INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PRIME anomalies  (Read 6433 times)

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
PRIME anomalies
« on: January 09, 2022, 02:45:42 pm »

Prime Device ID :1324C23D
Dvr Active set to yes.
I have several issues to write about.

I have set up Prime on JRiver Media center- Ubuntu 21.1- 64 bit.

DMS device not detected,
First time : Jan 04 2022.. it took more than 48 hours for the tuners to be detected.
Jan 05, no tuners showed up, then on the 6th, it got populated
At one time, I got a message "unable to download CERT from Silicondust server.

Then time to test the recording module.. Just a couple of local channels came in, but the files were empty.
Since December, I have done three resets, each time I pulled power from the wall, waited 10 minutes, with no DMS showing up.

Time to test the recording folders:
Default folder set to /home/george/videos/JRiver/TV Recording/

whatever folder you have for the alternate, will result in an error. The program will ask you to remove it. The code is getting confused.

On Saturday Jan 8, 2022. I recorded Channel 8 cbs, there were files over the folders, but within the folders the files were empty, (see attached zip ).
The above attempt was initiated from the Ubuntu server running JRiver version 28.0.98

During each reset, DMS taking so long to load, 4 Sony Bravia 4k tvs around the house will have no difficulty detecting the PRIME.
While the PRIME is not detected on the JRiver server, the Bravia will scan and detect 292 cable channels.
Also The Chrome Browser on my Ubuntu will report 292 channels.

Issues with HDhomerun Green software on the Bravia and the NVIDIA Shield Pro and non Pro:

DVR not not found pops up
At times, it finds the dvr.
on Saturday Jan 08 2023, we scheduled to record the NFL match up between KC Chiefs and Broncos.. We could not find the recording.
This was setup on the NVIDIA Shield Pro, with a newly attached 8tib Toshiba had drive configured as internal.
Please Note:

I have been using JRiver media software for a long time. My media network setup is very good. I can watch movies and music around the house and outside the house with no problem whatsoever.
I do not have any problem with my firewall setup.

Hdhomerun PRIME detection from Sony Xperia 1:

I installed the hdhomerun from Play store.
95 % of the time, the cell phone reports not able to detect the PRime on the network.
From the Nvidia Shield Pro or non Pro ,most of the time reports :
" Your hdhomerun DVR was not found "
Sir, why is the dvr not being found ?

When "Recorded", is selected, no recordings are available from the Nvidia Shield Pro and non Pro.

Thanks.

George Omoregie

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: PRIME anomalies
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 03:25:24 pm »

Firewall?  Please check Silicondust instructions.

Port 1900 needs to be open for SSDP discovery.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 10:33:35 pm »

DMS device not detected,
First time : Jan 04 2022.. it took more than 48 hours for the tuners to be detected.
Jan 05, no tuners showed up, then on the 6th, it got populated

Did you try restarting MC during those 48 hours?  Usually restarting MC helps with solving SSDP discovery issues.  MC uses SSDP discovery to find DMS tuners.

Time to test the recording folders:
Default folder set to /home/george/videos/JRiver/TV Recording/

whatever folder you have for the alternate, will result in an error. The program will ask you to remove it. The code is getting confused.

I take it to mean that you were not able to set the recording folder to any other location than the default location.  Not sure what to say.  Are there Linux access restrictions to the folders you try to use?

On Saturday Jan 8, 2022. I recorded Channel 8 cbs, there were files over the folders, but within the folders the files were empty, (see attached zip ).
The above attempt was initiated from the Ubuntu server running JRiver version 28.0.98

Folders are created to host temporary files during recording.  The actual recordings (files with .ts extension) are placed outside of those subfolders.  The subfolders are supposed to be deleted after the recording is finished.  Maybe there is a timing issue - when MC tries to delete the folder, it is still being access by some threads somehow.  Did you get the actual recordings (the TS files) at all?

You can try running "Clean up time-shifting folders..." manually to see if you can delete those empty subfolders.

During each reset, DMS taking so long to load, 4 Sony Bravia 4k tvs around the house will have no difficulty detecting the PRIME.
While the PRIME is not detected on the JRiver server, the Bravia will scan and detect 292 cable channels.
Also The Chrome Browser on my Ubuntu will report 292 channels.

Issues with HDhomerun Green software on the Bravia and the NVIDIA Shield Pro and non Pro:

DVR not not found pops up
At times, it finds the dvr.
on Saturday Jan 08 2023, we scheduled to record the NFL match up between KC Chiefs and Broncos.. We could not find the recording.
This was setup on the NVIDIA Shield Pro, with a newly attached 8tib Toshiba had drive configured as internal.
Please Note:

I have been using JRiver media software for a long time. My media network setup is very good. I can watch movies and music around the house and outside the house with no problem whatsoever.
I do not have any problem with my firewall setup.

