Library Tools > Rename, MOve, and Copy files
A.  Mode:  Update database
B.  Directories:  uncheck
C.  Files:  uncheck
D.  Find & Replace:  Checked
  Find what:  /Volumes/OldExternalHD/Music
  Replace with:  /Volumes/NASMUSICFOLDER/

You'll need to choose the Find and Replace carefully and use the paths on your system for your old external drive and where the NAS music files are mounted in /Volumes.

Notice that the RM&C window shows a preview of what it's going to do before it does it.  Adjust your Find and Replace parameters until you get what you want.  Then try it on your test group of files.  If it works, GREAT!  You can do the rest.  If not, restore your backup and try again.

Good luck!

Brian.

I've tried this method moving from a two-bay NAS to a five-bay NAS and having no luck.  Did everything as prescribed, using a small test group, pointing to a new directory, et al.  It still won't play music like I was used to doing so easily.  Read both wikis, to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

edit:
I know it's me  :(

Running iMac and MC builds, Synology - latest builds, etc, et al

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 12:23:00 am »

Make sure that case matches exactly in the directory names.

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 01:07:37 am »

So, I should rename my new NAS as the "old" NAS?  Happy to do so, just asking

Also using a PSAudio PWD...which is great, but finicky

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 01:17:27 am »

Sorry, misread that

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2024, 11:32:50 pm »

I renamed it with "2" extension.  Still unable to access new NAS music.

Edit:

I'm fine with, and have the time, to delete all of my libraries and start over from scratch - is there a wiki to do that?  So far I have two copies and backups of data, so I'm not worried about losing my files.

Jeff

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 10:37:47 pm »

I figured it out!  It was a faulty switch causing DLNA demons and other things.  Life is good with music!!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2024, 12:27:37 am »

I figured it out!  It was a faulty switch causing DLNA demons and other things.  Life is good with music!!
Thanks for reporting the solution.

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2024, 07:55:30 pm »

Sorry to beat a dead thread, but once I got my old NAS working I'm trying to replace to a newer NAS.  Do I need the same name for the new NAS?

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2024, 09:43:41 pm »

Did you mean the name of the library?  All of the files in the folder are exactly as copied.  I'm getting permission exceptions.  Also, I need DLNA b/c I'm using PS Audio PWD which requires DLNA
Pages: [1]   Go Up