INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If music stops for <n> minutes, switch off amp? [solved]  (Read 1584 times)

elsalvador99

• Recent member
If music stops for <n> minutes, switch off amp? [solved]
« on: December 31, 2021, 12:23:17 am »

Hi Guys,

Loving MC27, it is my primary music platform, handles multi-channel music through HDMI very nicely.

However, I keep noticing that the music stopped, I got distracted by a shiny thing & I didn't switch off the amp, so it's burning power needlessly...I probably notice in the next day or two...
Tech being what it is, I could easily switch it off by at least 4 methods (and probably by hitting that button thing on the front panel too!).
It's powering on beautifully using perl scripting when the host powers on...

Sadly, I can't seem to find any answers to "get MC27 to monitor and if it's silent for <n> minutes, then switch off the amp"

It's running on a windows 8 or win 10 machine, so there should be some capabilities but none have I found.
The sound is being sent over the HDMI, if that makes a difference, so there's no windows control over volume.

Any suggestions very welcome.
If not, then I'll just have to use some form of clever memory trick to remember I turned it on & not to just leave it running!

TIA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: If music stops for <n> minutes, switch off amp?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 08:15:57 am »

The receiver itself may be able to power off.

elsalvador99

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 09:41:38 am »

Excellent thought, but sadly it's an early Yamaha, so sounds great & has some networking abilities, but not much NO automation intelligence.
That would be the easiest place for it to be, it would work regardless of the inputs etc...

So, yes, but no.
;-)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 01:54:39 pm »

Here's a thread on a similar subject.  We did some work in this area, but I've forgotten the specifics of what can be done.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=110931.0

elsalvador99

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 08:52:33 pm »

Excellent thread, very interesting.

Most interesting to see how things have progressed (or not in the CEC case!)

I love reading stuff like that because it sparks ideas I wouldn't have come up with otherwise - thanks!

So the fleeting thought was - maybe I can monitor the usage of the CPU, when it's playing, it runs at 13-20%, and when not playing any music, it's idling below 11% reliably...I will look into this further!

Thanks again
Happy New Year.

elsalvador99

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 09:30:52 pm »

Ha!

After many dead-ends, I finally fell over the right answer !

Windows Task Scheduler.
This has had its issues over the years, one day it works, you start to rely on it & then a windows update breaks it.
No more updates on win 8.1 so hopefully that won't happen any more, but you never know...
Also - it won'talways work with a batch file or other external programs...yes it's not ideal...

One of the triggers for an event is "idle for <n> <sec/min/etc>"
(not just run at "boot", or hh:mm)

So I just tested it & two bits of good news:
1. It worked with the perl script I use to send http to/from the amp, no messing or fudging required (that's a first!)
2. The "idle for 10 mins" triggered after 10 mins of not playing music

I just tried two songs of more than 10 mins each (yes, prog rock how did you guess?) and it hasn't triggered yet.
Not too bad from the company that brought us "edlin".

Please so far, could not have got there without making these notes & getting the nudges.
;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up