Hdhomerun PRIME detection from Sony Xperia 1:

I installed the hdhomerun from Play store.
95 % of the time, the cell phone reports not able to detect the PRime on the network.
From the Nvidia Shield Pro or non Pro ,most of the time reports :
" Your hdhomerun DVR was not found "
Sir, why is the dvr not being found ?

When "Recorded", is selected, no recordings are available from the Nvidia Shield Pro and non Pro.

Thanks.

George Omoregie

Not sure, but maybe you should direct these questions to SiliconDust support or Nvidia Shield Pro support.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Ekpen

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 10:03:20 pm »

Firewall?  Please check Silicondust instructions.

Port 1900 needs to be open for SSDP discovery.
hello sir:
sorry for responding late.
port updated per your instructions.
Silicondust assigned a ticket and responded i need to be detail.
My write up was copied to the company.
I have no mire detail to  write about.
Regarding the DMS tuners, the three showed up with no issue but only for about an hour, after that all three tuners vanished.
11.00 pm 01 11 2022, no luck in getting them back.
"Manage Devices, I get error tuners not detected, or tuner list is empty.
I also get error message --device authorization code failure.
thanks again.
George Omoregie.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 10:09:13 pm »

Weak network signal?

Ekpen

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 10:24:20 pm »

Did you try restarting MC during those 48 hours?  Usually restarting MC helps with solving SSDP discovery issues.  MC uses SSDP discovery to find DMS tuners.

I take it to mean that you were not able to set the recording folder to any other location than the default location.  Not sure what to say.  Are there Linux access restrictions to the folders you try to use?

Folders are created to host temporary files during recording.  The actual recordings (files with .ts extension) are placed outside of those subfolders.  The subfolders are supposed to be deleted after the recording is finished.  Maybe there is a timing issue - when MC tries to delete the folder, it is still being access by some threads somehow.  Did you get the actual recordings (the TS files) at all?

You can try running "Clean up time-shifting folders..." manually to see if you can delete those empty subfolders.

Not sure, but maybe you should direct these questions to SiliconDust support or Nvidia Shield Pro support.
hello:
Yes, i restarted MC several times and also today, briefly the tuners showed up without my intervention.
Then they vanished. athat was 2 or 3 hours ago.
In manage devices. no luck with turners showing up.
regarding the alternate recording folders, I tried it today, same result,it does not accept any folder or drive input.
today, I was able to record one or two channels with data, when the turners were available.
I get tuner list is empty, or tuner not detected error.
Device authorization code failure also popped up.I will continue to play with the tv settings until i am able to get  familiar with time shifting.
The good news today is ,One the channels recorded, was visible on my sony experia phone and nvidia shield device through the use of Mo4media via dlna.
thanks.
George

Ekpen

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 10:31:58 pm »

Weak network signal?
hard wired Netgear switch, and even the wifi router is wifi 6.
Nothing is weak or slow on this ubuntu goliathlinux server.gpus rtx 2080ti dual, does not break a sweat with intel 5960x, 4k movies via wired or wirelss fast fast fast.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 07:22:32 am »

Yes, i restarted MC several times and also today, briefly the tuners showed up without my intervention.
Then they vanished. athat was 2 or 3 hours ago.
I get tuner list is empty, or tuner not detected error.
Power cycle everything.
That could be firewall related.

If the tuner don't show up in MC, nothing else will work.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 12:47:43 pm »

I'm not in any position to know if Silicon Dust Linux drivers or MC DMS tuner stuff running on Linux is up to par... But it's very bad that you get silicon dust server errors and various android apps not detecting the tuners. Once that is resolved, MC may fall right into place.

Suggest you set static IP's in your router for the Prime device and Server, then reboot them both.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Ekpen

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 05:27:57 pm »

I'm not in any position to know if Silicon Dust Linux drivers or MC DMS tuner stuff running on Linux is up to par... But it's very bad that you get silicon dust server errors and various android apps not detecting the tuners. Once that is resolved, MC may fall right into place.

Suggest you set static IP's in your router for the Prime device and Server, then reboot them both.

Hello:
Thanks for your suggestion.
01/12/2022 6.00 PM, no luck with getting PRIME to detect on the server.
But the Shields pro and non pro, 4 Bravia tvs upstairs and 3 downstairs have no problem detecting the PRIME. Infact the hdhomerun software from play store installed on this tvs and android devices detect the PRIME in a heart beat.
But that is the eact opposite.
Last night, I replied on this issue, two hours or so before them, the tuners just disappeared, since then efforts to scan and detect the PRIME has been in vain.
I can type in the IP of the device on the Chrome browser and everything works.

