INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad Builds -- TV Users Please Read  (Read 3157 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Bad Builds -- TV Users Please Read
« on: January 28, 2022, 01:10:14 pm »

We published several bad builds that should be immediately replaced with 28.0.105 or higher.

Bad ones were 28.0.100 through 104.  The problem was fixed in 28.0.105.

It only affects TV recordings but it can cause loss of old recordings if you use our jtv format (not ts) for recordings.

If you don't use MC to record TV, this problem won't affect you.

I sincerely apologize for any problems this may have caused.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Bad Builds -- TV Users Please Read
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 01:18:10 pm »

Here's what Yaobing found:

There was this change in 28.0.100
Code: [Select]
5. NEW: Old time-shifting folders for non-DirectShow TV types (i.e. DMS and IPTV) can now be cleaned up (either manually or automatically).
which cleans up time-shifting folders for DMS and IPTV channels, but I wonder if it caused issue in traditional time-shifting folders. ...  was meant to clean up non-DirectShow time-shifting folders erroneously cleaned up JTV folders.

It happened only if  "Automatically clean up time-shifting folders daily" option was on or if you manually do “Clean up time-shifting folders…”

Betelgeus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 11:27:56 pm »

So, I lost over 500gbs of recorded shows, some very irreplaceable. I had just installed a new SSD for my media a couple weeks ago and was getting ready to pull it thinking it was the problem. I even checked here earlier today for a new build. Thought I was losing my mind along with my recordings. Is there any way to recover those deleted shows?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 11:44:04 pm »

Stop writing any new files to the drive and try a Data Recovery Program.  This is what rpalmer68 did (though some recordings has parts that had already been overwritten).  I don't know what program he used but you could PM him?  Good luck.
JRiver CEO Elect

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 02:03:29 pm »

Microsoft has their own deleted files recovery tool available on their store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-file-recovery/9n26s50ln705

I don't know how good it is, never used it, but thought of mentioning it, maybe it helps.

Betelgeus

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 07:16:16 pm »

I switched back to the old drive so nothing is overwritten and 'tried' Microsoft's File Recovery app but it's command line and I couldn't figure out the right command so I'm going to take my time and figure out which other file recovery app I should use. Any insight into the most intuitive free app would be appreciated. I'm hoping to find one that will allow me to recover the entire contents of the drive.
Thanks for your time.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 09:06:19 pm »

Testdisk is the best free option IMO, but there is a learning curve as there will be for practically any data recovery tool.

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 04:15:13 am »

I switched back to the old drive so nothing is overwritten and 'tried' Microsoft's File Recovery app but it's command line and I couldn't figure out the right command so I'm going to take my time and figure out which other file recovery app I should use.

I launched it now and it seems very easy to use.

What it does is this: it finds all the files matching the pattern you want on the disk partitions you specify, and copies what it finds to another folder, on another partition (you must not put the recovered files on the partitions where your deleted files were, as you will likely overwrite some of the deleted files you are trying to recover).

Let's suppose the disk with the deleted files was a disk connected to the computer and partitioned using the standard file system in Windows (NTFS). Let's also suppose the disk with the deleted files has the D: and E: partitions visible in Windows Explorer (or Disk Manager) when you connect the disk, and you are looking to recover only deleted .jtv files.

In this case you run it like this to have all the jtv deleted files it finds copied to a C:\MyRecoveredFiles folder:
winfr D: C:\MyRecoveredFiles /regular /a /n *.jtv
winfr E: C:\MyRecoveredFiles /regular /a /n *.jtv

If your files were located only in some folders, then you can use that in your search pattern to make things faster. Let's suppose your jtv files were in the "D:\Something\TV shows" and "E:\Something else\TV shows" folder. Then you run it like this:

winfr D: C:\MyRecoveredFiles /regular /a /n "Something\TV shows\*.jtv"
winfr E: C:\MyRecoveredFiles /regular /a /n "Something else\TV shows\*.jtv"

And if you want to recover any deleted files in those folders, not only jtv files, then you run it like this:

winfr D: C:\MyRecoveredFiles /regular /a /n "Something\TV shows\"
winfr E: C:\MyRecoveredFiles /regular /a /n "Something else\TV shows\"

The tool will also write a log file in "C:\MyRecoveredFiles" where it will list what it did.

