INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mediacentre28 Crashes Mac [Solved]  (Read 3650 times)

robow

Mediacentre28 Crashes Mac [Solved]
« on: January 24, 2022, 12:46:45 pm »

Every time I try to set up the location for my libraries MC28 crashes, I have tried the recomended solutions but stilll crashes

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mediacentre28 Crashes Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 12:52:50 pm »

Every time I try to set up the location for my libraries MC28 crashes, I have tried the recomended solutions but stilll crashes
Are you running build 104 (just posted)?

Rabbit

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 05:28:23 pm »

Mine crashes doing nothing. Both on 104 & 105 on Mac m-1 Monterey 12.2

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 05:36:32 pm »

Mine crashes doing nothing. Both on 104 & 105 on Mac m-1 Monterey 12.2
If you have a MacOS update after you installed MC28, please try reinstalling MC28. There is something odd with permissions that seem to be reset for some users when a MacOS update is installed.
Also check the first post here for the necessary permissions MC needs to access your disk.
If your location isn't allowed by permissions it won't work.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131123.0.html

Rabbit

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 10:41:41 pm »

Thanks.  I tried it all but the system still crashes.  It asks for my keychain passwords sequentially for various services (CommCenter & others), acts erratically then crashes.  I tried 105, 104, & 103.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 08:42:20 am »

Rabbit

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 11:45:30 am »

Yes & yes. I also deleted the Application Support folder per this post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=111705.0 which triggered a license key restore.  It's still crashing (though it's getting more efficient at it  ;)).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 09:28:01 am »

It shouldn't ask anything about your keychain. just for access to required permissions.
Are you running as a Administrative user or Standard user?
Is your Security and Privacy -> Privacy allowing Accessibility, input monitoring and and disk access as outlined in the post I linked for you above??

Rabbit

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 11:04:02 am »

Running as Admin and yes, the permissions are set as in the link. Again, this behavior started after the Monterey upgrade.  Latest crash was without any permission dialogues. fyi my Apple account is disconnected. Wondering if this is related to Rosetta emulation.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 11:36:20 am »

Running as Admin and yes, the permissions are set as in the link. Again, this behavior started after the Monterey upgrade.  Latest crash was without any permission dialogues. fyi my Apple account is disconnected. Wondering if this is related to Rosetta emulation.
Is there a reason you are running under Rosetta?
MC doesn't care about your Apple account.

Rabbit

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 12:07:48 am »

It's my understanding that Rosetta allows apps designed for Intel-based Macs to run on Silicon Macs.  If this version of MC is built to run on Apple Silicon then it's a non-issue.  I appreciate your trying to help.  Are any other users having similar problems?  What are my next steps to troubleshoot this?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 08:11:47 am »

It's my understanding that Rosetta allows apps designed for Intel-based Macs to run on Silicon Macs.  If this version of MC is built to run on Apple Silicon then it's a non-issue.  I appreciate your trying to help.  Are any other users having similar problems?  What are my next steps to troubleshoot this?
MediaCenter28 is a universal app, it contains a full silicon build and a full intel build in a universal or "fat" binary.
It runs under silicon natively unless you open it's info in the finder and check the option to run under rosetta.

Anyway, I just tested that on my M1 and it works fine both ways.

I want to confirm with you that you re-downloaded the current build, 28.0.105 and reinstalled it by mounting the .dmg and dragging the Media center 28 app in that disk image window to your applications folder link in that window?

Please email me
bob (at) jriver (dot) com
the Apple crash dump info (you can copy and paste it from the report that would be "sent to apple" into a message).
You could also take a short video of trying to run it up until the point it crashes and send that as well.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 08:43:31 am »

You mentioned "set the location of my library".

This can be confusing for new MC users.  "Library" in MC's terms means it's database.  You should not need to touch that under normal circumstances.

What you probably want is to tell MC where your MEDIA FILES are located.  To do that, you can either do a one time import (which reads your files and tells MC about them), or you can set up an Auto Import location so that MC will monitor one or more folders for media files and import new ones as they are added.

To get started go the menu at the top of the screen and select:  Tools > Import

Then select what you want to do:  single folder, auto import, etc.  Perhaps start with a single folder and see how that works for you.

Good luck,
Brian.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 03:39:48 am »

There is a possibility that there was something wrong/odd in Monterey 12.2 because Apple have already released Monterey 12.2.1 see if updating to that fixes the problem
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Rabbit

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2022, 11:19:21 am »

Bob,
I did indeed re-install 105 as you described but still no joy.  I'll be sending you both the Mac log and the MC log via email.  Thanks again for looking into this.  As to a recording of the crash, there is really nothing to see.  While playing music either from my library or cloudplay the system freezes then crashes.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2022, 02:48:25 pm »

Bob,
I did indeed re-install 105 as you described but still no joy.  I'll be sending you both the Mac log and the MC log via email.  Thanks again for looking into this.  As to a recording of the crash, there is really nothing to see.  While playing music either from my library or cloudplay the system freezes then crashes.
So it runs for a while, then crashes? During playback?

Rabbit

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2022, 04:26:14 pm »

yep

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2022, 05:18:12 pm »

yep
Remove all auto-import enties.
Tools->Import->Configure auto-import.

Rabbit

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2022, 06:00:55 pm »

Has been like that.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2022, 09:25:00 am »

What device are you playing to from those log files?

Try turning off inline lyrics lookup.

Also, I'd like to see the text from the Apple Crash Dump report.
That wasn't among what you sent.

blgentry

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2022, 06:50:27 pm »

It's extremely common for MC to crash when trying to auto import files that are "bad".  I've seen this dozens of times over the years with many different MC customers.

Rabbit, are you saying your library is COMPLETELY empty?  Or that you have NO auto import entries at all?

It's kind of hard to follow this when your replies are single words.  More information would definitely be helpful.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2022, 10:12:16 pm »

It's extremely common for MC to crash when trying to auto import files that are "bad".  I've seen this dozens of times over the years with many different MC customers.
They were corrupt files, and we're a lot better at defending against them now.

Most of the crashes that we see now are a result of changes in the OS.  Apple doesn't seem to be very careful about making the OS backward compatible.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2022, 08:35:40 am »

It seems his problem is with the computer itself or perhaps a bad device driver. It was crashing the computer, not MC and happened with another program as well.

Rabbit

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2022, 10:30:09 am »

Bob is correct.  The issue seems to be with the OS.  Another program (Strawberry media player) also resulted in a system crash.  I've read that Monterey has an issue with backwards compatibility (as JimH stated).  Some have said that the onus is on the third party developer to keep up with OS changes but I personally think that is a lot to ask and that the OS needs to have backwards compatibility, but this is Apple after all. Maybe that's why I've never been an Apple fan  ;)

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2022, 11:30:34 am »

Bob is correct.  The issue seems to be with the OS.  Another program (Strawberry media player) also resulted in a system crash.  I've read that Monterey has an issue with backwards compatibility (as JimH stated).  Some have said that the onus is on the third party developer to keep up with OS changes but I personally think that is a lot to ask and that the OS needs to have backwards compatibility, but this is Apple after all. Maybe that's why I've never been an Apple fan  ;)

Or it could be a rogue PC that's to blame - getting somebody to check it out to see if there is something wrong with the PC could be worthwhile.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Rabbit

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2022, 11:29:39 am »

I wanted to let everyone know that with the update to Mac 12.3 and MC 29 all is working well again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2022, 11:47:45 am »

Thanks for letting us know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up