I think MC could be asked to scan media devices on the server  or allow ip address to be used to detect the PRIME or any other network devices.
A button to do this will be ok.
This is just my suggestion, I am in no way telling the engineers how to do their job.
Today about 3 hours ago, I removed the ethernet cable from the switch and connected directly to Netgear RAX 200 wifi 6 router, still no luck.
So my prayer now is to wait for the PRIME to show up.
In the vein of this discussion, I will like to know if Commercial skip is implemented yet on the Linux platform ?
I have for the past 5 years or so, been reading about AD -Skip or removal in the Windows platform. I would like to experiment with it now.

Thanks everyone.
George Omoregie

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 06:11:29 pm »

ComSkip is a third-party software.  It probably does have a Linux version.  Find and install it on your Linux machine then experiment with it by manually removing Ads from a few TS video files. 

In MC, you can setup a TV recording so that it will run ComSkip when recording finishes.

Ekpen

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 10:37:26 pm »

ComSkip is a third-party software.  It probably does have a Linux version.  Find and install it on your Linux machine then experiment with it by manually removing Ads from a few TS video files. 

In MC, you can setup a TV recording so that it will run ComSkip when recording finishes.

Thanks
George Omoregie

Ekpen

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 03:44:51 pm »

Power cycle everything.That could be firewall related.

If the tuner don't show up in MC, nothing else will work.
Hello:
I got a response from Silicondust tech support.
He wrote that he will contact JRiver.
From what I got from him, PRIME  uses packets for broadcasting.
He thinks something in MC is cancelling out the packet detection

Since my last write up,

tuners came up; once for about one hour, then vanished.
I have not been able to enable the tuners.
I have have

gone through unplugging, from device or wall, restarting MC, with no luck.

George

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 03:51:43 pm »

Power cycle all devices involved, including the tuners, network components, etc.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 07:48:49 pm »

tuners came up; once for about one hour, then vanished.

This does not make sense to me.  MC detects a device, usually shortly after its start up, and keeps it.  MC does not cancel a device.  It needs to detect at start up, but will not need to do it once the device it found.  If the device disappears, there is something wrong with the device itself.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 08:01:07 pm »

This does not make sense to me.  MC detects a device, usually shortly after its start up, and keeps it.  MC does not cancel a device.  It needs to detect at start up, but will not need to do it once the device it found.  If the device disappears, there is something wrong with the device itself.
Or the network.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2022, 09:03:57 am »

Or the network.

Exactly.

Even when either network or the device malfunctions, MC would still keep the reference to the device that it had discovered previously, so inside MC there is no device disappearing.  But of course when either the device or the network malfunctions, MC would not be able to use the device anymore.

Ekpen

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 04:20:17 pm »

Or the network.

Hello:
PRIME is wired.
It is connected to a Netgear 24 port giga switch.
Every appliances in the house are on the switch.
All tvs ,shield stable with no disconnecting from the network.
Once in a while, I will power cycle the router, Rax 200, wifi 6., and also the shield go through rebooting.
Other than this, the network is stable. The linux box is also wired to this switch
The Prime itself  has gone through several power cycling.
I will try power cycling the 24 port switch.
I have been able to record 3 or 3 channels, and this recording not reliable because of disconnecting, whatever I line up to record, gives me tuner list is empty. The list populates after a day or two

I am during playback of the few channels, starting to experience repeated crashing of MC.
This  PC, has 128 gig of corsair memory,and brand new toshiba 8 tib, hard drive.
I wiil send you a log as soon as I am able to get to the server downstairs.

Thanks

George

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2022, 04:25:11 pm »

I don't think there is any reason to send logs if the tuners aren't detected reliably.  Sorry.

Try simplifying your network and turning off everything you can.

It acts like a network problem.  And even wired networks have problems. 

Ekpen

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2022, 06:07:24 pm »

I don't think there is any reason to send logs if the tuners aren't detected reliably.  Sorry.

Try simplifying your network and turning off everything you can.

It acts like a network problem.  And even wired networks have problems.
Has Silicondust support contacted JRiver yet ?
This tech guy said, he thinks something within the dlna code is disconnecting the packet detection in  the Prime hadware.He said, he would be contacting JRiver to discuss it with you.
I am not experiencing a disconnect within my network.
The linux sever is rock steady
After adding port 1900, I looked at the log, i saw a reference to port 1900.
With or without port 1900, the bahaviour has not changed,
The instability of the Prime results in channels lined up for recording will not record,
I have already created the log before I got your response.
I  will just sent the logs to you.
View them, if they are relevant and then delete at your discretion.
BTW, I just disconnected Directv of 25 plus years, no network issues with it. All Directv boxes have been shipped back.
This is my first time a device connects, then out of no where, just vanishes from the network.
I did not have this issue on my several Windows PC, or my Linux boxes I have owned.