Let us know if you need more help with the syntax. The documentation on https://aka.ms/winfrhelp is pretty good.

Notes:
  • I used /a so that you won't have to keep looking at the tool and have to press Enter when it wants a reply from you to continue. If you want to manually reply, then don't use /a in your command line.
  • I used /regular instead of /extended because I assume you partitioned the disk using NTFS, and because the reason for the missing files is that they were deleted, not because the hard disk went bad. If you partitioned the disk with ReFS or something else, use /extended. You can see what type of partitions you have on the disk in the Windows Disk Manager. Just press the Start button on the keyboard and start typing "disk manager". The entry that shows up is the Disk Manager thingy.
  • An even faster way to recover the files on NTFS drives that are healthy is to use /ntfs instead of /regular. You may try it out first to see if you're pleased with the results.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 10:10:43 am »

Just a reminder:

Each JTV recording is not just a single .jtv file.  It is a folder containing many files.

There should be at least one .jts file, one .jta file, one .jtf file, one .jti file, and one .jtr file.

There are multiple .cnk files, including some .jta.cnk files and some .jts.cnk files. 

A recording will need all of these files.  So it is a good idea to try recover ALL files contained in your current TV Recording folder and its subfolders.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Betelgeus

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 01:00:24 pm »

Thank you for the advice everybody. I ended up trying Recuva, the free version. I'm not sure if it's an inferior product or the few days I was unknowingly overwriting the files was the culprit but Recuva found that all of my recordings were corrupted. I still might try the Windows command line recovery before I switch recording back to the SSD. I still can't figure out the right command though. I'm trying to recover from 'Media Drive (H:)/recorded tv' to 'Local Disk (F:)/Recovered files 2'.   I doubt if this is right but is it close? 
'winfr H:\recorded tv F:\Recovered files 2 /regular /a /n .all'
I don't know what the command for 'all' is. Any more help would be appreciated.

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 06:47:56 am »

I'm trying to recover from 'Media Drive (H:)/recorded tv' to 'Local Disk (F:)/Recovered files 2'.   I doubt if this is right but is it close? 
'winfr H:\recorded tv F:\Recovered files 2 /regular /a /n .all'

This is the right command for your use case:

winfr H: "F:\Recovered files 2" /regular /a /n "recorded tv\"

You may also try this faster command, if your H partition is formatted using NTFS:

winfr H: "F:\Recovered files 2" /ntfs /a /n "recorded tv\"

The first argument to the command is the letter representing the disk partition where your deleted files were (in this case H).
The second argument is the complete folder path where you want the recovered files to be written to (in this case "F:\Recovered files 2").

Quotes (") are used around folder/file paths containing spaces.

The folder where your deleted files were is specified in the "filter", after the (/n) argument (in this case /n "recorded tv\").
In order to specify that "recorded tv" is a folder, not a file name, you have to put a backslash (\) after it, that's what the documentation says:
/n <filter>     - Filter search (wildcards allowed, trailing \ for folder)

"all" is not a valid argument for winfr, don't use it.

I recommend you connect the drive with the deleted files directly to your PC, don't access it over the network.

Note: the tool might only look for files found inside the "recorded tv" folder, and not inside any of its sub-folders like "recorded tv\subfolder 1".

Betelgeus

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 09:03:21 pm »

Thank you bogdanbz for your help. It worked but unfortunately didn't find any recoverable files. I'm assuming my first attempt at recovery using Recuva must have removed the originals. I'm just going to accept the loss but really appreciate your efforts and everyone else'.

Thank you!
Danny
Pages: [1]   Go Up