INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs do not finish - they skip to next track a few minutes in  (Read 1683 times)

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
Songs do not finish - they skip to next track a few minutes in
« on: February 15, 2022, 04:34:58 pm »

Hey all, I am getting many songs not making it to the end and skipping to the next track......all was working fine for months. It all started when I decided to try a smart playlist "100 random songs". No idea if that caused it, but it played about 4 songs and then started skipping songs part way through......and now it's happening a lot. pretty much every song doesn't make it to the end. I have restarted a few times. still doing it.

What can I do to stop this skipping? is there a setting somewhere? a log I can look at?

I am on Ubuntu, latest version - my main drive is a 256GB SSD and I have my music on another internal drive that's 2TB. Like I say, all was fine.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Songs do not finish - they skip to next track a few minutes in
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 06:18:22 pm »

Power cycle everything.

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 07:59:29 pm »

Didn't work. It's still skipping.

I'm not super confident in my Linux install, so I may start again. I had this all working great for months and then I decided to upgrade to an SSD, so I put that in the computer on the weekend and put Ubuntu on it - SO much faster.
Then I installed JRiver and restored my library after I copied all the files to the same location it was in before, the music folder in the home directory - worked fine
Then I moved all the songs to the other drive with JRiver move function - worked fine, and continued to work fine for days. I thought I was done.
Last night I analyzed al the music so I could do volume leveling. and I added volume levelling and up conversion to the DSP setting - so I wonder if that was or is it? But I have taken all that off, and tracks still skip.

I wonder if it's some king of weird Linux thing with the files being on a different drive. I'm not a Linux expert, I just like it for things like this b/c it's fast on my old PC and you can leave it on forever. But I tend to now know what I am doing and spend a lot of time futzing about with it. Maybe I should just get a new PC and put Windows on it and be done with it, I know Windows inside and out.

Anyway, I was wise enough to keep the old installation intact and I can boot to it and have things as they were before, and that is working fine again......but it's not and SSD  :(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 10:10:16 pm »

What is the output device and what is its connection?

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 09:52:53 am »

It’s a PC using a audioquest dragonfly black connected directly to my bluesound powernode analogue input.
I also have a sonos setup and that is acting up too. Songs skip or just stop. I was playing an album and on about song 5, it just stopped.

It’s all working fine today so far booted to my old hard drive.

I may just take another hack at the ssd this weekend. Something is off. I also may just ditch Linux all together and get a new small PC and use Windows.

Or would one of the machines you sell work for me?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 12:04:07 pm »

First step is to make sure that your files are in good shape: what happens when you play a track that skips in a different audio player?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 02:53:57 pm »

Are you playing via DLNA to a network device? It sounds like it.

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 03:10:48 pm »

First step is to make sure that your files are in good shape: what happens when you play a track that skips in a different audio player?

Good idea - I can play them in the native Linux app and see.......oh, and it's not a specific file, it's any file.....but if it skips using the native app, something is indeed wrong with the files

Are you playing via DLNA to a network device? It sounds like it.

I am using DNLA to my Sonos equipment, but not to my bluesound device.....it is connected directly to the analogue input from the JRiver server
Pages: [1]   Go Up