The log or logs will be for the continuous crashing of MC as I tried to play a few television recording..
MC will crash, I have to reload MC.The wired or
The wired or wireless still intact.
PS log removed.
Thanks.

George Omoregie

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2022, 09:08:43 am »

Has Silicondust support contacted JRiver yet ?
This tech guy said, he thinks something within the dlna code is disconnecting the packet detection in  the Prime hadware.He said, he would be contacting JRiver to discuss it with you.

No they have not contacted us yet (yesterday was a holiday, they might have not worked, although we did work).

We do not stop packet detection.  At the start up of MC, it may take 20 to 30 seconds for MC to detect the devices, but as I mentioned earlier, we do keep the reference to devices we already detected, until you re-start MC.

So, if MC crashes, or for any reason you re-start it, don't immediately go checking whether MC has detected your PRIME tuners.  Wait for about 30 seconds to one minute.  Your devices should show up in MC.  Once detected, they will be there for MC to use, until MC is restarted.

This is my first time a device connects, then out of no where, just vanishes from the network.

You say "it just vanishes from the network".  So it is not MC not detecting it, it is the device not showing up on the network,  isn't it?

I did not have this issue on my several Windows PC, or my Linux boxes I have owned.

But this particular computer you are having trouble with is a Linux box, isn't it?

The log or logs will be for the continuous crashing of MC as I tried to play a few television recording..
MC will crash, I have to reload MC.The wired or

Crashing is totally a different issue.  Maybe there is an issue with your video drivers?

Ekpen

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 03:36:55 pm »

No they have not contacted us yet (yesterday was a holiday, they might have not worked, although we did work).

We do not stop packet detection.  At the start up of MC, it may take 20 to 30 seconds for MC to detect the devices, but as I mentioned earlier, we do keep the reference to devices we already detected, until you re-start MC.

So, if MC crashes, or for any reason you re-start it, don't immediately go checking whether MC has detected your PRIME tuners.  Wait for about 30 seconds to one minute.  Your devices should show up in MC.  Once detected, they will be there for MC to use, until MC is restarted.

You say "it just vanishes from the network".  So it is not MC not detecting it, it is the device not showing up on the network,  isn't it?

But this particular computer you are having trouble with is a Linux box, isn't it?

Crashing is totally a different issue.  Maybe there is an issue with your video drivers?

Hello :

I should have started another thread to report the crash.
My server is Linux.
128 gig of memory
Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti.
Intel 6950X cpu.
Driver is current.. I have no video issues.
Ubuntu 21.10, 64 bit.
Crashing: I tried to play via Mo4media  few channels, no luck , it just crashed.
I have to come downstairs to reload MC so that it stays on the desktop. Of course, I will check the wired connectio, result no disconnect on the network.

MC  and Network and Prime:
DMS field will be empty for a long time and message Tuner list is empty.
At times  tuners will be avaiable, then suddenly it disconnects.
It will take another 24 or 48 hours for the Prime to get detected by JRiver television module.
I will then perform repeated inplugging and power off and on.
I will also exit MC and reload just to bring back the lost connectivity of PRIME.
During this time of Prime not being detected, all 7 Bravia tvs, regardless of year of make will still be connected to the Ubuntu server.Ubuntu will still have the ethernet icon on, then going further, the wifi will still be on.

All 3 Nvidia shield stbs will still be connected. Bravia tvs and Shields will not even know that the Prime has been disconnected.
Bravia and Shield stbs have no problem connecting to the PRIME box downstairs via the HDhomerun app from playstore.
In  other words, the disconnection is limited between the server and Prime, the software running on the server is JRiver.
Mo4media installed and running on all Tvs and also on all Nvidia Shields, Movie watching from the server library containing mkvs are not affected. In other wods, this issue is localized within MC television services and PRIME.
The support from Silicondust wrote me saying that it seems dlna device is disconnecting the PRIME. He wrote he will be contacting JRiver.
The good thing about this MC television is that my wife likes the picture.
She said the picture is better than Directv.
I hope we can get this unstable connection of PRIME resolved.
My network is very stable about 98 % stable, and the Linux server has lots of gusto, nothing slows it down.

I wrote about comskip, I thought I read for several years Windows version has Ad removal feature --correct? the Canack ?
I have not seen any evidence of it being implemented on the Linux version of MC.
Take care.
Thank you.

George Omoregie

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2022, 05:04:51 pm »

George,
There are a lot of our customers using Silicondust tuners.  I do at home.  You're the only one reporting this issue.  So I think either you have a network misconfiguration, or the tuner is flakey.  Power supply going bad, for example.

