INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stack Icon in Detail View too muddled  (Read 2233 times)

vbphil

• World Citizen
Stack Icon in Detail View too muddled
« on: December 31, 2021, 10:16:17 am »

Is there a way to change the 2 icons used for Stacks when in Detail view?
I find it too hard with my 69 year old eyes to distinguish between the top of stack and stack members.

Here's what I see. The top row is the Top Of Stack entry. I'd like to see something that really jumps out at you to tell the difference without having to squint.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Stack Icon in Detail View too muddled
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 09:42:01 am »

Are you artistically inclined so you could edit SmallIcons.png and provide something you like better?  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 11:23:29 am »

Are you artistically inclined so you could edit SmallIcons.png and provide something you like better?  Thanks.
Yes I can come up with something. I thought I might be able to just replace the image files that MC is using without causing any harm. Do you know where they are stored?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 11:28:36 am »

Yes I can come up with something. I thought I might be able to just replace the image files that MC is using without causing any harm. Do you know where they are stored?

The image you want to edit is in:
[MC]\Data\Default Art\SmallIcons.png

You could email your work to matt at jriver dot com if you think it would be good for everyone.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 11:33:54 am »

The image you want to edit is in:
[MC]\Data\Default Art\SmallIcons.png

You could email your work to matt at jriver dot com if you think it would be good for everyone.

Thanks.
Great thanks. I'll do that if my changes are worthy.  -phil

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 12:12:43 pm »

Just a quick edit to change the colors a bit. This will work for now.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 02:13:25 pm »

Just a quick edit to change the colors a bit. This will work for now.

Actually it's not working completely. On one pc it is working fine. On a 2nd machine it's not showing the new icons. I replaced the  SmallIcons.png file but MC is still showing the old icons. I've restarted MC and also rebooted the PC but to no avail. I wonder if this is a Windows thing or MC? Not sure where to look.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 05:06:55 am »

Actually it's not working completely. On one pc it is working fine. On a 2nd machine it's not showing the new icons. I replaced the  SmallIcons.png file but MC is still showing the old icons. I've restarted MC and also rebooted the PC but to no avail. I wonder if this is a Windows thing or MC? Not sure where to look.

Look in the main.xml file inside the Folder for the Skin the other PC is using because some Skins use their own versions of SmallIcons.png
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 08:32:19 am »

Look in the main.xml file inside the Folder for the Skin the other PC is using because some Skins use their own versions of SmallIcons.png

Absolutely!! That's what was happening. There was another SmallIcons.png inside the Skins folder for the Skin I was using.

C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 28\Skins\Standard View\....

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 05:19:22 am »

Something I forgot to mention - If that skin is one of the ones that comes with MC and you change the relevant images in its smallicons.png you should also change the skin name in the main.xml file and the folder name. If you don't then the next time you update the install on that machine MC will overwrite your modified, but not renamed, version with the Standard Version.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 07:48:54 am »

Something I forgot to mention - If that skin is one of the ones that comes with MC and you change the relevant images in its smallicons.png you should also change the skin name in the main.xml file and the folder name. If you don't then the next time you update the install on that machine MC will overwrite your modified, but not renamed, version with the Standard Version.

Got it.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 08:16:33 am »

If you put your skin in the Custom Resources folder, that won't happen.  It doesn't get overwritten and it does get copied when you upgrade to a new major version.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 02:36:13 pm »

If you put your skin in the Custom Resources folder, that won't happen.  It doesn't get overwritten and it does get copied when you upgrade to a new major version.

Just getting around to creating my own skin.

Where is the Custom Resources folder?

Also, I created a new SmallIcons.png file for my custom skin but MC is still using the MC Default one. I did modify the Main.xml file for the skin and added the Art tag with the SmallIcons entry. What else should I be doing? BTW, I'm using MC29.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 04:39:52 pm »

You have to make the Custom Resources folder.

Name your skin something different.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 05:02:09 pm »

You have to make the Custom Resources folder.

Name your skin something different.

Creating a new skin with its own SmallIcons.png file in it does not work. Like it's been said, you have to create 2 new folders; Custom Resources and Custom Art.

Here's the procedure in this topic called "How to change the tree icons"
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,56830.msg925151.html#msg925151

I implemented this in MC29 and it works. Not sure if it survives an MC update until we get another.

Here's the tip

For the stack icon list column

* Create a folder called "Custom Resources" in the "Data" folder you find in the MC program files directory.
    * Create a new text file inside your "Custom Resources" folder and name it "Images.xml"
    * Paste the following text into the Images.xml file and save the changes.

<Images>
  <SmallThumbStackTopCollapsed>0</SmallThumbStackTopCollapsed>
  <SmallThumbStackTopExpanded>1</SmallThumbStackTopExpanded>
  <SmallThumbStackMember>2</SmallThumbStackMember>
</Images>

* Create a new image file 48 pixels wide and 16 pixels high.
    * In the first 16x16 area of this file, create your "collapsed stack" icon.
    * In the second 16x16 area of this file, create your "stack top, expanded" icon.
    * In the third and final 16x16 area of this file, create your "stack member, expanded" icon.
    * Save this file as "SmallIcons.png" in your "Custom Art" folder.
    * Restart MC and it will use your custom icons in the list column.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 10:55:01 pm »

You're welcome :)

For artwork, Skin trumps Custom and Default, Custom trumps Default.
Pages: [1]   Go Up