That other devices work and that other software works isn't proof of anything. 

Simplify your setup as much as you can.  Look hard at your network.

I'm sorry you have the problem, but I just don't think it's an MC problem.

Jim

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2022, 05:22:52 pm »

While the PRIME is not detected on the JRiver server .... the Chrome Browser on my Ubuntu will report 292 channels.

I find this very interesting. When the PRIME is not detected in MC, if you click on a channel from the Ubuntu browser, does it open up a player and play that channel? And if you run the HDHomerun Setup program (hdhomerun_config_gui) on your Ubuntu box, does it find the tuners?

https://www.silicondust.com/support/linux/

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2022, 08:57:35 am »

I am beginning to think that your TV sets, or other computers, may be holding up the tuners.  If you have three devices already using the PRIME, outside of MC, MC will not be able to use any one of the tuners.

So, let's first clear up the question of what you mean by "tuners disappear".

When MC can not use the tuners, you should do the following:

Right-click the "Television" branch in the left pane (the Tree), and choose "Manage Devices...".  In the resulting dialog window do you see your PRIME device listed?  You should see them listed there, both as DMS devices and OpenCable devices (three tuners each, but you should only use the three DMS tuners as you only have three physical tuners).  If you do see the tuners listed there, MC has previously detected the tuners and is holding reference to them, and thus the tuners have NOT disappeared, but maybe they are just not available for use in MC on this computer.

If MC messages you that tuner is not available, that means the tuners are in use.

You can also click "Show Status" in the filter box in Standard View.  MC list all tuners, and the status of each.  Does the "State" say "Idle" or "Not available" or something else?

Ekpen

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2022, 02:24:08 pm »

I am beginning to think that your TV sets, or other computers, may be holding up the tuners.  If you have three devices already using the PRIME, outside of MC, MC will not be able to use any one of the tuners.

So, let's first clear up the question of what you mean by "tuners disappear".

When MC can not use the tuners, you should do the following:

Right-click the "Television" branch in the left pane (the Tree), and choose "Manage Devices...".  In the resulting dialog window do you see your PRIME device listed?  You should see them listed there, both as DMS devices and OpenCable devices (three tuners each, but you should only use the three DMS tuners as you only have three physical tuners).  If you do see the tuners listed there, MC has previously detected the tuners and is holding reference to them, and thus the tuners have NOT disappeared, but maybe they are just not available for use in MC on this computer.

If MC messages you that tuner is not available, that means the tuners are in use.

You can also click "Show Status" in the filter box in Standard View.  MC list all tuners, and the status of each.  Does the "State" say "Idle" or "Not available" or something else?

Hello:
Tuner list is empty means device is not detected.
Tuner is idle.. means tuners are not doing anything though available.
When tuners are engaged, it says in the status busy or will report what the tuner or tuners are doing.

DMS field is empty, means tuners are not detected.  after a few minutes, the box should be detected.
In my case, detecting the device will take 2 days or more.

As of this hour, while trying to respond to your concerns before this current writing, I used this to directly get to the tuner via the Chrome Browser:
http://hdhomerun.local
I also on occassions use ip: 192.168.1 xx

Either method lands me on the hdhomerun menu where I can see the IP address, host address etc. Even Chrome Browser commands worked well  if the  PRIME is not detected from JRiver.. Television  on the Ubuntu server. at the same time, hdhomerun app on the tvs, Nvidia shields can still connect to the PRIME with the channels line up displayed on all Bravia tvs.
Moreover, Gizmo,JRemote/2,Mo4media all still connect to the server either within the house or outside the house.
With Mo4media, it is even more apparent. It is installed on all tvs and Shields .Works beauftifully.
I am writing, to prove that I have no network problem on my server . My home has been wired for network almost 26 years ago.The network issue is localized to JRiver-- Television app or module
As of this writing, I am getting "Tuner list is empty, still waiting for PRIME to connect.
I lost connection more than an hour ago.

Edit:

The tuners just came back  !!!.

It is going to disconnect again, then making me loose what was being recorded at the time of disconnection.
According to the tech from Silicondust, something like the dlna mode is probing the device, and he thinks that is what is knocking it off the network.
If you want me to send you a copy of his write up, let me know. I will send it to you by PM.
I believe what the tech is saying, something is kicking the PRIME OFF, it is a JRiver.. Television issue, NOT the entire JRiver software package that is affected.
PRIME network connection and detection MUST BE RELAXED. (Simple Packets detection) is all that it needs

Another Point:
Any fix yet for the alternate Folder/Hard drive recording ?
Please note that JRiver crashes when attempting to play or watch recorded tv shows. During a crash, I double checked the wired and wireless network. The network is not crashing.
At times no playback at all when making attempts to play recorded materials. Some play , some do not play.
When playing mkvs from the network, I do not experience any crashes.
Thanks.

George Omoregie.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2022, 05:31:40 pm »

The tuners just came back  !!!.

So you would see 3 prime tuners listed in MC's Manage Devices, like this:

HDHomeRun DMS 122233D Tuner 0 (HDHomeRun PRIME) ADD33555666FFDEE (DMS)
HDHomeRun DMS 122233D Tuner 1 (HDHomeRun PRIME) ADD33555666FFDEF (DMS)
HDHomeRun DMS 122233D Tuner 2 (HDHomeRun PRIME) ADD33555666FFDED (DMS)

It is going to disconnect again, then making me loose what was being recorded at the time of disconnection.

When it happens, MC is still running and maybe recording something?  You are saying then the tuners will disappear from the device list (like the three entries as shown above would disappear)?

As I said, MC would keep the reference to the three tuners (thus they would still be in the list), even though MC might not be able to use the tuner, like you said the recording would be lost.  The recording stops working because the connection is lost, but that is not MC's doing.  MC does not disconnect.

If you close MC and restart it, then it is another story.  Anytime you restart MC, MC would have to undergo device discovery again.

As Jim said, no other users have issues like this.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2022, 05:34:38 pm »

Any fix yet for the alternate Folder/Hard drive recording ?

No.  There is no fix because there is no issue.  I can not reproduce any issue you described.

Please note that JRiver crashes when attempting to play or watch recorded tv shows. During a crash, I double checked the wired and wireless network. The network is not crashing.
At times no playback at all when making attempts to play recorded materials. Some play , some do not play.
When playing mkvs from the network, I do not experience any crashes.

Are the other videos, like your mkvs, on the same hard disk as your TV recordings?  Is the hard disk in good shape?  Does it have large enough free space?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2022, 05:59:25 pm »

According to the tech from Silicondust, something like the dlna mode is probing the device, and he thinks that is what is knocking it off the network.
If you want me to send you a copy of his write up, let me know. I will send it to you by PM.
I believe what the tech is saying, something is kicking the PRIME OFF, it is a JRiver.. Television issue, NOT the entire JRiver software package that is affected.
PRIME network connection and detection MUST BE RELAXED. (Simple Packets detection) is all that it needs

PM me his message.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2022, 06:11:21 pm »

Or posting it here might be better.

Ekpen

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 03:49:32 pm »

I find this very interesting. When the PRIME is not detected in MC, if you click on a channel from the Ubuntu browser, does it open up a player and play that channel? And if you run the HDHomerun Setup program (hdhomerun_config_gui) on your Ubuntu box, does it find the tuners?

https://www.silicondust.com/support/linux/

Yes, I can scan for channels.
On Chrome, I can access the PRIME with:
http://hdhomerun.local
With this command, It will display the PRIME set up, config, log, and asks to scan for channels.
The HDhomerun installed on Bravias.. all , and Nvidia will detect the PRIME from anywhere in the house. We can also watch live tvs on the PRIME even from my  Experia Sony cell phone.

Regarding if my mkvs and television recordings are on same drive:
Jan 3 2022.. Amazon delivered the 8tb drive reserved for tv recordings only. It is inside a dual bay external enclosure. Curently 7.2 tib unused.
I have more than 30 drives, internal or external with enough room for 24 external mediasonic RAID 5 bays on this goliath server, Hence I called it the Goliathlinux server grin.
The 3000 plus mkvs do not mix with  the television recordings. Never Never Never. Server is well planned., cool with at least 13 RGB corsair fans

Regarding Isuues with 2nd recording drive:

Tested again before this response:
"Alternative recording folder should be set on a different hard drive OR NOT set at all"
I have tested it on different hard drives several times with same error message.
The set up  thinks it is the same hard drive regardless of me pointing to a different hard drive within the server,

Below is the response from silicondust support.

PRIME anomalies. [#157112]
Inbox

HDHomeRun Support
Jan 10, 2022, 3:34 PM (11 days ago)
-- reply above this line -- Dear George, Your request has been assigned ticket #157112. A Silicondust representative will reply shortly. If you have an old case

HDHomeRun Support
Jan 14, 2022, 8:04 AM (7 days ago)
to me

Dear George,
Our apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I'm not aware of a newsgroup list for us, but we can handle everything through this support ticket. Device discovery on the network should be nearly instant.

We use broadcast packets on the local subnetwork to have the app detect the local HDHomeRun audio. There can sometimes be a temporary "blindness" if there is anything interrupting the broadcast packets, but that would be fixed by quitting the HDHomeRun app and opening it up again. Anything like that should have no impact on third party software, unless they are also using broadcast packets or some other kind of auto discovery, such as DLNA/UPnP A/V, and there is a network issue there. I will look into and see how JRiver handles discovery of the HDHomeRun and if there is anything we can help with.

Offhand I'm not sure if JRiver does anything special for recordings, but in theory the HDHomeRun transmits data identically for live viewing and recordings. Recordings are simply saving the same data that is shown for live viewing, and keeping that data in a file. The app will request a given channel and the HDHomeRun will transmit the channel data until the connection ends. The HDHomeRun doesn't have any concept of what is happening to the data, and that is all up to the software being used. Again, we will reach out to the JRiver people and see if there are any known issues and see if there is anything we can help with.
End:

Thanks.
George

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2022, 12:42:27 pm »

Regarding Isuues with 2nd recording drive:

Tested again before this response:
"Alternative recording folder should be set on a different hard drive OR NOT set at all"
I have tested it on different hard drives several times with same error message.
The set up  thinks it is the same hard drive regardless of me pointing to a different hard drive within the server,

Now I understand the issue better.  I did not realize that you were trying to "Specify a second location for recording and time-shifting files".

There is indeed an issue on Linux and Mac computers because I was using some code that was not tested on these platforms and the code does not seem to work as intended.

As the error message you got suggests, this feature is meant for you to choose a location on a different drive.  The purpose of that is so that you will not overload the first drive in case you simultaneously record many shows.  As long as you do not record many shows simultaneously (for example more than 5 or 6 recordings at the same time), you do not really need this feature.

I will make a fix so that you will be allowed to make a selection when you really need to.

Below is the response from silicondust support.

PRIME anomalies. [#157112]
Inbox

HDHomeRun Support
Jan 10, 2022, 3:34 PM (11 days ago)
-- reply above this line -- Dear George, Your request has been assigned ticket #157112. A Silicondust representative will reply shortly. If you have an old case

HDHomeRun Support
Jan 14, 2022, 8:04 AM (7 days ago)
to me

Dear George,
Our apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I'm not aware of a newsgroup list for us, but we can handle everything through this support ticket. Device discovery on the network should be nearly instant.

We use broadcast packets on the local subnetwork to have the app detect the local HDHomeRun audio. There can sometimes be a temporary "blindness" if there is anything interrupting the broadcast packets, but that would be fixed by quitting the HDHomeRun app and opening it up again. Anything like that should have no impact on third party software, unless they are also using broadcast packets or some other kind of auto discovery, such as DLNA/UPnP A/V, and there is a network issue there. I will look into and see how JRiver handles discovery of the HDHomeRun and if there is anything we can help with.

Offhand I'm not sure if JRiver does anything special for recordings, but in theory the HDHomeRun transmits data identically for live viewing and recordings. Recordings are simply saving the same data that is shown for live viewing, and keeping that data in a file. The app will request a given channel and the HDHomeRun will transmit the channel data until the connection ends. The HDHomeRun doesn't have any concept of what is happening to the data, and that is all up to the software being used. Again, we will reach out to the JRiver people and see if there are any known issues and see if there is anything we can help with.
End:

Thanks for posting the message from SiliconDust tech.  I do not see anything that raise any flags.  In particular we do not kick the tuner devices off.  We do use DLNA device discovery as our way of discovering SiliconDust tuners.  I will keep your issues in mind and pay some attention to what might happen on a Linux machine.

Ekpen

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2022, 01:51:57 pm »

Hello:
Using dlna method to query or discover the tuners may be too aggressive.
From what I read from the tech support, PRIME uses simple packets for discovery

Anything other than this will block JRiver television from seeing it, while still allowing other hardware to see the PRIME.
Note:
Remember the Chrome browser still detected the PRIME, same is true ..Sony bravias see the PRIME.
Anyway, I will brush it off.
Btw, have you called Silicon dust support ,?
You have my ticket #.
Thanks.
George.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2022, 03:12:01 pm »

George, Please read about SSDP.

Ekpen

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2022, 10:55:18 am »

Now I understand the issue better.  I did not realize that you were trying to "Specify a second location for recording and time-shifting files".

There is indeed an issue on Linux and Mac computers because I was using some code that was not tested on these platforms and the code does not seem to work as intended.

As the error message you got suggests, this feature is meant for you to choose a location on a different drive.  The purpose of that is so that you will not overload the first drive in case you simultaneously record many shows.  As long as you do not record many shows simultaneously (for example more than 5 or 6 recordings at the same time), you do not really need this feature.

I will make a fix so that you will be allowed to make a selection when you really need to.

Thanks for posting the message from SiliconDust tech.  I do not see anything that raise any flags.  In particular we do not kick the tuner devices off.  We do use DLNA device discovery as our way of discovering SiliconDust tuners.  I will keep your issues in mind and pay some attention to what might happen on a Linux machine.
Hello:
second drive is totally different. I have also chosen other drives one at a time for testing.
When the time comes, I will get a brand new hard drive for use as a second drive.
Thanks for your understanding.

In the vein of this discussion, I have more related and frusrating issue to report.

01/27/2022: Thursday.
About 2.00 PM, my recording stopped. PRIME just discoonected from JRiver, 9 hours later, no luck trying to bring it back for JRiver television to use. I still get turner list is empty
All channels for recording, failed to record. A few got erased because they did not complete.
Same Thursday, I took down JRiver--- meaning MC was not loaded.
In front of the server, I used my browser to connect to PRIME. I ran antenna scanning, then did a firmware update successfully. PRIME rebooted back online, still turner list still empty. Then I just did not load MC, BUT the Bravias and Shields in the house were still able to detect the PRIME. This proved that it is only MC television that is having hard time in discovering the PRIME. My tvs could connect and wife and I were able to watch live television from the channels, BUT NOTE THIS: MC is not even running on the desktop. To test this, Mo4media,Jremote1/2, Gizmo, even EOS were not connecting to MC. This is just a proof that the PRIME is still on the network, or my network, hence the Green hdhomerun app will let us connect and watch live tvs
But putting MC back on line and firing television setting, later and continuing to this hour I am writing this, MC television set up has not detected the PRIME.
Another error message:
"MC failed to obtain Silicondust device authorization code, make sure you have a supported  Silicondust device and MC has finished DLNA discovery Process."
I have not had any issues with my device discovery. All MC's rempte connect at home and outside the house, including all the Sony Bravias and 3 Nvidia shield devices.
Today is Friday, 11.44 a.m, still no luck yet in getting the television settings in MC to detect the PRIME.
Could this be a conflict between MC's DLNA code and the SSDP ?
Maybe something within MC code is blocking the discovery of the PRIME.
Remember, my network hardware in the house have no issue being connected and detected,and currrently no problem with my Sony bravias and shields connecting to JRiver server.
Thanks.
George Omoregie

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2022, 08:28:02 am »

If I were you, I would setup a TEST machine running Windows 10. Do a clean install of MC, go through Tv Setup, see if you have the same Tv tuner issues. If that works and you are set on using Ubuntu, I would recommend you temporarily disable AND uninstall ALL of Ubuntu's Firewall/Antivirus AND any third party Antivirus, not just opening ports/etc. Then reboot the machine, verify NONE of the Firewall/Antivirus is there, then open MC and test if the Tv tuner problem persists.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2022, 11:20:22 am »

"MC failed to obtain Silicondust device authorization code, make sure you have a supported  Silicondust device and MC has finished DLNA discovery Process."

This happens if EPG loading starts soon after MC is started, and is normal.  This, in most cases, is just the by-product of SSDP discovery process not finding the tuners yet.  As soon as the tuner is discovered, EPG loading will resume.  So, this is not any new issue.  It is just part of the tuner discovery issue that no other users have experienced so far (except during the first minute of MC starting).

Ekpen

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2022, 03:12:45 pm »

Hello:
sorry for not writing back soon
I was waiting to observe the behavior of PRIME.
of recent, I noticed a reconnection to JRiver television to be about 7 to 10 minutes.
No more taking days for the rediscovery.
I have not changed anything.
Thanks.
George.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2022, 08:22:04 pm »

Thanks for reporting back.  Still puzzled.

Ekpen

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2022, 02:57:39 pm »

Hello:

On 02 05 2022, I noticed the PRIME did a firmware update from the Bravia.
What the update accomplished, I have no idea.
I will try to monitor the reliability and stability,for a week then report back.
This time , I am only interested in how quick it connects or reconnects to JRiver.
One more quirk I noticed: at times some recorded ts get deleted, I do not know why.

Hope  you do not mind me using this thread to discuss Ad removal
In reality I am interested only in Flac and movies, Not Television. I got in to tv becasuse my wife wants it, and was tired of Directv.
The comskip both Gui and via CLI installed even I used the package installer to install, no luck in getting the ad removal to work.
I ask for guidance  in intergrating ad removal in to the next version of MC 29 xxx.
So I will go to MC 29 to formally add this ad removal to my wishlist.
Thanks again for the hard work.

George T Omoregie/

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2022, 06:21:25 pm »

TV recordings should not be removed unless you configured MC to do it, especially .ts files.  MC would remove the recordings if you configured a subscription to "keep only x episodes", or to "keep only for x days".

Another possible reason for a file being deleted is when you finish watching a recorded show (or very close to finishing), MC could pop up a message box (if you configured MC to do it) asking you whether you want to delete the file.  If you click OK, the file will be deleted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up